Graphics Mod to Remove Haze

IMO the lighting changes introduced with Beyond 3.3 have benefits and shortcomings. A major benefit is the dark side of planets is even darker. However, a shortcoming is the "haze" which obscures detail. This is very noticeable in VR, particularly inside stations and on planet surfaces with low light.

I thought the haze was a tinted layer that formed part of the new lighting system. However, it turns out that it is a pixel shader that can be removed. The two screenshots below have been taken straight off my VR mirror and are self-explanatory:

With Pixel Shader
OnOlDFZ.jpg
Without Pixel Shader
04psDW6.jpg

IMPORTANT UPDATE - MOD NOW DOES A NUMBER OF THINGS. GO TO POST #183 FOR FURTHER INFO AND LATEST VERSION

Last edited:
Does this affect ring system/asteroid belt 'fog' as well?

Don't know, but will be interesting to find out. I suspect the "fog" (which I notice is very thick since 3.3 dropped) uses a different shader, but I'll need to take a trip to my local gas giant. :)

EDIT: Answer is no. Seems a different shader is used in rings. Below are the comparison screenies I took:

Without shader mod
qly2DoS.jpg
With shader mod
3dVDQgN.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting !

New lighting is really bad on my Rift.

Vive Pro is much better but still in need of de-hazing inside stations.

Will install tonight and report back.

Don't know, but will be interesting to find out. I suspect the "fog" (which I notice is very thick since 3.3 dropped) uses a different shader, but I'll need to take a trip to my local gas giant. :)

EDIT: Answer is no. Seems a different shader is used in rings. Below are the comparison screenies I took:

That is ashame - since the update the fog in some belts give off a really wierd pixelation effect on the edges of asteriods, would have been really nice to disable the fog to resolve the issue on a temporary basis.

I'll try the fix anyway as stations look way to washed out with haze at the moment - cheers!

Avago Earo

Banned

Without shader mod
With shader mod

Cheers.

Have you tried it to confirm? I might try it later when I have the opportunity.
No, I will wait to see if FDev tweak the graphics themselves in an update. As many individuals have complained about the new settings and in particular the over white washed out look.

Instead I have added to the GraphicsConfigurationOveride.xml file and lowered the lighting via the filmic values. Will look for the thread on that to link too.

Update,,, here we go, the good Cmdr AD has begun a new thread on the matter....
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...s-Make-Space-Dark-Again-Mk-3?highlight=Filmic

Flimley

Last edited:
Just to chime in, I've been using a few shader fixers to tweak the graphics to my liking, also. I've found that they are generally stable, although now and then one will silently stop working. Restarting the game fixes them when they do.

Back in the day, when this type of modding was first presented, the folks at FD decided that it was not a violation of anything since it's local to your machine and affects appearance only. This was on Reddit a couple years ago.

Here's a clip of the FD post (link):

Hi everyone,

As this particular modification does not give any gameplay bonus (you may even argue that it makes navigation a little harder in normal space), we're happy for you to use this mod if lack of space dust is your cup of tea.

Bear in mind that this still won't be officially supported and if the code that the mod depends needs to be changed in an update you may find you experience unintended side effects or the game stops working. Please ensure you disable the mod if you do start to see any problems.

-CMDR Vanguard​

Pretty sure you can switch it off in the graphics menu, I'll need to check which one it is. Effects maybe?
(obviously not the same thing, but removes the haze in stations)

Last edited:
Anyone else have the problem where a haze shows up in your cockpit when dropping out of supercruise on a planet or outside a station? Like as soon as you drop someone turns the gamma up to 100. Then I can't figure out how to get rid of it.

CMDR Uliando has made some other shader fixes that you may like and uploaded them to the old Dust Buster thread (post 113 on). :)

Last edited:
I am getting low FPS of 45 in different conditions now after update. Will this help restore some FPS back to before update.

Mod works great.

Ironically im finding that i might even like the brighter interiors - I put this down to the Vive Pros awesome contrast punching through the haze and it actually looks pretty sweet in comparison to the moody shader.

On the Rift it looks dog poo with the hazy shader though. Literally unplayable.

IMO the lighting changes introduced with Beyond 3.3 have benefits and shortcomings. A major benefit is the dark side of planets is even darker. However, a shortcoming is the "haze" which obscures detail. This is very noticeable in VR, particularly inside stations and on planet surfaces with low light.

I thought the haze was a tinted layer that formed part of the new lighting system. However, it turns out that it is a pixel shader that can be removed. The two screenshots below have been taken straight off my VR mirror and are self-explanatory:

With Pixel Shader
Without Pixel Shader

If you would like to try the mod, then:

1. Download 3DMigoto from GitHub.

2. Extract the archive into the same directory as your ED executable (the directory will be something like "D:\Frontier\EDLaunch\Products\elite-dangerous-64").

3. Make sure that "d3dx.ini" file has "hunting=0" set. The default is "1" which won't stop ED from working, but you may notice a performance hit and suck up memory. Setting it to "0" switches hunting off (and disables the numpad key bindings used by 3DMitogo).

4. Place the attached shader fix file in the new "ShaderFix" directory which is in the above game directory.

That's it. Ready to go! Just play ED as you normally do.

DISCLAIMER:

- 3DMigoto is a modding tool, so I'm not telling you to use it. If FD bans you or your pet explodes then its your problem. :eek: That being said, 3DMigoto has been around for a while and is used by the "Space Dust Remover" mod in ED. Moreover, 3DMigoto can be easily uninstalled at anytime simply by clicking on the "uninstall.bat" file in the above game directory.

- The shader fix hasn't been tested much. It seems to work swimmingly, but certainly post your experiences and observations here. I like to know what other areas of the game (if any) it effects and whether the effect is good or bad. Before and after screenies would be good - just remove the shader fix file from the directory and restart the game for the before shot and do the reverse for the after shot. :)

Can't seem to get this to work :(

Does the attached txt file (for the shaderfix folder) need a name change? Looks a bit odd sitting in there with a txt extension.......?

Top Bottom