Engineers Guide: Fast way to find Occupied Escape Pods near Colonia

Here’s a tip if you are looking for Occupied Escape Pods to unlock Etienne Dorn in the Los system. It’s a fast way to collect them.

1:
Equip your ship with a Hatch Breaker Limpet Controller, a Collector Limpet Controller and a good number of limpets. I bought 60.

2: Go to the Luchtaine system near Colonia. When you are there head for the A 1 Gas Giant.

3: When you are within 1000 ls you’ll spot a Distress Call in the Nav Panel. Head for it and drop out of Supercruise when you are close enough. (Changes were made in 3.3, and if you don’t see the Distress Call try using the DSS to probe planet 1).

4: You’ll immediately spot a large Megaship. You’ll also spot a number of ships flying around, and they may be pirates and hostile. Fight them if necessary or go into Supercruise and drop again and hope you have better luck this time. Often you’ll only meet rescue ships.

5: Approach the Megaship. It’s badly damaged, inoperable and decommissioned. What you are about to do isn’t illegal here.

6: Target the Megaship and scan it with your Data Link Scanner and head for “Escape Hatch 3” under “Contacts”. When you are close enough you can use your Data Link Scanner again which will reveal a “Limpet Docking Point” under “Sub-targets”. Target the “Limpet Docking Point” and release a Hatch Breaker Limpet.

7: When the hatch doors open a good number of things will be blasted into space, and among them most likely some Occupied Escape Pods for you to collect with your Collector Limpets.

8: While your limpets are collecting you can target the “Limpet Docking Point” again and open the doors again with the Hatch Breaker Limpets. More pods will be ejected. You can do this a number of times.

I got 17 Occupied Escape Pods on my first try. More will spawn if you leave and return.

You may have to move your ship around to let the limpets get the pods without getting destroyed, and some of the pods may be trapped within the graphics and be unable to reach. You may also find a few in the Cargo Bays on the Megaship.

Hope this helps some of you. Sure beats the loooooooooong time it will take to collect Occupied Escape Pods on planets or in USS’ :D.

kN2rhIg.jpg

“Kraken’s Retreat”. Home of engineer Etienne Dorn in the Los system:
6JvRDYO.jpg

CrFLWP3.jpg

Have fun (y)

Last edited:
This is a great guide. Thanks.

I’m not in the Colonia area at the moment but this is good information to have for the future.

Scotia-UK

^^^^ You’re welcome :) . There should be a few similar Megaships around with Occupied Escape Pods where you can do the same.

Frees them? Like you could've freed them delivering them to any search and rescue contact closer to you?

You used them as payment for access to his services. He certainly won't free anyone.

Frees them? Like you could've freed them delivering them to any search and rescue contact closer to you?

You used them as payment for access to his services. He certainly won't free anyone.

I did say I like to think - please don’t bust my bubble! :D But it’s pefectly in line with the rest of the game which uses slaves as a commodity, and you buy/sell them by the tonne.

Another way is to head to Maia and drop into the non human signal sources. Some will have thagoid intercepters but others will have occupied space pods and no Thargoid. Scoop and go. Just be careful. If you have space pods in your hold and drop into a signal source with a Thargoid make sure you boost out and jump.

Sorry for bursting your bubble C64Fan :p

He actually pays for their medical care and supports them through their recovery.
He then offers them a full time apprenticeship.

That sounds like a job board would do better than gathering people through kidnapping as payment for engineering.

Heck, he could offer that support to the next search and rescue point.

I’m on XB1, so I’m not sure if this applies to the PC version, but I found a much faster way to get Occupied Escape Pods, on my way to Ram Tah tonight. Ram Tahs base is in the Meene system. In orbit around his planet were 4 Salvageable Wreckage sites. Each one contained 5 Occupied Escape Pods. I picked up 20 in about 15 minutes, with my limpets. Not sure if it’s a permanent thing, but they were there tonight. Selling mine to Search and Rescue. Not ready for a 22k Ly trip yet.

I’m on XB1, so I’m not sure if this applies to the PC version, but I found a much faster way to get Occupied Escape Pods, on my way to Ram Tah tonight. Ram Tahs base is in the Meene system. In orbit around his planet were 4 Salvageable Wreckage sites. Each one contained 5 Occupied Escape Pods. I picked up 20 in about 15 minutes, with my limpets. Not sure if it’s a permanent thing, but they were there tonight. Selling mine to Search and Rescue. Not ready for a 22k Ly trip yet.

So what’s the point of getting the Occupied Escape Pods if you don’t want to travel 22k to actually unlock Etienne Dorn? That’s why I started this thread. And if you do the trip you are bringing them with you which will lower your jump range unnecessarily on a long trip. Not the wisest thing to do. And for what? The method I describe is already a very fast way to get them. It may see like it’ll take a long time to do, but that’s just because my guide is very thorough. You’ll get what you need in no time.

Last edited:
I sold mine for around a little over 600k at Search And Rescue, and I also got
the "Podcast" Achievement for selling 25 OEP's.

So what’s the point of getting the Occupied Escape Pods if you don’t want to travel 22k to actually unlock Etienne Dorn? That’s why I started this thread. And if you do the trip you are bringing them with you which will lower your jump range unnecessarily on a long trip. Not the wisest thing to do. And for what? The method I describe is already a very fast way to get them. It may see like it’ll take a long time to do, but that’s just because my guide is very thorough. You’ll get what you need in no time.

Top Bottom