Have the developers acknowledged the FPS issues?

The CPU usage is out of control and I am sure they will get it corrected. I just built a system based on a (a slightly older processor) Xeon E5 2670. 8 Cores, 16 threads and to my shock PC put even this processor at 85% on all 16 threads! Truly is a CPU burn in test lol

The only difference I noticed is it did not make the cpu go into Turbo mode. It stayed at a nice 2.8ghz.

Last edited:
The CPU usage is out of control and I am sure they will get it corrected. I just built a system based on a (a slightly older processor) Xeon E5 2670. 8 Cores, 16 threads and to my shock PC put even this processor at 85% on all 16 threads! Truly is a CPU burn in test lol

The only difference I noticed is it did not make the cpu go into Turbo mode. It stayed at a nice 2.8ghz.

It is working as intended and not out of control, the game is being optimised to maximise the potential that your CPU has for the fluid dynamic of the crowd among other things. It dynamically adjusts as needed to make sure the game is rendered as best as possible and then complete the background AI procedures.

Not to say it wont be optimised further, however I would expect the 85% across all cores/threads to remain and just a boost to performance as they improve their coding.

Brett C

Frontier

The game is programmed to utilize your CPU cores for Ride, Guest, SImulation AI. This is not a bug.

Granted, that goes without saying that optimizations will happen throughout alpha, beta and up to launch of Planet Coaster.

The game is programmed to utilize your CPU cores for Ride, Guest, SImulation AI. This is not a bug.

Granted, that goes without saying that optimizations will happen throughout alpha, beta and up to launch of Planet Coaster.

will we see the GPU being used more any time soon [noob]? my system can easily play a lot of games even at 80FPS@1440P :c but fails to in planet coaster unless I play at 1280x1024 (and then it still stays around 50~55 :( (which used to be a lot higher before alpha 2)

@Candy_78 I use MSI afterburner (for custom fan profile) but it has an OSD which has the abillity to show everything even frame time :) (takes some configuring)

Last edited:
Planet coaster is not on Steam.

you can add any game or game launcher to steam as "Non steam game" and have the steam overlay in that game. in this case, when you start planet coaster after launching the frontier launchpad from steam as non steam game the steam overlay can show you the FPS

I must admit that whilst the performance on my PC isn't terrible by any means it gets very choppy sometimes with just one very large unthemed coaster in it. Fraps is logging it at around 23-24 FPS which is kinda low imo given my specs - perhaps it's a setup problem? I kind of just assumed that it was the state of the game but since people are running much more detailed parks easily on i5s I'm starting to think something is wrong.

My specs are:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (Not overclocked)
RAM: 16 GB of DDR3
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7850

Also the game is running off of a solid state drive. Any ideas or should I post a dxdiag?

Planet Coaster doesn't currently support SLI, so one of those 1080s will basically be idle [happy]

Cheers

Andy

Cool, Np, I like that word currently. [up] when its released? maybe alpha 3? [big grin]

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

When using Fraps, the FPS takes about a 10 frame drop in speed. Fraps is a FPS hog.

each to their own I guess, some people do like it just for the counter and screenshots.

Cool, Np, I like that word currently. [up] when its released? maybe alpha 3? [big grin]

There is the potential that you could get some SLI support right now by using Nvidia Inspector and forcing SLI support through the driver -- see this post on these forums. This tweak is not supported by Frontier in any way. The game is leaning more to CPU dependent now (faster CPU gives higher FPS right now), so reports by users are that adding in the SLI won't currently boost your FPS that much, hopefully as the game development matures performance will get better.

Edit: I remember that Frontier posted on one of their social media accounts that they bought a Nvidia 1080 to work with, so hopefully they'll give us enough eyecandy options to fully max out the fastest GPUs today and ones to come in the future.

Last edited:
That's true normally I would use the game's interal FPS counter (e.g. with source games) but unfortunately PC doesn't have one - yet.

I've always found msi afterburners OSD takes no impact to the system and gaming experience at all :D (it shows the same FPS as steam overlay does at all time)

I have seen no real difference between FRAPS and an internal FPS counter from other games tbh. Maybe one or two but certainly not 10fps. To give an idea FRAPS, Steam overlay, MSI Afterburner and Prescision X all give me the same figures or there abouts in Planet Coaster.

To everyone saying that its not a bug, I understand. But they have to place a limit on the CPU usage at some level. If they don't, then no matter what CPU you have the game will begin to slow down at some point.

My Exon running 16 threads should not be used at 85%. This is a game, not a video editor, or some crazy CPU benchmark. And if they don't change it, good luck to anyone on the recommended i5. With that processor and a large detailed park, the game will be unplayable.

I am all for the game having great AI and to use the CPU, but as limit has to be set at some point. Maybe I need to upgrade to a quantum computer to build a full size park?

Last edited:
To everyone saying that its not a bug, I understand. But they have to place a limit on the CPU usage at some level. If they don't, then no matter what CPU you have the game will begin to slow down at some point.

My Exon running 16 threads should not be used at 85%. This is a game, not a video editor, or some crazy CPU benchmark. And if they don't change it, good luck to anyone on the recommended i5. With that processor and a large detailed park, the game will be unplayable.

I am all for the game having great AI and to use the CPU, but as limit has to be set at some point. Maybe I need to upgrade to a quantum computer to build a full size park?

My understanding is that Planet Coaster is supposed to intelligently scale to the hardware that is is run on (dynamically adjust the quality limits depending on the users computer). An old i5 that is half as good of your Xeon would still run the game, but the simulation would be intelligently reduced in a manner that would not effect the enjoyment of the game. For example, instead of simulating a finer 5 minute intervals the game would switch to a courser 10 minutes intervals (super basic example).

Frontier certainly wants the game to be smooth, playable and enjoyable to the most amount of people. All the opinions on performance you are reading at the moment are about a developmental alpha build. The game is a work in progress now, always keep that in mind.

Regarding the game using 85% of a computer. Think of it in car terms. If my Honda has a 6 cylinder engine. I'm not going to complain when it switches from the eco mode using 2 cylinders to using the full 6 cylinders when I accelerate or driving down the freeway at 70mph. The 6 cylinders are there to be used, same with a CPU.

Last edited:
I have dual-xeon (32 total cores) and when I first got the game it was freezing on me constantly and my cpu usage would also spike up to 85% before it froze. I quickly realized that it was the crowd system because it would only happen when I added a ride to my park and the people starting coming in. Tech support spoke to some of the dev team coders and I was told that the code wasn't written to handle that many cores. I couldn't even limit the number of cores I'm using in the task manager, I had to add a command line in the launcher limiting my number of cores to 6 and now it runs fine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom