Guardians Discussions

I have made my way over to #3, now and scouted around quite a bit, but I feel like this isn't the right structure, either.
Maybe I'm just missing a few details, as how to find those other structures. I have found the Codex Cores and the Artefact Spires, but the Data Core Access and those Pylons are nowhere to be seen.
Wrong type of POI.
"Guardian Structure" has the data core and pylons. They are much rarer to find than the "Ancient Ruins" that you are visiting.
Obelisks at the structures may require different (much harder to acquire) items to activate them.

Wrong type of POI.
"Guardian Structure" has the data core and pylons. They are much rarer to find than the "Ancient Ruins" that you are visiting.
Obelisks at the structures may require different (much harder to acquire) items to activate them.
Ah. Okay. So back to the structure it is... Let's hope I'm gonna have some light there...

I visited the Guardian Structure (as denominated by the DSS).
Guardian Structure.jpg

It is surprisingly small, compared to the ruins.

After mucking around a bit, I apparently activated something and had some "active Obelisks" showing up on the radar. Basically, these were those triangular structures the comp scanner would denominate as "Guardian Codex". Scanned with the data link scanner, it spat out some data and besides some destructible panels and three Sentrys, that was all I could find.

As I was running out of time - I wanted to return to Meene before the big download and have an appointment soon - I left the place and hopped back to the starting point.

Conceptually, it's nothing new. FD are obviously trying to make it seem like it's important, but I suspect whatever is important is still on it's way.
Agreed. Whatever is coming, this is just a teaser...

As far as no one commenting, I've made a couple of posts in the last few months about how dead the forums are. I'm not screaming doom about the game, but the lack of posts in the forums prior to Update 15 (and then again with Update 16) has been shockingly quiet. I thought it was just me/my perception, which is why I made those posts. Those that actually responded agreed that chatter on the forums is WAY down.

So no, I'm not surprised there has been little discussion of this. There's very little discussion going on at all.

Feels kinda appropriate for a thread about a presumably extinct alien race to switch to the apparent abandonment of the forums... ;)

I wonder how many people are on vacation, right now, far away from their computers and other digital devices...

Personally I think it's due to no new news and a general lack of communication ( not a dig at at Sally, but the higher ups ) ??And possibly player apathy ?

Personally I think it's due to no new news and a general lack of communication ( not a dig at at Sally, but the higher ups ) ??And possibly player apathy ?
For me, it's that there's threads that are 6-7 years old that aren't resolved, and with no development since that time....

For example (and not specifically guardians...):
  • Sensor and Probe pointing to Merope/Merope 5c respectively. There's vague suggestion that it was to highlight where we need to look (Pleiades),, but specifically to Merope 5c? That's a bit odd... that and Merope features in the Thargoid link triangulation pattern.
  • Col 70 Sector FY-N c21-3... what's special about that? Why does the Probe include distance in LY to that in it's data stream, and why does the Link include it in the spectrogram and triangulate off that.
  • Why've we got a whole bunch of permit lock sectors around Barnard's Loop, especially when it used to be open?
  • Why do Thargoids have a unique reaction to Meta Alloys?
  • Why do they scoop humanoid cargo (we're starting to get closer to that one, thankfully)
  • What's the logograms on Barnacles/Inties mean?

... just to name a couple things... there's tonnes more. But instead of closure around them, we're now getting new things like Barnacle Matrix Sites and such, introducing more unknowns to the mix. Even HIP22460 was just a silent, permit-locked system for years before we reached this point.

It's just, frankly, a bit daft to sow all these things and have them sit idle for so long, only to introduce new things with a lifespan of seconds.

As I've said a few times now... so far the only difference with this new battleground site is that Thargoids are present, and it's far away... Why couldn't a hyperdiction have occurred around the existing battleground which, for all intents so far, is identical.

EDIT: I mean, I'm still hanging around to see where this all goes though... but it's a slog...

Last edited:
Not at all. IGAU is going to do an expedition in september to the other guardian bubble around hen-233 with over 150 people. They also visited about 250,000 systems in that area. The discussions in here have come to a halt due to the lack of information and debateable things but people are still out there seraching.
Whilst I tip my hat to the foremost exploration PMF on PC , the question I was answering was on the lack of discussions on the forum and I put this down to player apathy and lack of any news from Fdev ( no digs at Sally ) . Even the squadron leaderboards show an ongoing drop ( especially in exploration ) of numbers . I appreciate that many are still out there searching out "stuff" and long may that continue .

For me, it's that there's threads that are 6-7 years old that aren't resolved, and with no development since that time....

For example (and not specifically guardians...):
  • Sensor and Probe pointing to Merope/Merope 5c respectively. There's vague suggestion that it was to highlight where we need to look (Pleiades),, but specifically to Merope 5c? That's a bit odd... that and Merope features in the Thargoid link triangulation pattern.
  • Col 70 Sector FY-N c21-3... what's special about that? Why does the Probe include distance in LY to that in it's data stream, and why does the Link include it in the spectrogram and triangulate off that.
  • Why've we got a whole bunch of permit lock sectors around Barnard's Loop, especially when it used to be open?
  • Why do Thargoids have a unique reaction to Meta Alloys?
  • Why do they scoop humanoid cargo (we're starting to get closer to that one, thankfully)

... just to name a couple things... there's tonnes more. But instead of closure around them, we're now getting new things like Barnacle Matrix Sites and such, introducing more unknowns to the mix. Even HIP22460 was just a silent, permit-locked system for years before we reached this point.

It's just, frankly, a bit daft to sow all these things and have them sit idle for so long, only to introduce new things with a lifespan of seconds.

As I've said a few times now... so far the only difference with this new battleground site is that Thargoids are present, and it's far away... Why couldn't a hyperdiction have occurred around the existing battleground which, for all intents so far, is identical.

EDIT: I mean, I'm still hanging around to see where this all goes though... but it's a slog...
Some threads are a lot younger but it's in the rules we can't speak about that ( I've had a few warnings about it in the past 🤣) .
With the locked systems that may have been a route where the narrative may at one stage lead ? So inconsequential narrative storylines ?
Take the Zuarara it added a mystery but really didn't add to the narrative
Meta alloys belong to Thargoids not humanity we only need them to defend ourselves from the thargoids because they attack because we nicked the meta alloys ??
Saving human escape pods from certain Doom ? Depends on the outlook of the news media .

I never really understood why this is a mystery? It's just a generic "thargoid mark". The only reason it has little variations between interceptors is to add a bit of flavour/individuality, the same way NPCs look different at stations - it serves zero purpose but it would be odd if they were all identical (let's not mention the comms panel).

If you mean their reaction to you having some in your cargo bay, that's probably because because it is kinda stolen good from their point of view.
But they don't act as if it's stolen. If you're carrying other thargoid items they go on alert and expect you to relinquish them. If you have meta-alloys they make a happy noise and follow you around like lost puppies.

Heh, /me prefers to play single player games of the sort that leans heavily on telling a story, where the same amount of story progression (months of developer blood, sweat, and tears) is dispensed over an afternoon of playtime, as ED's entire run so far -- I guess the realistic pacing is getting even to some of the more ardent MMO-ers... :p

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/thargoid-cargo-reactions-revisited.398834/If you mean their reaction to you having some in your cargo bay, that's probably because because it is kinda stolen good from their point of view.
Meta alloys belong to Thargoids not humanity we only need them to defend ourselves from the thargoids because they attack because we nicked the meta alloys ??
That's an interesting way to describe this...

Echoing what @Ned Flandalorian said, it's definitely not hostility they react with if you have Meta Alloys on board. I need to update my reference video, but in a standard encounter with an interceptor, they do not react with aggression at all, rather, they have a unique reaction that is best described as Friendly, Submissive, or even fearful in a way that excludes aggression.

I'll explicitly note; the only reason the interceptor deploys the swarm at the end is a separate trigger to do with being within 500m of the Thargoid, as the MO of Interceptors at the time of that now-5-year-old-video (which echoes my concerns somewhat) was, if you had cargo of interest (be it Guardian, Thargoid or Meta Alloys) to stick within 350m of you... so when the "cargo of interest" phase stops, the "within 500m reaction" immediately triggers.... thus I have to update the reference video.

This is unique compared to the others, being (links included for direct contrast):
Thargoid Cargo: Much more like "stolen cargo", stern warning followed by aggression if you don't jettison, but avoid aggression if you do, and they'll scoop it up.
Guardian Cargo: Much more like "prohibited cargo", outright anger followed by aggression if you don't jettison, but avoid aggression if you do, and they destroy it.

There's also a unique reaction for grelics, which they react to like Guardian tech, but scoop up. There's more info in this thread I wrote back in 2018, but have kept updated with stuff like grelics and an exhaustive list of reactions, stuff about Thargoid summoning etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom