has anyone tested in beta if an old G4 mod is convertible to a new G4 mod?

We know G3 mods are NOT convertible as shown by beta players on YouTube.
And we know converting G5 mods steal away one grade, dropping you to G4.

I haven't seen anyone talk about G4 mods and what happens to them?

After all, there are mods that top out at grade 4 - they simply don't have a grade 5 available...
Lastly, some beta players have demonstrated on YouTube, that not all maxed G5 mods have 5% better stats than the old mods as FD claimed. Some are not better at all. So mod conversion is a case by case thing to find out at any rate.

Last edited:
With the new system, if you convert you will go down a grade. This applies at all grades.

I believe this is not accurate:
I have seen a YouTube video, where a guy tried to convert a grade 3 engineering mod and the game told him grade 3 was not convertible - he had to start from grade 1.

So, if a grade 4 mod drops to grade 3, that's already needless robbery of our time and effort, but if you'd simply loose the mod entirely - everybody will just keep their old mods.

Do you by chance have an FDev source where they say all ranks can be converted?

I believe this is not accurate:
I have seen a YouTube video, where a guy tried to convert a grade 3 engineering mod and the game told him grade 3 was not convertible - he had to start from grade 1.

So, if a grade 4 mod drops to grade 3, that's already needless robbery of our time and effort, but if you'd simply loose the mod entirely - everybody will just keep their old mods.

Do you by chance have an FDev source where they say all ranks can be converted?

Yes, there was such a bug in one of the betas.

Lastly, some beta players have demonstrated on YouTube, that not all maxed G5 mods have 5% better stats than the old mods as FD claimed. Some are not better at all. So mod conversion is a case by case thing to find out at any rate.

It sounds like most of your information comes from initial testing of BETA 1, there were 3 versions IIRC, and some tweaking was done after the final also. If you check the patch notes, and more recent YouTubers, even in here, Reddit or Google Image search will show you that for the most part, top grade 5 modules are better than or at least as good as the "average" God roll of current. I say for the most part, because some people who rolled earlier got some ludicrous thermal reductions, and a few other things, but they're few and far between, plus the newer system offers other positive attributes to counter that. The premise of it being that we're all able to attain the same high end values, as it stands you can roll 1-3 rolls and get super lucky, or you can roll 100 and only get 1, maybe.

Have a butchers and see if the information you have (where btw?) still holds true.

It sounds like most of your information comes from initial testing of BETA 1, there were 3 versions IIRC, and some tweaking was done after the final also. If you check the patch notes, and more recent YouTubers, even in here, Reddit or Google Image search will show you that for the most part, top grade 5 modules are better than or at least as good as the "average" God roll of current. I say for the most part, because some people who rolled earlier got some ludicrous thermal reductions, and a few other things, but they're few and far between, plus the newer system offers other positive attributes to counter that. The premise of it being that we're all able to attain the same high end values, as it stands you can roll 1-3 rolls and get super lucky, or you can roll 100 and only get 1, maybe.

Have a butchers and see if the information you have (where btw?) still holds true.

I mainly wanted to know if grade 4 mods will convert or if they're a total loss.
The only thing I saw 100% confirmed was, that grade 5 mods will convert to new grade 4 mods.

Its not easy to tell what beta phase a video was made in, but the commentary on the grade 3 not converting did not suspect a bug, but figured that was so intended.

Since I haven't seen any comment from anybody about grade 4 mod conversions, I wanted to know, if I have to scramble to upgrade those to grade 5 before Tuesday or not - since I don't feel like loosing all that effort and time spent on logistics - time I can never get back.
Because frankly, flying around deep space searching for USS endlessly is not exactly clever or fun game-play. I wonder how many minutes of my life FDev thinks I should have to waste before the next USS spawns.

It takes a lot longer now, than some old posts from 2016 on the subject state - like one every 30 seconds - I wish...

Top Bottom