Horizons Graphic Tweaks, Dreamscape Feeling & alii

Only know of those that change the colour of the ship's HUD but you're probably already aware of them. What I meant was that this thread needs to be pinned to the top of the forum page so it doesn't eventually drop out of sight.

Well, a few of my threads have been asked to be pinned, but the Mods don't think they can be of any use.

Should I uninstall SweetFX before attempting this or just turn it off in game by using the Scroll Lock key?

You can leave it on, but keep in mind that tweaks will overlap with the FX.

Just tried this in VR, felt like I was 6 hours into a heavy LSD trip. What do I adjust to tone down the galaxy background?

I think it's on the OP already. Should be MilkywayBrightness or something.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

I fiddled yesterday a bit more with galaxy background. Center of the galaxy BG is still quite bright, but not super, but I rather like the tails of it. It's possible to remove the bright center but then then galaxy BG shrinks to real small.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7397/27600374122_60df726d6b_h.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7207/27084718373_cd05c27915_h.jpg

That looks delicious!

Well, a few of my threads have been asked to be pinned, but the Mods don't think they can be of any use.
There's been a number of threads throughout the years but none has been pinned unfortunately. Dunno why really. I know one of the mods is quite the modder himself. ;)

There's been a number of threads throughout the years but none has been pinned unfortunately. Dunno why really. I know one of the mods is quite the modder himself. ;)

Hehehe ;) There, I meant the Discord server list, the Engineering databases, things to help people enjoy the game, you know. But maybe it's not meant to be enjoyed :D

I would much rather do this route then using SweetFX. Is there a way to modify the color balance in the Override so it doesn't look so orange and blah? I'm using SweetFX to make the colors pop more and increased the sharpness slightly then did your technique to increase planets, stars and nebula textures but I reduced the galaxy BG instead of increasing it.

I fiddled yesterday a bit more with galaxy background. Center of the galaxy BG is still quite bright, but not super, but I rather like the tails of it. It's possible to remove the bright center but then then galaxy BG shrinks to real small.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7397/27600374122_60df726d6b_h.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7207/27084718373_cd05c27915_h.jpg

I used to have the galaxy background blue like that, but forgot where I found the settings for it. How did you do that?

I used to have the galaxy background blue like that, but forgot where I found the settings for it. How did you do that?

Latest fiddling. Reshade settings affect quite a lot to the final result so I doubt you get it like that. This background gets brighter in certain situations like the vanilla and then the background is more bright. But luckily it's like this in a lot of cases.

27714101715_e6aeeed706_h.jpg

<High> <LocalisationName>$QUALITY_HIGH;</LocalisationName>
<NebulasCount>30</NebulasCount>
<NebulasInBackgroundCount>40</NebulasInBackgroundCount>
<LowResNebulasCount>16</LowResNebulasCount>
<HighResNebulasCount>1</HighResNebulasCount>
<LowResNebulaDimensions>64</LowResNebulaDimensions>
<HighResNebulaDimensions>256</HighResNebulaDimensions>
<LowResSamplesCount>35</LowResSamplesCount>
<HighResSamplesCount>138</HighResSamplesCount>
<MilkyWayInstancesCount>16000</MilkyWayInstancesCount>
<LocalDustBrightness>-0.15</LocalDustBrightness>
<MilkywayInstancesBrightness>0.02</MilkywayInstancesBrightness>
<MilkywayInstancesSize>5.0</MilkywayInstancesSize>
<MilkyWayInstancesOffscreenRTEnabled>false</MilkyWayInstancesOffscreenRTEnabled>
<StarInstanceCount>4000</StarInstanceCount>
</High>

Last edited:
Been playing with the MilkyWayInstanceCount and the StarInstanceCount parameters, and here's what I understood.

MWIC is set in High Settings at 16000 by default, which could be a diameter, given that the extent of the Map mode seems to stretch to about 1,600ly.

SIC impacts both the skybox and the galmap (both realistic/map modes).

I tried a few values. First, increasing the MWIC doesn't seem to change anything (I tried up to 32000); same Map mode size, etc. Second, it doesn't seem that the SIC is the actual number of stars displayed, there must be another parameter (visibility according to brightness?); but it has indeed an impact. I increased the value, it worked up until 120,000, then I tried 480,000 and it just removed the stars for half the Galaxy! (see screenies below) But, no such impact on the galmap, where there seemed to be even more stars than before in realistic mode. I finally set the value at 240,000; and it works, you can see more stars in the skybox... Haven't figured out the numbers' rule here, because me brain is no math-friendly.

StarCount to 10:
PBCmGZa.png

bUXTT0y.png

StarInstanceCount to 20,000:
1oRWzqx.png

9aVrDrm.png

StarInstanceCount to 80,000 (no visible difference in the skybox, or I was looking in the wrong direction):
TeUcTom.png

UyqKTmY.png

L8aLpOY.jpg

StarInstanceCount at 120,000; where you can see more stars in the skybox, though it's not obvious at all (added a montage); Map Mode stayed the same, probably because i lacked a supplement of stars to show:
Standard:
KONtw7w.png

Modded:
k3L5ur4.png

Ap6tacp.png

Highlights of the new stars between 80,000 and 120,000:
KsPOViv.png

Finally, StarInstanceCount at 240,000:
dhmB5QQ.png

2PtH6kl.jpg

Now the puzzling bit. Below is a montage of the difference between 120,000 and 240,000. It's not very clear that the latter adds more stars, whereas it's obvious that with each setting, a different part of the skybox seems to benefit from the buff. The blue stars belong to the 240K setting, the pink ones to the 120K setting, white ones belong to both (they appear in both settings).

ZegByoN.png

What to make of this?...

For fun, a galaxy half-full or half-empty of stars:
YiqiaMq.png

Last edited:
Also bookmarked for later perusal. I actually found this page looking for a graphics thread as the last week or so although my graphics in general are fine I have been having a problem with the radar screen going blurred and smoky as soon as it hits the 150mtrs mark while landing on a planet or moon. Otherwise it is fine not sure if it is a bug in my game or a setting on my card needs tweaked?. Anyone had this happen and how did you resolve it?.

Also bookmarked for later perusal. I actually found this page looking for a graphics thread as the last week or so although my graphics in general are fine I have been having a problem with the radar screen going blurred and smoky as soon as it hits the 150mtrs mark while landing on a planet or moon. Otherwise it is fine not sure if it is a bug in my game or a setting on my card needs tweaked?. Anyone had this happen and how did you resolve it?.

I only noticed recently the cockpit texture going low-res and blurry when i jump, and going back to high-res and detailed about one or two seconds before dropping. It may be due to me using larger textures than the default ones...

This issue is because your VRAM is too low for these uber changes. Elite Dangerous has some sort of auto management with VRAM and instead of stuttering, ED simply lowers resolution on some of its assets (like the dashboard when hyperjumping). Lower or remove the changes made to the .ini to resolve the issue, or get a better graphics card. :)

This issue is because your VRAM is too low for these uber changes. Elite Dangerous has some sort of auto management with VRAM and instead of stuttering, ED simply lowers resolution on some of its assets (like the dashboard when hyperjumping). Lower or remove the changes made to the .ini to resolve the issue, or get a better graphics card. :)

Firstly, thanks for the reply I am an older gent and understand your reply but am unsure what you mean by the .ini?.

Firstly, thanks for the reply I am an older gent and understand your reply but am unsure what you mean by the .ini?.

Oh! >.< Sorry my bad! I've re-read your post now lol.
I know that Horizons does have a bug with the planet terrain render on ultra. Maybe this is what you're experiencing? If so, try setting your terrain settings from ultra to high.

Oh! >.< Sorry my bad! I've re-read your post now lol.
I know that Horizons does have a bug with the planet terrain render on ultra. Maybe this is what you're experiencing? If so, try setting your terrain settings from ultra to high.

Thanks I will try that. [up]

Top Bottom