Graphics Mod to Remove Haze

It seems to be a shader that is meant to simulate you know thing that might be near you, exhaust, disturbed particles and what have you.
I personally like it, it makes the atmosphere of places better from my opinion, but I can get why people would want high clarity and dislike it, so maybe asking frontier for an option for it?

It seems to be a shader that is meant to simulate you know thing that might be near you, exhaust, disturbed particles and what have you.
I personally like it, it makes the atmosphere of places better from my opinion, but I can get why people would want high clarity and dislike it, so maybe asking frontier for an option for it?

I think that is right so far as the desktop monitor is concerned. In VR however the effects tend to get caught in the screen-door so the shader appears as a thin layer over the lens (which I find distracting).

I would definitely give FD a hug if it gave players more control over the graphics. [yesnod] The Talos Principle is a good example of a VR game that does this. From my (fuzzy) memory it has in-game settings for contrast, brightness, gamma, saturation and hue.

Last edited:
So, does making those changes remove the background nebula, as well? Or is it just harder to see in the screenshots. I wouldn't mind making space darker, but I do also like being able to see certain background Nebula and objects (Magellanic Clouds, Andromeda, California Nebula, Orion/Barnard's, etc).

Great work on this though, guys!

I wouldn't use 4db942934cad0b29 and 74a61bc54382d4d9. The latter does remove nebulae, and removes targeting HUD elements. It DOES result in a beautifully black space, though, so I wish there was a way to just selectively disable the parts that cause the haze without breaking the other stuff. But it breaks the game, so bad idea.

ec77ba76560d17ce (the one AD added to the d3dx file he posted) still working fine for me with no issues or weirdness. Does not remove background nebulae.

I didn't know I wanted this until I tried it. Wasn't sure if it had the same NVidia only restriction that the Dustbuster mod did, so was really surprised when it worked perfectly. Even the hard mode is great. Sort of wish I could toggle night vision back, but I'll just have to fly slower or above the plane in the darkest places.

May have your wish - night vision back in hard mode since 3.3.02 patch. :)

Does anyone know if there is a shader that removes the now over-powering white-wash haze effect that the windows get?

I'm talking about this..

qCoW0FI.jpg

It used to be a lot more subtle or confined to the edges, which made it look really cool and life-like.

Incidentally, I am quite sure everyone else knows this already, but when you "Upgrade" the game (as I had to today to 3.3.0.2), it removes any files it doesn't like the look of in the elite-dangerous-64 directory, so all the mods I had put in were wiped. No biggie, as I can just reinstall them, but its annoying. It would be much nicer if Frontier could provide more options on the lighting instead of hoping to find shader fixes :)

Does anyone know if there is a shader that removes the now over-powering white-wash haze effect that the windows get?

4db942934cad0b29 + 74a61bc54382d4d9 as noted above will remove it, but it also affects nebulae visibility and removes targeting HUD elements. I scrolled through all the shaders and those were the only two I could find that would do it. I'm wondering if there's a way to edit the shader so that only the elements we want gone are removed. The code is pretty difficult to understand since all the variable names and stuff are auto-generated and non-documenting.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll give those a try.

I don't really want the targeting removed or the nebulae rendered invisible though, unfortunately. I've absolutely zero skill in shader editing, or I'd have a go myself, but it would be fantastic if someone could come up with specific element picking, as you say.

I'm talking about this..

It used to be a lot more subtle or confined to the edges, which made it look really cool and life-like.

Incidentally, I am quite sure everyone else knows this already, but when you "Upgrade" the game (as I had to today to 3.3.0.2), it removes any files it doesn't like the look of in the elite-dangerous-64 directory, so all the mods I had put in were wiped. No biggie, as I can just reinstall them, but its annoying. It would be much nicer if Frontier could provide more options on the lighting instead of hoping to find shader fixes :)

The d3dx.txt file at post #36 should do the trick:

- Download the file and rename it to "d3dx.ini".
- Copy it to the directory with the ED executable (overwrite the existing "d3dx.ini" file).
- Open the new d3dx.ini file and scroll down to the "Elite Dangerous Game Options"
- In "Mod Options" leave "clean your window" option enabled. Other mod options can be enabled or disabled as you like.
- Save the file and then delete any existing shader replace ".txt" files from your ShaderFixes sub-directory (just to make sure there is no conflict).

That's it, start the game. Should have a clean cockpit window without side effects mentioned in your posts. : )

Last edited:
Using the d3dx.ini as described worked a treat, thank you :) It is back to the very subtle and pleasing wash round the edges of the windows, and only in very high luminosity conditions, like it was before 3.3.

All the Elite options were enabled in the txt file, so I just commented out the ones I didn't need. Is there a difference between specifying the mods in the d3dx.ini file and putting them as text files into the ShaderFixes directory?

If there is a way of turning off the new lighting and reverting to 3.2. style, that would be fantastic, but I suspect that is much more than a shader tweak :D

Using the d3dx.ini as described worked a treat, thank you :) It is back to the very subtle and pleasing wash round the edges of the windows, and only in very high luminosity conditions, like it was before 3.3.

All the Elite options were enabled in the txt file, so I just commented out the ones I didn't need. Is there a difference between specifying the mods in the d3dx.ini file and putting them as text files into the ShaderFixes directory?

If there is a way of turning off the new lighting and reverting to 3.2. style, that would be fantastic, but I suspect that is much more than a shader tweak :D

The text file in ShaderFix merely replaces the in-game shader with the cached version by 3DMigoto. I think to disable it you have to edit the text file as per

https://github.com/bo3b/3Dmigoto/wiki/Using-3Dmigoto-to-find-and-fix-shaders

Not a fix, but for a quick disable, you can set the output location to zero in a vertex shader. Like: o2 = 0; Remember, this is HLSL not asm.

So I think you'd have to edit those text files to actually turn them off. Easier to just tell it to skip the shader in the d3dx.ini

As for disabling the lighting, maybe this will help

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/468293-Tone-Mapping-Let-s-Make-Space-Dark-Again-Mk-3

A couple of important points to note when reviewing these settings. Firstly, I deliberately did not change the "PrototypeLightingBalancesEnabled" setting. Changing the value from "1" to "0" will alter the appearance of the game, but it is thought (guess) that this setting is important for the correct working of the new lighting system in ED.

Not sure if it actually reverts the lighting, but post #2 in the thread suggests it does, but has other side effects.

No problem.

Much the same where just skipping shaders, but putting the options in a single file is easier to manage as you may have found when reviewing your choices. I note the "hard mode" is enabled by default in the file. My bad, meant the default to be "disabled".

I haven't found a way to do this. Some players have tried to restore pre-3.3 lighting by changing the "PrototypeLightingBalancesEnabled" from 1 to 0. Fiddled around with this but I wasn't keen on the results.

Last edited:
This mod works a treat, thank you.

I had confusion though with the different instructions, I couldn't get the 1.3.13 to unzip into the EDx64 directory.
I then went 3Dmigoto sites and was further confused when he refers to "unpack the relevant x32 or x64 5 files into ED's directory".

I then downloaded 1.3.8 from his site which has the two folders x32 and x64, unzipped them, replaced his d3dx.ini file with yours, then copied the 5 files into the ED'sx64 directory. Works like a treat.

I can't seem to get this to work, have tried a couple times. I downloaded version 1.3.14 of 3Dmigoto, extracted, copied the 5 files and one directory from the x64 folder to "G:\Oculus Apps\Software\frontier-developments-plc-elite-dangerous\Products\elite-dangerous-64", where the executable is, went to post 36, downloaded the d3dx.txt, opened it in Notepad++, saved as d3dx.ini "all files", copied that to the directory above, replaced the existing d3dx.ini, and in game I see no difference at all.

Last edited:
went to post 36, downloaded the d3dx.txt, opened it in Notepad++, saved as d3dx.ini "all files", copied that to the root directory of ED, replaced the existing d3dx.ini, and in game I see no difference at all.
that d3dx file must be edited to prevent hunter mode, unless of course you want that feature. delete the old and then copy your new file across.

Last edited:
that d3dx file must be edited to prevent hunter mode, unless of course you want that feature. delete the old and then copy your new file across.

No such directory on my system. I purchased ED through the Oculus store. First post says to install the mod where the ED executable is, mine is in the directory I listed above.

*** I see you edited your post.

Hunter mode is "0".

I also use EDProfiler, could that be interfering in some way?

Last edited:
No such directory on my system. I purchased ED through the Oculus store. First post says to install the mod where the ED executable is, mine is in the directory I listed above.

*** I see you edited your post.

Hunter mode is "0".

I also use EDProfiler, could that be interfering in some way?

I'm using Oculus version with EDProfiler and no issues.

Just to test if 3DMigoto is being loaded, set hunting mode to 1 and open the game. Do you see the extra HUD menu added by 3DMigoto? If so, 3DMigoto is being loaded properly.

Last edited:
I can't seem to get this to work, have tried a couple times. I downloaded version 1.3.14 of 3Dmigoto, extracted, copied the 5 files and one directory from the x64 folder to "G:\Oculus Apps\Software\frontier-developments-plc-elite-dangerous\Products\elite-dangerous-64", where the executable is, went to post 36, downloaded the d3dx.txt, opened it in Notepad++, saved as d3dx.ini "all files", copied that to the directory above, replaced the existing d3dx.ini, and in game I see no difference at all.

This is a first. You seem to have to have installed 3DMigoto correctly so will need to trace the steps (and forgive me where I state the obvious, but safer to walk through each step):

- Uninstall 3DMigoto (just go to the installation directory and click uninstall.bat) to remove all existing files and reg entries relating to 3DMigoto.
- Download an earlier version of 3DMigoto from the GitHub releases page (I use v1.3.8).
- Unpack the archive in a temp directory and go to the 64 bit version (assuming you are using Win10).
- Copy and paste all of the contents of that directory - 5 files and 1 directory - into your ED game directory (make sure it is the one that contains the "EliteDangerous64.exe" file).
- Start ED as you normally would. The game should boot up without incident and, as CMDR Rdmc has said in the above post, you should see an overlay on the game mirror which will confirm 3dMigoto is being loaded (if hunting is set to "hunting=1" which is the default).
- Close the game.
- Download the "d3dx.txt" file from this thread (at post #36) and rename it to "d3dx.ini". That file is good to go and should work out of the box.
- Copy and paste the file to the same directory you installed 3DMigoto (you should be prompted to replace the existing file and may be asked to give admin approval. That's ok - it will confirm that the new file extension is correct and there's not a "txt" hidden in the name).

If you have followed those steps and not run into a snafu start ED again. I suggest you do it when you are in an station because (a) the change should be apparent due to the "haze" removal mod and (b) at this point you have "hard mode" enabled which can be a little unsettling if your not expecting the change. Assuming it all works as advertised, close the game and go back to your "d3dx.ini" file, open it in notepad and scroll down to the Elite Dangerous game options section. Comment out those options you don't want (just by using a ";" at the start of each line) and save. That's it, you should be good to go.

Last edited:
Top Bottom