Guardians Discussions

I never really understood why this is a mystery? It's just a generic "thargoid mark". The only reason it has little variations between interceptors is to add a bit of flavour/individuality, the same way NPCs look different at stations - it serves zero purpose but it would be odd if they were all identical (let's not mention the comms panel).
Thing is, it's a lot of effort to go to just for flavour... to have it uniquely represented on each Thargoid and to be highlighted in the console... nothing else displayed in that console is flavour text.

Echoing what @Ned Flandalorian said, it's definitely not hostility they react with if you have Meta Alloys on board. I need to update my reference video, but in a standard encounter with an interceptor, they do not react with aggression at all, rather, they have a unique reaction that is best described as Friendly, Submissive, or even fearful in a way that excludes aggression.

I'll explicitly note; the only reason the interceptor deploys the swarm at the end is a separate trigger to do with being within 500m of the Thargoid, as the MO of Interceptors at the time of that now-5-year-old-video (which echoes my concerns somewhat) was, if you had cargo of interest (be it Guardian, Thargoid or Meta Alloys) to stick within 350m of you... so when the "cargo of interest" phase stops, the "within 500m reaction" immediately triggers.... thus I have to update the reference video.

This is unique compared to the others, being (links included for direct contrast):
Thargoid Cargo: Much more like "stolen cargo", stern warning followed by aggression if you don't jettison, but avoid aggression if you do, and they'll scoop it up.
Guardian Cargo: Much more like "prohibited cargo", outright anger followed by aggression if you don't jettison, but avoid aggression if you do, and they destroy it.

There's also a unique reaction for grelics, which they react to like Guardian tech, but scoop up. There's more info in this thread I wrote back in 2018, but have kept updated with stuff like grelics and an exhaustive list of reactions, stuff about Thargoid summoning etc.
Fascinating.

I put that thread on my watchlist to dive in deeper as I find the time.

Last edited:
1692827499046.png

1692827535026.png

Markings/insignia inside the Guardian "doors" at new sites that seem to be new markings

Every other guardian structure has been on high metal content or rocky worlds; I think that's just a model that isn't correctly adapting to the environment. Look at how it has no blending with the ground/snow unlike the other parts of the structure.

Whilst I tip my hat to the foremost exploration PMF on PC , the question I was answering was on the lack of discussions on the forum and I put this down to player apathy and lack of any news from Fdev ( no digs at Sally ) . Even the squadron leaderboards show an ongoing drop ( especially in exploration ) of numbers . I appreciate that many are still out there searching out "stuff" and long may that continue .
Personally I think there are a few factors in play here:
  • Summertime, so folks are on holiday and maybe also just out and about more. We can all sit in front of our computer screens in the cold dark months, its summertime and so lets go outside and touch the grass and trees!
  • AAA games have released or are about to release, and that will compete with Elite for folks precious time.
  • Whilst Elite is still very obviously under active development, its also obvious that Fdev has deprioritized Elite. Less live streams, less comms, CG's on hiatus etc. This might be permanent or it might just be part of its natural dev cycle. Only Fdev can tell us tbh. Hopefully just a quiet patch before some new content in the autumn.
  • The flagship content of the past 8 months: The Thargoid War, is largely stagnant. It has fossilized partly due to the way Fdev has implemented it, (tissue sampling etc) and partly due to the way certain player groups have used spreadsheets and graphs to manage out certain types of content (Invasions). People play games in different ways, and I'm not suggesting these player groups are doing anything wrong, but their efforts in prosecuting the war have had demonstrable effects on other players enjoyment of certain aspects of the game. It is what is, gamers are gonna game.
All of these unfortunately feed into a sense that the game and by extension the forums feel quiet or slow.
Personally, I haven't logged in for any meaningful time for nearly 2 weeks, but that's due to IRL and summertime stuff happening.
Once I get some time to game, I'm taking my carrier to Colonia. Mostly just because I can, and its something to do! Also the skybox out there is soooo damn pretty.

Every other guardian structure has been on high metal content or rocky worlds; I think that's just a model that isn't correctly adapting to the environment. Look at how it has no blending with the ground/snow unlike the other parts of the structure.
The other thing I'd be asking is "So what?"

Notwithstanding suviving the gauntlet of "bug, status quo, graphics change or thing of interest"... taking everything at face value; texture appears as a different colour in a screenshot.

So what?

Apart from "it looks different", is there anything else meaningful that can be derived? Probably not. It's like when the barnies got the little acid pools around them suddenly. Turns out, it's just new graphics/ texturing.

Echoing what @Ned Flandalorian said, it's definitely not hostility they react with if you have Meta Alloys on board. I need to update my reference video, but in a standard encounter with an interceptor, they do not react with aggression at all, rather, they have a unique reaction that is best described as Friendly, Submissive, or even fearful in a way that excludes aggression.

I'll explicitly note; the only reason the interceptor deploys the swarm at the end is a separate trigger to do with being within 500m of the Thargoid, as the MO of Interceptors at the time of that now-5-year-old-video (which echoes my concerns somewhat) was, if you had cargo of interest (be it Guardian, Thargoid or Meta Alloys) to stick within 350m of you... so when the "cargo of interest" phase stops, the "within 500m reaction" immediately triggers.... thus I have to update the reference video.

This is unique compared to the others, being (links included for direct contrast):
Thargoid Cargo: Much more like "stolen cargo", stern warning followed by aggression if you don't jettison, but avoid aggression if you do, and they'll scoop it up.
Guardian Cargo: Much more like "prohibited cargo", outright anger followed by aggression if you don't jettison, but avoid aggression if you do, and they destroy it.

There's also a unique reaction for grelics, which they react to like Guardian tech, but scoop up. There's more info in this thread I wrote back in 2018, but have kept updated with stuff like grelics and an exhaustive list of reactions, stuff about Thargoid summoning etc.
Last i checked, swarm deployment is hostility. Even if its a trigger of being "too close", if were taking the interceptor behavior as evidence you must include the swarm deployment.

I'd also argue immediate shutdown in hyperdictions when you're not near the warfront is hostile, not "passive/submissive/friendly". Fear can and does lead to hostility, so saying the thargoids are fearful (of a bunch of fleshbags who they could have annihilated when these behaviors were discovered)

Thargoids are not our friends and are not a nice, peaceful race. They are just as warmongering as the rest of the species we know about (humanity, guardians)

Last i checked, swarm deployment is hostility. Even if its a trigger of being "too close", if were taking the interceptor behavior as evidence you must include the swarm deployment.

I'd also argue immediate shutdown in hyperdictions when you're not near the warfront is hostile, not "passive/submissive/friendly". Fear can and does lead to hostility, so saying the thargoids are fearful (of a bunch of fleshbags who they could have annihilated when these behaviors were discovered)

Thargoids are not our friends and are not a nice, peaceful race. They are just as warmongering as the rest of the species we know about (humanity, guardians)
Not entirely sure the point you're trying to make here at the moment.

I'm describing the audible reaction to meta-alloys in the cargohold as a distinguishing factor to "Thargoid items", and "Guardian Items", and "No Items" as distinct and unique reactions combined with their actual behaviours, not make broad statements about the whole Thargoid species.

The 500m thing or hyperdictions is irrelevant in that regard. In an isolated case (i.e go to an NHSS where a Thargoid is fishing through a wreck) Interceptors will escalate by any means only if you have Guardian or Thargoid items excluding Meta-Alloys. There is no escalation (not even deployment of the swarm, I just haven't updated the video) if you have Meta-Alloys on board, but there is a distinct noise which I've described in, well, human terms, as friendly/submissive/fearful.... which is a problem both for my interpretations as well as your own... being their subject to human moral interpretations.

Such interpretations are problematic even within human culture... take for instance the Māori Wero (which I'm no expert on by any means, but I've witnessed a couple), which is part of protocol for welcoming visitors (as friend or foe), but between the lines includes ensuring visitors are peaceful and asserting your ability to defend you(r village).

Last edited:
Hey folks.
I've just read through all this thread to see if there's an answer to this already. If I missed it I'll... be sad. Was interesting re-reading years worth of posts though.

I know there was a bunch of (awesome) testing and investigation done on the audio from Obelisks, Braintrees, and other things over the years.

Is there anywhere a recording of the 'code' that the Relics themselves make? Or an analysis done on it or something?

Also the 'glowing pulse' when they're in space? The glowing was mentioned here in 2018, but I can't see any reference to that being picked up on this thread. Anyone with any links to a study would be appreciated.

I just need to compare it to what I'm seeing and recording now just to confirm there's been no changes.

I'm sure it's just 'cool alien sounds' audio and flashing and there hasn't been any changes, just want to check :) but I can't find anyone posting anything about the Relic audio. Links to anything would be great!

Thanks!

Top Bottom