General interdiction complaint

it is not too hard to guess as well, if an interdiction is likely. Once you escaped though, fly a bit away from where you got interdicted - and then realign to your target - that can help with it - at least I made the experience that it is less likely to happen a second or third time in this case.

NPC interdictions can fail as well - if you are faster at the destination - it takes them a while to commence the interdiction, I often can arrive at the destination before they can attempt to interdict me. Those are the interdictions where your chat reads something like "acquired target vessel, commencing interdiction". You still can be faster than them.

What doesn't seem to help is leaving the "lane" - they will interdict anyway.

Last edited:
My take on this is that since you're flying the space cow you might have to accept that occasionally you'll get milked.

Get working on that Imperial rank and get yourself a Cutter. It's a different story when NPCs come up against those shields and bigger hardpoints. Either that or downsize to a Python, which is capable of delivering 200t+ and with 3 large hardpoints, knocking down any NPCs that come after you.

I've tried a T-9 and to be honest found it frustrating it really isn't the ship to be using to shoot down pirates (It can, I just don't want to do it).

to me this looks like misunderstanding on how the game works....

WHEN a mission spawns opposition that will chase you, unless they get killed, what you experience is for the most part how things will work....

First part, there is a difference between by beating the interdiction attempt or submitting/failing....

Beating, you successfully evade the interdiction, the NPC is still after you and since you are still mostly going in a stright line towards your destionation, bad guy pops up behind you and interdicts again, and again, and again... and when they do, they pull you to them! so you loose distance to your target....

Failing/submitting, now tye come after you muich faster, as their FSD is cooled down as fast as yours... so you enter Super cruise, and they can enter shortly after, and once again, you are most likely just flying in a straight line towards your target, and getting pulled back to the NPC again...

Now, WHEN the games spawns these NPCs. it will tell you, you will get a mission update stating this fact, and how many there will be.. Killing them yourself in a Type 9, is quite a tall order, so that is usually not an option. But who said you had to kill them! one way to kill them, is to survive long enough for Authorities to arrive, now boosting in straight line away is bad, since the authotrity ships arrive where entered the instance, so if you have boosted away 10km that means any auythority ships arriving have to chase your 10+km to even begin to take care of that NPC. So better distracting NPC while you wait and evade. add a SLF hangar, and hire a pilot, and launch it and it will attack the NPC, and soon will the NPC target your SLF instead of you, and this will make the wait for authority easier... NPC will still rtandomly target you, so evade and whatever you do, do not shoot yourself at NPC...
Once Authorioty has arrived, usualluy 2-3 ships, they focus target the NPC and stick around until NPC is dead, and since your SLF hit it, you should get the mission bonus and the bounty the NPC had.

Now the above can still be quite tricky, and you could very well die before authority arrives... so the best course of action is to avoid even getting interdicted. and this means new Supercruise flying skills. DO NOT FLY IN A STRAIGHT LINE TOWARDS THE TARGET when a mission NPC is announced!

Becasuse the NPC will spawn near the start, ie, BEHIND YOU. so all the NPC need todo, is to masterfully fly around the star, which they can fail, and then line behind you and start to chain interdict you... so what you want todo, is to fly of in something like a 90 degree of course and fly in a giant loop towards the target, idealy you should arrive at your target from the opposite side, from if you had flown directly towards the target...

What this accomplishes, is that for the NPC to get behind you, they have to fly further away, and then turn around, but since you are going in big arc, they have to chase the location where they can interdict you from... and with some practice, you will arrive safely near the station and they will only jump in on you when you are near the station and now they will turn and run.

To make this easier, ALWAYS target the NPC chasing you, look at your radar. if they are behind you, they are in a position where they might be able to interdict you. also pay attention to their direction (their hologram), as that shows their relative heading towards you, and they will always have the same direction on their hologram when they can interdict you, so if you see them lining up behind you, make turn. and if get caught in a bad spot, jump to another system for another go...you will most of the time, get some time to start the arc flying path, before the NPC arrives in the system again.

Now the flying in an arc thing does not cost you that much extra time, especially if you take into consideration any time that would be lost if you got interdicted...

Sidenote about supercruise, pay attention to your speed, as flying close to starts, planets etc slows you down... so when flying away from the star, pick a heading that do not have planets in the path...that will build up your speed and thus distance faster...
Also NPC AI are a bit stupid, they will gladly crash into whatever planet/star that is beetween you and them. so an expert (elite) move, is to actually on purpose, place a planet between you and the NPC...and they will most of the time, crash into the planet, and be gone for quite some time... before they can chase you again! this one takes quite alot of practice pull off... but it is very fun when it happens... I rarely can do these on purpose, but I can see when it happens!

Another thing to pay attention to is the level of the mission, the higher the level, like Dangerous, Deadly, Elite, they will most likely spawn those Anacondas, that will eat your Type 9 for breakfast in seconds...and the best defence aganst this is to newer get interdicted from them!!!

A few nots on outfitting....you are not here to fight, you are here to survive.. avoiding interdictions is the best defence, but when things go bad, more hitpoints is always better to have...
  • Skip the bi-weave shields, you need as much shields as possible, so install A-rated shield. even better would be a prismatic shield, but that is a 4-5 week long wait to get that one, but well worth it.
  • Use military grade composite hull.
  • SLF if you are going with this option, place it in the size 6 slot, as that will give you two fighters, so once the first get destroyed, you can launch the 2nd one directly, and hopefully that one lasts until the 1st fighter have been rebuilt. If you only have a size 5 SLF, you must wait for the rebuild process to complete befgore you can launch it again. meaning, more time for NPC to shoot at you...
*Put 4 A-rated shield boosters.

Normally when using a trade build, you have the shield in the size 5 slot, but if you have problem surviving, then pick a bigger slot, so the size 6, or 7 and lastly the size 8..
Another strategy could be, once mission NPC's spawn, make the deliver the best you can and then change your build, but the biggest shield in, add the SLF and then bait the NPC's to be killed by the authority ships, and then once all mission targets have been destroyed, swap back to the cargo optimised build and complete the mission as normal.

I have on purpose avoided mention anything about engineering, as it is not needed, but anything that can improve your defence, is beneficial in these situations. Even Grade 1, Grade 2 etc of these are worth it! and these are cheap compared to the Grade 5! So for survivability, these are recommendations to do. There are ofcourse other sutff like the FSD,that always is good things to upgrade...
  • Heavy Duty Hull
  • Reinforced Shields
  • Heavy Duty on Shields boosters (this will cause a power problem! and require Overcharged Powerplant!)

Hm, I made quite good experiences with the Bi-wave shield on smaller vessels with a quite high boost speed. Once the shield is down, boosting away and the bi-wave is getting online pretty quickly again - with luck the boost enables me as well to get my FSD charging up again and I might be back in supercruise before they can block me again.

to me this looks like misunderstanding on how the game works....

WHEN a mission spawns opposition that will chase you, unless they get killed, what you experience is for the most part how things will work....

First part, there is a difference between by beating the interdiction attempt or submitting/failing....

Beating, you successfully evade the interdiction, the NPC is still after you and since you are still mostly going in a stright line towards your destionation, bad guy pops up behind you and interdicts again, and again, and again... and when they do, they pull you to them! so you loose distance to your target....

This isn't quite correct... :) (Bolding is mine.)

Evading a mission spawned NPC interdiction is a win, and that NPC will be gone for good. Of course, all higher ranking missions have multiple hostile NPC's coming for you so the next one will spawn directly behind you ready to interdict. So, if a (delivery) mission is Elite ranked and it spawns an incoming enemy alert there will be four Anaconda's out to get you, if you evade all four interdictions then you are home free without firing so much as a shot.

And of course, if there are multiple missions stacked it's always possible that there will be multiple incoming enemy alerts and so multiples of hostile NPC's out to get you, and it's not uncommon for a random pirate to spawn in addition to the mission spawned pirates...

I suspect sometimes newer players think that this is all the same NPC (not suggesting you do :) ), hence why many of these types of threads appear.

As long as your ship has fluid pitch and roll ability there is not much to fear imo - at least not with NPC pirates. So care for good thrusters and avoid to use yaw, replace it with roll and pitch and escape from the interdiction - it counts as combat win afaik and the same npc will not try to interdict again on this leg - with a divided delivery mission it is different, he might again show up on other legs of the mission.

Everything you are doing wrong, is right here, in your own post.

Your ship build is rubbish. You have sacrificed any form of defence or survivability to carry more cargo.

Thats the truth of the matter.
I know I traded combat for cargo. I was not surprised I died in the slightest.

Do you have any information related to chain interdiction?

i made a silly mistake lately - being in my Dolphin charging up my FSD for the next system, when I got interdicted - I was up to winning the interdiction game like always, but then the ship computer said "ready to engage" - and I decided to go for the jump - but aligning to the jump target made my enemies pull me out of supercruise before the FSD engaged (that was freaking quick, from just 1 cube left to full within seconds) - now my FSD was blocked of course - but my bi-wave shield and high boost speed saved my butt, I could make it to the point where my FSD was charging up again and I could make the jump - still, 20% structural damage - I'd better not change again to the system jump when I'm not already aligned to the jump target.

Well, I made a couple of mistakes while aligning - firstly i didn't recognize how much away the jump target was from my escape vector - secondly I put speed to 100% instead to stay at 50% for a quick align and then go to 100% for the jump - stupid mistake that is, otherwise I would most likely have made the jump.

Last edited:
I practiced evading interdiction quite a lot, and am able to avoid them the vast majority of the time. When I don't, typically I can jump away before they can do anything. Did not work this time. My type-9 heavy was killed in under 10 seconds. I have 5c biweave and over 500 armor. I am trying to build enough reputation and money for a clipper so I CAN defend myself. I really enjoy being a space-trucker, so it's frustrating when the AI has insane advantage, especially in having no cool-down on interdiction the way players do. Why don't they have a cool-down?
Biweaves are designed for combat in normal space when you have a series of battles with short breakers in between, they sacrifice some strength for faster recovery.
For a cargo ship you are generally better with a stronger shield that charges more slowly as your fights will generally be infrequent one off events.
Given the above you might do better with a 5A shield or larger.

I have never interdicted anyone so have no idea of the relative cooldowns.

I have also never had serial interdictions from the same NPC unless I dropped from supercruise rather than winning the interdiction which is not always possible with the T9. But to be fair most of my interdictors would be random as I rarely bother with missions.

Ninjadictions I call them now. They seem to pop up in the most convenient places for them to successfully initiate an interdiction. For example, after making a jump and successfully evading an interdiction, then jumping to the system to hand in the mission, the NPC I had evaded popped up between me and the station I was heading for! Amazing tech these NPCs have. :)

This isn't quite correct... :) (Bolding is mine.)

Evading a mission spawned NPC interdiction is a win, and that NPC will be gone for good.

That is a big negatory on that one.

The Npc's are not killed therefore they aren't gone for good and can reappear on subsequent instance changes and jumps...

Winning the interdiction does however, give them a longer cool down time so you are unlikely to see them again in the same system.

The Npc's are not killed therefore they aren't gone for good and can reappear on subsequent instance changes and jumps...

Winning the interdiction does however, give them a longer cool down time so you are unlikely to see them again in the same system.
Yeah, that is certainly the case - like I got an enemy warning via message - for as long as my destination wasn't that mission target, there was no interdiction and I could do other missions before. But when I did that said mission (3 jumps to target) I saw in chat after the first jump that they discovered me and an interdiction is upcoming and they interdicted me before I could jump to the next system - well, i succeeded, but I had still 2 jumps to the destination - the next interdiction happened then in the destination system just shortly before reaching my destination - so there is a cool down and if the distance to the destination in the last system is short enough, one might reach the destination before they interdict a second time, but if not, an interdiction near the destination is pretty much imminent.

it was deliver 4000 of a material for 9M. is that an example of what you describe? It said I could be attacked. That said, it's irrelevant to my complaint, which is "AI can continuously interdict you until you fail, but players cannot"

Its a Wing Mission as previously stated but OP hasnt specifically replied saying they now realise that so repeating.

Wing Missions will have NPCs designed to take on 4 targets. Thats one of the problems youre having.

Rebuild the T9, go for A rated normal shield (not bi-weave) for max HP over quicker recharge. Add a few MRP / HRP in the small 1 & 2 slots. Add a heatsink or chaff (I prefer Heatsinks) Youll probably end up hauling 512T with a 7A Shield so 8 trips in your OP for 4K tons. Can also add a fighter but shouldnt be needed. This is purely to buy time to escape when attacked with 4 Pips to shields. This solves the other problem.

Personally I dont bother fighting the interdiction, its far quicker to submit and wake usually and can keep nose pointed at target ready for boost & wake with 10s cooldown. Drop a heatsink or chaff if needed.

NPCs can spawn behind you wherever you are and repeatedly. Will often wake out and re-appear with new shields and hull immediately behind you again. Unfair but thats the way it is, cant change it so prepare for it.

T9 can use Turreted only if you want to fight, combined with HRP/MRP & 7A Shield and decent SLF you should be able to kill the NPC but it will take time.

But main problem is its a Wing mission, like Indiana Jones is advised by the Templar Knight, 'Choose wisely' when picking missions :) Yes it has changed since few years ago but normal missions you should have no trouble. Wing have blue chevron type things next to the mission in BBS and state clearly in description its a Wing....but we've all done it at some point just looking at the rewards.

Usually you get 4 NPCs per mission attacking, 1 at a time and then if they get killed the 2nd starts after you and so on. Shorter SC travel time / destination closer to main star will reduce the time they have to interdict so check in mission description how far to station. You cant 'lose' them apart from killing them until all 4 are killed so decide whether running or fighting and plan for it.

You can take missions a few ranks above your level and NPCs will scale to mission rank not your rank for this so take lower ranked if needed.

Engineering will drastically improve ship in all ways as well but thats a whole new ballgame.

Practice makes perfect, keep at it and one day soon it will just become a nuisance. I flew a shieldless T9 (752 Tons iirc) at recent CSN CG in Open with 8 jumps each way and suffered repeated attacks from players and NPCs but got there with min 70% hull every time, sometimes 98%. I wont be doing that again though but shows whats possible in time (with Engineering obviously).

Ok, if you say so... :)

I have never, not ever, not once had a mission spawned incoming enemy NPC appear to interdict me again after I have evaded an interdiction. Granted, I rarely evade interdictions, but I am pretty much always doing missions, and since most of my delivery missions were / are simple one jump ones, the only times I am ever interdicted are in the destination system. And while I've had NPC's appear after dropping out of SC at the destination station (the instance change), these have not been ones that I had previously avoided.

Typically the only reason that I'll evade an interdiction is if the NPC has waked out just before it's been destroyed and if I can't be bothered having the whole fight again from scratch (as it will be a newly spawned one at 100% hull and shields), which I have to admit was not a very common occurance. Never seen one of them again. :)

it was deliver 4000 of a material for 9M. is that an example of what you describe? It said I could be attacked. That said, it's irrelevant to my complaint, which is "AI can continuously interdict you until you fail, but players cannot"

Well ok, that's a wing mission, you basically had NPC's sent to intercept and destroy 3 ships all after little old you, by yourself, on your lonesome, maybe 12 of them, maybe elite because they are expecting a wing of players. maybe, just maybe it was a mistake taking a wing mission? They don't pay well done by yourself anyway, you are better off taking the missions meant for single players, you can turn them over faster and get more for the time spent doing missions.

OP, had that situation few times before, game didn't allow me to finish mission, it was one interdiction after another, all elite anacondas, escaped like 4, 5times but next time my t9 was finished, and I even changed target to some random station to go for repair, but didn't make it.
Annoyed with all that, I just bought Cutter, engineered cores, no shields and so I can just boost away. I gave up on type9 for heavy hauler, didn't want to sacrifice cargo space and jump range for weapons and modules, that just, in my opinion, negates type 9's role as a heavy hauler.
If defense and/or speed is needed while doing cargo missions, then you use python, anaconda, vette, type10, cutter...
And I like flying heavy haulers from time to time, shame it all came down to most expensive ship(rank locked) being the best choice as a heavy truck for safe and efficient hauling, talking about PvE.

So I'm doing a mission where I need to transport cargo one system over. I get interdicted and I break out, followed by an immediate interdiction where I break out, followed by an immediate interdiction where I break out. Repeat seven times. On the eighth time, I fail to break out, and get killed immediately.

My question of course is, "who is this fun for?". If this continues, there's no possible way I could complete this mission. By the time I line up to the target again I'm being interdicted. I'm just in this constant limbo of being interdicted in the same spot over and over again until I fail and get killed. It's miserable.

Am I just not supposed to take this kind of mission? Is this by design or is it just a side effect of some bad programming somewhere? Why can an AI interdict immediately after failing when players cannot do that?

Has anyone else experienced this, or am I just getting terrible luck? I've never tried this kind of mission before, so I don't know if this is par for the course or not.
Just high wake to a nearby star and then back again. Problem solved.

Top Bottom