Guide / Tutorial [Guides] I Finished my Flight Assist Off Beginner Series!

Thank you so much Alec!!! That thread is a great resource!

No problem. I've just watched the first video ... it's really REALLY excellent. I'm gonna qualify my thread with some superlatives now! More importantly, I'm definitely gonna give that a try. Up until now (three years into the game) I've been a "very occasionally toggle FA off" kinda pilot but your video has given me the inspiration to give this a proper go. Thanks you!

No problem. I've just watched the first video ... it's really REALLY excellent. I'm gonna qualify my thread with some superlatives now! More importantly, I'm definitely gonna give that a try. Up until now (three years into the game) I've been a "very occasionally toggle FA off" kinda pilot but your video has given me the inspiration to give this a proper go. Thanks you!

We are slowly converting them Hobs!!!

Very professional looking videos. Congratulations.

This looks pretty amazing, and having watched the first video and half of the second, I was eager to have a go. So... is there anything I can do for FAOFF practice that is easier than tethering?... [redface]

I'm using a Thrustmaster hotas (T. Flight Hotas X), and over shoot and over rotation are pretty conspicuously present in all my attempts to hover round a station so far. It would be nice to blame the hotas (as I can replace that), but I imagine its probably me, which I'm stuck with.

So saying: is there a particular control set up that is ideally suited to FAOFF?

CG

This looks pretty amazing, and having watched the first video and half of the second, I was eager to have a go. So... is there anything I can do for FAOFF practice that is easier than tethering?... [redface]

I'm using a Thrustmaster hotas (T. Flight Hotas X), and over shoot and over rotation are pretty conspicuously present in all my attempts to hover round a station so far. It would be nice to blame the hotas (as I can replace that), but I imagine its probably me, which I'm stuck with.

So saying: is there a particular control set up that is ideally suited to FAOFF?

CG
Before tethering, try just landing and taking off in fa off.

CG

One thing that might help is a thing called Joystick Curves ..

http://xedocproject.com/joystickcurves.html

It's a cool bit of software that lets you set up response curves for the T.Flight Hotas X to get a larger range of movement for sensitive control around the center deadzone.

There's a good video to help getting it set up here ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqzoJPCZM0w

Half way through watching video number 2 ... really terrific and I love the focus on not just basic skills but the state of mind stuff!

Two other things.

1) A big thumbs-up for the use of San Tu - I LOVE that place. We did a Buckyball Race there a while back which gave bonuses for looping through mutliple tunnels - terrific fun, even with FA on. I think, for a lot of the competitors, it was their first major use of a quick FA off toggle to flip while still exiting a tunnel so they were lined up and ready to reverse their vector and fly back through the same tunnel. You can see this in some of the videos that were posted in the race thread. My original intention when designing the race had been for people to find routes through multiple tunnels, but in the end most people found it quicker to simply fly back and forth multiple times through the same one.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...resents-Tunnel-Vision-(25-02-3303-06-03-3303)

2) A quick tip for people trying FA Off for the first time ... don't consume enormous quanities of alchohol prior to doing so ... it does not help! :p

[video=youtube_share;t1rfe4GDIfE]https://youtu.be/t1rfe4GDIfE[/video]

P.S. (and off topic) ... Isinona has a new video out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j24tOfqqAd8

Before tethering, try just landing and taking off in fa off.
Good idea. I'll pick a nice quiet outpost to start with. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

One thing that might help is a thing called Joystick Curves ..

http://xedocproject.com/joystickcurves.html

It's a cool bit of software that lets you set up response curves for the T.Flight Hotas X to get a larger range of movement for sensitive control around the center deadzone.

There's a good video to help getting it set up here ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqzoJPCZM0w

Oh, great. This sounds ideal, thanks ��

After my earlier post, I had a go at tethering with my Anaconda, and it was actually easier in some ways than a Sidey, though I couldn't keep up with the station ring even using thrusters pretty much continuously. I guess being cumbersome and slow helped avoid overturn! Needless to say I didn't get super close though...

I was inspired to give the training a go - how on Earth do you do it? As soon as I turn FA off my ship becomes a cross between a spinning top and a pin ball, I am hopeless at controlling it let alone alone trying to match the stations rotation. Trying to exit the station was funny though as I pinged off of every bulkhead - glad I don't have VR, I would have puked :(

I was inspired to give the training a go - how on Earth do you do it? As soon as I turn FA off my ship becomes a cross between a spinning top and a pin ball, I am hopeless at controlling it let alone alone trying to match the stations rotation. Trying to exit the station was funny though as I pinged off of every bulkhead - glad I don't have VR, I would have puked :(

Hey mate. What control system are you using?

If you are interested come jump on our discord and we can probably help you out :)

have some rep.
tried the first one when you first published it and had so much fun since i was so bad at it...
well done cmdr!

Thanks Cmdr Hobs. I love these vids and think they are very well done. I gave up after the first vid though, as my controls weren't up to snuff, and I ordered some rudder pedals. I'm finally due to get them next week so I can finally start playing again. I'm going to attempt 100% FAOFF and see if I can get it to stick.

A quick tip for people trying FA Off for the first time ... don't consume enormous quanities of alchohol prior to doing so ... it does not help! :p
If the pilot's federation ever saw that vid you should have your license revoked!

Thanks for your efforts, I've been trying to get to grips with FA off, the first video is most helpful. Still playing first one, lots of fun and quite difficult at this stage.

Fantastic series. I highly recommend following along with each lesson. Each exercise teaches a fundamental aspect of Flight Assist off that when used in tandem will have you zipping around all smooth like Isinona in no time.

Thanks so much CMDR Hobs. I'm looking forward to the advance classes!

This is an awesome video tutorial mate. Congrats and thank you....this will help me considerably in getting used to FAOFF.

New to the game, the tutorials look like fun, but when I got home last night to try this I don't know where to turn off FA. I am playing on XBOX
Also what are the benefits to flying FA Off?
The only thing I can think of is freeing up a slot on your ship since you wont need a docking computer

any help is greatly appreciated

EDIT: After watching Proficiency 4 I have found my answers. It's going to be an FAOff weekend

Cheers

Last edited:
Great guide.

Did you mention the space dust? Even though its quite a poor implementation by FD, its invaluable when flying FA-OFF.

Also, since I dusted off the game again and started playing, the salvage missions(black box) make a good scooping training.

You only have around 20 sec to scoop until the first enemies show up. Then its suicidal :) at least in a SW

Top Bottom