Ships help on getting the imperial cutter

Data missions, they're the ones to do, you can stack 50 because they don't take up space!
Yes, exactly.

50?
Did they increased the mission cap from 20 to 50?

And actually not - data missions are quite ok to level lower ranks, but for higher ones the more expensive +++++ rep missions are better.
Ngalinn/Mainani ripped my soul off until i got to rank 9 or 10 and decided that enough is enough (that was my XB main, the steam alt did what i said in post #19)
For example stacking passenger missions in robigo (yep, they have an imperial faction down there) or passenger evac missions (kinda rare to have a station burning these days) and not at last, stacking supply/delivery missions along with whatever stackable missions one might get, including the fotm massacre missions

50?
Did they increased the mission cap from 20 to 50?

And actually not - data missions are quite ok to level lower ranks, but for higher ones the more expensive +++++ rep missions are better.
Ngalinn/Mainani ripped my soul off until i got to rank 9 or 10 and decided that enough is enough (that was my XB main, the steam alt did what i said in post #19)
For example stacking passenger missions in robigo (yep, they have an imperial faction down there) or passenger evac missions (kinda rare to have a station burning these days) and not at last, stacking supply/delivery missions along with whatever stackable missions one might get, including the fotm massacre missions

You are wrong. In Achenar there are 6 fractions, and they are all Imperial. The amount of data missions you can get and total amount of rank you can get over time is far more than what you can get in Robigo and most other places.

But it’s not like you should do just one type of mission to rank up IMO. I think that would ruin the fun for most people.

Last edited:
You are wrong. In Achenar there are 6 fractions, and they are all Imperial. The amount of data missions you can get and total amount of rank you can get over time is far more than what you can get in Robigo and most other places.

No, i'm not.
Achenar is also permit locked and you cant go there to start the grind
Also Achenar is a really really bad choice for grinding the ranks since those stations are ridiculously far from drop of point.

Getting 5-6 +++++rep missions from Robigo\s only imperial faction is better than doing 20 data missions twice - especially when trying to get from marquis to duke

But it’s not like you should do just one type of mission to rank up IMO. I think that would ruin the fun for most people.

Well that's about right and is exactly what i was saying in the post #19

Oh well, guess i still suffer from PTSD due to Ngalinn/Mainani 🤪 (and that happened like 2 years ago)

Agreed, but most of the other posts are just arguing over which grind they chose. Personally I choose a couple of all-imperial-faction systems and just pick the REP+++++ missions I fancy doing. And when I get bored I go do something else. Seemed to go by pretty fast 🤷‍♀️ And no PTSD :ROFLMAO:

No, i'm not.
Achenar is also permit locked and you cant go there to start the grind
Also Achenar is a really really bad choice for grinding the ranks since those stations are ridiculously far from drop of point.

Getting 5-6 +++++rep missions from Robigo\s only imperial faction is better than doing 20 data missions twice - especially when trying to get from marquis to duke

Well that's about right and is exactly what i was saying in the post #19

Oh well, guess i still suffer from PTSD due to Ngalinn/Mainani 🤪 (and that happened like 2 years ago)

Agreed.

When I did it (but it's long time ago) the "Ngalinn Run" was perfect,Data and Biowaste hauling,lot of Rep and making money in the process,avoid the farthest Staions and planet Outposts,not worth the time.

I can only say that rank grind without understanding the underlying rep mechanisms will be soul crushing for you OP, but choose your own poison.

Also keep in mind that an A rated Cutter costs about one billion credits, and the insurance is several millions (can reach 50mil on some setups). Don't fly without rebuy or be prepared to lose that 1B investment...

To get the Cutter you have to be The Duke in terms of Imperial rank. While first ranks come easy, further down the road they slow to a crawl of 0.1-0.2% per mission even on the best of rep++++. Not to mention the rng on a rank up mission showing on the board.

Getting the big 3 (Conda, Cutter, Corvette) used to be endgame. The later two require rank grind for empire and federation respectively, as you noticed. Without knowledge of how ships work you will be blown outta sky in no time in the Cutter, and that effort will go to waste until you learn to fly properly... Also if I remember correctly, NPCs scale with ship, so expect some tough NPC ships getting sent after that cutter.

You also need engineering on those ships. Without unlocked engineers, you will have really hard time flying the speedy brick the cutter is. The shield capacity unengineered isn't impressive and is far too low for a ship of this size and price IMHO... And the jumprange is really :poop: even with A rated fsd. Engineering mandatory in my opinion.

Having said that, maybe you confused the Cutter with the Courier? It's fast and agile mission runner and with a sparkle of engineering it can outrun and enjoy most gankers.

TL; DR don't go for a Lamborghini when you just got your driving licence... It will not end well.

Last edited:
Running courier missions between Ngalinn and Mainani should still work.

It does, just did it over the weekend. There were lots of courier missions available and I was able to max out on missions most times at the stations. Include Ativa (spelling?) in the systems you pick, its also a short jump away. You can do the cargo runs they give more REP, but they are longer haul and don't stack well since your cargo space is limited to a medium ship.

I think it must depend a bit on the system/faction states since it seemed to go much quicker this time.

Data missions, they're the ones to do, you can stack 50 because they don't take up space!

Mistype? Unfortunately only 20 at a time, unless you have a "special" version of the game?

Whats the galmap?

Don't mean to be harsh, but from the questions you have asked in this post, you really should focus on something other than the largest most expensive ship in the game. If you rush toward the Cutter with this little experience, you'll be flying a massive expensive coffin.

Don't mean to be harsh, but from the questions you have asked in this post, you really should focus on something other than the largest most expensive ship in the game. If you rush toward the Cutter with this little experience, you'll be flying a massive expensive coffin.

i do know what it means

I agree 100% with post #31. And I might add: my progress slowed down considerably ca. from “Baron” rank (clipper unlocked) even doing +++++ missions exclusively. No matter what, it’s a grind, meaning hundreds of completed missions.

Get a small ship, get as much jump range as you can.
Go to Mainani - Mies Van Der Rohes claim
Accept all currier missions to go to Naglinn
Go to Naglinn, turn in currior missions, take all currior missions to go back to Mainani
Go back to Mainani, take rewards that give +rep
Only accept "imperial navy" missions, will be at the top of the mission lists for a contact, if the mission is just another currior mission to either Mainani or Naglinn
Repeat until the rank you need to be.

Well OP , if you're interested in VERY FAST ranking in Empire or/and Federation IGNORE all posts above, get a medium / big ship, load her with eco passengers cabins AND a 64 tones cargo rack, a Collector Limpet Controller and rush at a damaged / burning station.
For Empire rank go to Lembass System / Tsao Prospect.

You can get between 45-50 stars / trip, in 5 minutes. That is 4-5 ranks / hour. I got my Cutter for my second account like that in just 1 day.
Just keep tabs on the stars you got, do not rush to rank-up immediately after you reached 100% in a rank but instead keep doing missions , again and again - I can tell you I "jumped" from Knight to Duke ( that is, from a level 5 rank to a level 12 rank ) with some 680 - 700 stars, all made at once in some 12-14 trips, with 20-25 stars / trip from passengers rewards ( always, ALWAYS choose reputation ! ) and 20-25 stars more from the collected things inside the burning station : you get in, deploy the collectors, "clean" all the floating items, and only AFTER you got all items you will land to board passengers. Obvious, all your utility mounts will have heatsinks :p

Also, Imp.s / Federation guys will always get your first seats :p; In fact you will ONLY load Imps / Feds until are no more, and only then you may load Alliance guys.

Once you got some 700-1000 stars ( just keep tabs on the missions stars you get as rewards) you can jump to a system controlled by Imps or Feds and sure enough, pick the "navy" rank missions. Sometimes you may need to "flip the board" since usually the ranking "navy" missions will not pop-up one after the other very fast...

Remember, "damaged stations" events are relatively rare and are the best, by a far margin, for fast ranking - so you should profit from those when you can still do that.
Right now, only Lembass - for Imps - can b used; The other station, with Federal factions presence., is no more available ( was repaired) - one more reason why you should hurry up.

Is no other way to get 40-50 reputation stars in just one trip - the best you can get is 7-10 stars stacking 1-2-3 missions for the same destination, not an easy thing and for sure, not a constant one.
Hurry-up to Lembass system, is still open for Imperial ranking, today. Dedicate 2-3 hours in that, and you may get the Duke rank today.
GL !

Last edited:
Running courier missions between Ngalinn and Mainani should still work.
This is the way I did mine. The credits were steady. I went from my sidewinder to a DBX, and then an ASPX too by the time I finished. I didn't really know how to fly or dock all that well when I first started, but practice makes perfect.

OP, if you want the cutter, don't listen to the naysayers. Samson was the first of the big three for me. She has flown just about every where, faced every type of hostile PvE environment, except Thargoids. She got me into engineering. She earned me a ton of credits. I changed her internals at need. I loved her so much, I bought another that I use strictly as an armed trader.

Oh, and don't forget Li Yong-Rui exploited\controlled systems. The dscounts will save you a small fortune.

Last edited:
I couldn't wait to get a Cutter. Bought one, hated it, sold it. Bought another one, hate it still. Ambition is good, but put it toward the Federal Corvette, I think you'll be MUCH happier, IMO. If you DO buy the Cutter, which costs an arm and a leg and a kidney, get it from Li Young Rui, and the ONLY place I think you can buy it from him is Hiyya Orbital in Arjung. And you'd better have some good credits saved up! I think my fuel scoop in this flying bus cost about as much as 10 Krait MKIIs!

Last edited:
Top Bottom