General wants in Odyssey, basic FPS STUFF without the FLUFF.

I think it would be popular if there are a few planets where you can go down and have a dam good scrap with some natives.

'Stop throwing bloody plasma balls at me!'

I can think of a really big list of features that would be great for supporting first person interaction in ED. Shooting at other people (npc or otherwise) isn't necessarily at the top of that list either. But that really does need to be a big part of it, it needs to work well and it needs to be fun so the concept of not borrowing at all from games that have demonstrated how to achieve that would be a huge, nose-cutting, face-spite.

CQC was, conceptually at least, an ideal way to appeal to a certain market that the game just happened to be entering at that time... To replicate that exact same, boxed-in, isolated model would be a similarly massive mistake but I don't think that's what's going to happen. I do feel that on foot game play is likely to be mostly segregated from what we have (much like SRV game play is segregated from ships) but my guess is that it'll start with localised, planetary content. I'm hoping for proper buildings with this... Even better would be if we have proper buildings but also get to walk about domed settlements and access the interior of stations on planets.

But... Shooting stuff is going to be important. And I hope they do borrow heavily from FPS games that have used fun control systems and combat that is equally fun. What I'd like more than that, though, is a bunch of scenarios that we can take part in that aren't restricted to scanning data points....

Infiltration, piracy, bounty hunting, smuggling, even perhaps trade and prospecting (on different scales perhaps) and, of course, all out war... If these are done right, if they're done in a way that neatly nestles into the existing game's lore and mood then I doubt we'll get anything remotely similar to CoD or any other FPS.

The scope for exciting game play is huge with this. I can't think that all we'll get is an average team death match or battlegrounds type mediocrity on rocky worlds...

Infiltration, piracy, bounty hunting, smuggling, even perhaps trade and prospecting (on different scales perhaps) and, of course, all out war... If these are done right, if they're done in a way that neatly nestles into the existing game's lore and mood then I doubt we'll get anything remotely similar to CoD or any other FPS.
I always disliked the mission to "get into a base and interact with a terminal" idea. It's not like you can just "sneak in" with an SRV - the damned thing is too big to hide behind a wall. A person on foot can crouch, quickly hide behind a post, (old) duck under a parked vehicle, i.e., HIDE.

I'm not convinced FPS and procedurally-generated are a good combo to be honest as you either repeat the same very polished thing over and over again (the same thargoid lair mission ad infinitum) or you're in danger of it just being a case of shooting some blokes as they move around a bit in a variety of locations.

But the fact that I can't really imagine how it will be done has me intrigued.

I'm not convinced FPS and procedurally-generated are a good combo to be honest as you either repeat the same very polished thing over and over again (the same thargoid lair mission ad infinitum) or you're in danger of it just being a case shooting some blokes as they move around a bit in a variety of locations.

But the fact that I can't really imagine how it will be done has me intrigued.

Well, I think the hope is that's it's integrated well with the rest of the gameplay so that the on-foot portion isn't the be-all focus but just broadens the scope of what you can do and opens up the feeling of autonomy and variety.

If you're stuck on foot in one procedurally generated location, or if you're constantly having to walk around one type of station, that would saturate your over-familiarity threshold fast, but assuming the whole package remains a spaceship game first and foremost, with periodic excursions on foot and on land, in a reasonable variety of different environment types (limited by the art team and number of dev hours available, naturally) then the level of repetition might not be too bad.

Or to rephrase that, might not be worse than the repetition is currently. 😆

To me, it's not about adding one thing that's a bottomless pit of novelty, it's just about adding a few more avenues of activity that break up the existing reptition a bit, and more environments to make that repetition less obvious.

But Frontier are not here to please you, as hard as that may be to believe. Frontier are a business here to make as much profit as they can for their shareholders.
Considering elites history, they have a lot to thank for to their fan base. They don't have to go out of their way to please the community but they would be fools to ignore that.

Anyone who pre-orders
Pre-ordering and paying for beta access are both bad imo, neither give incentive to compete the game (there's examples out there).

anyone who buy's cosmetics
Cosmetics for micro transactions is something I'll agree to, as long as it stays cosmetics and not something that could impact game play.
There's games I've paid three times in DLCs and still failed to deliver. At least with cosmetics I can still play the game and choose if I want to separate a bit of money to support the devs and have some eye candy in return.

On topic of what I'd like to see in odyssey, not sure tbh. I still want the game to be primarily about space and space ships.
I know what I wouldn't want to see and that's a no brainer. I do not want to carry 200t of cargo 50kg a time, or any variation of that, in order to gain access to new power creep.
That's basically it, I would like that the fps game play is more game play than a task.

Ya'll know them wrecked 'condas and t9s dotted across the bubble? The ones in Orrere and the interceptor crash sites in the Pleiades? It'd be nice if we could actually break into them and explore their interior for logs, mats, or whatnot else.
I'm totally with the OP on point 9, I'm sick of console peasants ruining otherwise good games by being included in them.
B-b-b-but... muh master race! :LOL:

Pretty sure there's gonna be hover tanks...

2h8l9HN.jpg

We need fluff.

Bullet time
Hoverboard
Smart bullets that track target.
Cloaking
Stealth kills from behind
Thargoid fatality kills
Ritual of smearing Thargoid blood over your armour.
Landmines
I better stop now.

Must have chompers or uninstall.

"This episode was badly written!"

Cheers,

Drew.
Brilliant film, ruined when it went to be shown on TV and they re-dubbed Sigourney Weaver's line "Well [word] that!" (I didn't put the actual word here as per forum rules, but you get the idea).

Brilliant film, ruined when it went to be shown on TV and they re-dubbed Sigourney Weaver's line "Well [word] that!" (I didn't put the actual word here as per forum rules, but you get the idea).
Honestly, I felt that really awkwardly obvious redub was PERFECTLY in line with the overall theme and aesthetic of the whole movie and the Galaxy Quest show as presented within it.

I know I probably won't get it, since it seems like all the space legs stuff will only be on certain planets or accessed through certain means like CQC - but I would kill for some sort of EVA. Maybe to repair hull or something.

It's one of the most terrifying and yet amazing parts of Rodina to me. I once hopped a good distance from my ship to a nearby tiny asteroid with an installation door on it that I wanted to check out.

It's easy to accidentally fling off into the void, and if you don't have enough jetpack fuel to get back to your ship... well, bye.

since it seems like all the space legs stuff will only be on certain planets or accessed through certain means like CQC

I VERY much doubt this will be the case. Some people on the forums are just taking the advice of controlling expectations to absurd lengths.

Don't get sucked into the anti-speculation.

The "imagining complex, unrealistic scenarios for how it might be messed up" train can be just as bad as the unrealistic hype train.

Based on how previous updates have been done, based on the whole ethos of the game, based on stuff FDev has directly talked about in the past, I'm 99% certain you'll be able to walk on every planet currently accessible in the game, plus the new atmospheric planets, and there will be at least thousands of bases/environments/etc. to interact with on foot. There's also a better than 50/50 change we get to walk around at least the bridges of our ships, seeing as they're already modelled and can be explored in VR currently.

In which case, EVA is entirely possible. Don't hitch your hopes and dreams to it though. If I had to put a figure on it, I'd say it's a 30% change.

I know I probably won't get it, since it seems like all the space legs stuff will only be on certain planets or accessed through certain means like CQC - but I would kill for some sort of EVA. Maybe to repair hull or something.

It's one of the most terrifying and yet amazing parts of Rodina to me. I once hopped a good distance from my ship to a nearby tiny asteroid with an installation door on it that I wanted to check out.

It's easy to accidentally fling off into the void, and if you don't have enough jetpack fuel to get back to your ship... well, bye.
We don't know what walking around will and won't include yet (other than being able to play in VR when it launches)
So don't listen to any rumours. Frontier will tell us when they are ready, what walking around will include.

Top Bottom