HELP! DS4 Controller on PC has one radical "game-breaking" difference from PS4

So I've migrated from PS4 to PC, and after two years of flying with the DS4, I'm most comfortable in just using this on my PC. Muscle memory is a power thing! Here is my problem:

On PS4, buttons can serve both as primary functions and modifiers. Let me give you an example. If I want to tap the square button to deploy hardpoints, I can do that, but I can also hold down that same square button and add functionality to the d-pad and trigger buttons. This greatly increases the various possible button combinations using the DS4.

On PC, if I hold down the square while using my d-pad to activate my various panels, sure they activate, but my hardpoints deploy at the same time! In fact, they'll deploy and stow and deploy and stow while I'm trying to use square as a modifier key. THIS IS NOT WANTED BEHAVIOR! Like I said, this is radically different than how the DS4 works on PS4...

Please tell me there is a fix for this. If not, it's seriously going to screw up my ability to use a controller with ED (again, that muscle memory). It also greatly limits the DS4, which is already limited thanks to the touchpad not being recognized.

Either way I need to know. There's no sense for me to customize my controls (which is taking me all day long) if the DS4 is "broken" on PC. I say again, HELP!!!!

I'm using a Steam controller and noticed a similar behavior. The only combos that work without triggering the main function of the button are the ones what show up on the overlay if I hold the modifier button (A, B, X, Y). Everything else triggers the primary and combo function.

New problem!! I lost my custom binds!!!! Well, I found out that they are still there (praise the Lord!) but I'm getting a Missing Devices: DualShock4 error recorded in my BindLoadingErrors file.

I've tried every USB port. Windows sees my controller just fine, so I don't know what the problem is. It does just show up as a "Wireless Controller" under Windows, so maybe ED can't see it for what it is. I can do some magic with the binds file if for some reason ED no longer sees this controller as a DS4 (assuming the buttons still equate).

Oi, oi, oi.

Hmm I've been using a PS4 controller for Elite for as long as I remember, and never come across these issues. Are you using Steam controller companion by any chance?

Hmm I've been using a PS4 controller for Elite for as long as I remember, and never come across these issues. Are you using Steam controller companion by any chance?
I have no idea.. I'm new to Steam. I know it launches ED. I also know it pops up a little dialog saying it recognizes the Playstation controller. However, now ED doesn't recognize it. I can't even reprogram my controls as the DS4 seem to be invisible to ED all of the sudden.

Maybe the problem is with steam? Though Windows sees it... I'm very confused and a bit irritable!

I have no idea.. I'm new to Steam. I know it launches ED. I also know it pops up a little dialog saying it recognizes the Playstation controller. However, now ED doesn't recognize it. I can't even reprogram my controls as the DS4 seem to be invisible to ED all of the sudden.

Maybe the problem is with steam? Though Windows sees it... I'm very confused and a bit irritable!
I'm confused.
Are you using it via USB or wireless?

USB. I turned on this "Steam Overlay" thing, and now the controller is showing up as a XBox controller!!!! Just shoot me.

Steam has native PS4 controller support, so having it running along with certain other options will change how it's mapped and seen by Windows/games.

I only have very limited experience with Steam, so I can't say how to change these settings off the top of my head.

Steam has native PS4 controller support, so having it running along with certain other options will change how it's mapped and seen by Windows/games.

I only have very limited experience with Steam, so I can't say how to change these settings off the top of my head.
I FINALLY got it working again. I had to turn on the Steam Overlay feature, but then I had to turn OFF Playstation Controller support..... ????? !!!!!!

I'm guessing, reading the fine print, that turning on DS4 support basically means Steam takes over and does all its fancy configurations and such (which resulted in ED thinking I had an XBox controller for reasons unknown). Turning off support must still like the DS4 get seen by ED.

Now what I don't understand is that Windows sees my controller just fine without Steam, so why can't Elite? What do you folks who use DS4 on a non-Steam version of ED do to make it work?

I FINALLY got it working again. I had to turn on the Steam Overlay feature, but then I had to turn OFF Playstation Controller support..... ????? !!!!!!

I'm guessing, reading the fine print, that turning on DS4 support basically means Steam takes over and does all its fancy configurations and such (which resulted in ED thinking I had an XBox controller for reasons unknown). Turning off support must still like the DS4 get seen by ED.

Windows has native XBox 360 controller support so mappers often use that to support other controllers. Turning off the Playstation Controller support probably

Now what I don't understand is that Windows sees my controller just fine without Steam, so why can't Elite? What do you folks who use DS4 on a non-Steam version of ED do to make it work?

Elite should be able to see the controller without Steam.

I had a DS4 for a while and it worked like a normal gamepad without any other mapper. I used DS4Windows to get it detected as an XBox 360 controller and a mouse.

How I understand it the controller support functions in the Steam overlay make the controller work like a Steam Controller. Therefore all input goes through Steam ( XInput ?) and no longer through Windows. Elite sees them as different controllers, even if it's the same physical controller.

I wireless connected it to Win10, Win10 recognised it.
Started Elite, DS4 shows up. Set up my controls.

Been fine since January.

Took me three days and a lot of help from here just to find out that I have to shut my HOTAS off to make it work. There are those that though or assumed I was trolling. But switching from a console to a pc is like being born again and this time instead of being right handed, your left handed.

Took me three days and a lot of help from here just to find out that I have to shut my HOTAS off to make it work. There are those that though or assumed I was trolling. But switching from a console to a pc is like being born again and this time instead of being right handed, your left handed.
That's for sure! I'm currently harmless, helpless, penniless, and aimless, and all these labels feel appropriate as this is just how I feel trying to get everything working on PC properly. I've also grown to disillusioned with Steam, just like you. It's making things too complicated!

That's for sure! I'm currently harmless, helpless, penniless, and aimless, and all these labels feel appropriate as this is just how I feel trying to get everything working on PC properly. I've also grown to disillusioned with Steam, just like you. It's making things too complicated!
ED was designed on and for a pc, it was redesigned for the ps4 and then again for the xbox. Basically three different copies are exactly the same but designed in such a way to be conducive to only one particular platform. It would seem that steam is attempting and successful to some degree to meld one copy for all three platforms.

Though I've finally been successful getting my hotas to work. I'm really not looking forward to the purchase of a considerably different brand and model then I have now. And attempting to get it working using the steam controller section. I'm curious as to how many experienced pc player's are actually utilizing a steam version vs a frontier version of the game.

Top Bottom