Historical Hulse-Taylor Binary system does NOT contain a Hulse-Taylor Binary =(

Dear wonderful people at Frontier,
I must start with I love this game and am having the time of my life exploring the galaxy for the first time since I got the game over two years ago. I love how close to the real galaxy it is. However there are a few exceptions that really need a closer look.
PSR J1915+1606 is the first Hulse-Taylor Binary system discovered. It is supposed to contain two neutron stars orbiting at a very close range. This system was instrumental in Gravitational Wave research. Its discoverers won the Nobel Prize in 1993. Here is the wiki link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hulse–Taylor_binary
I came here to do a video about famous Pulsars which includes LGM-1, Vela Pulsar, Crab Pulsar, PSR B0633+17, PSR J1748-2446 and more.
I have already visited PSR J1748-2446 which is the fastest known pulsar spinning at 24% the speed of light! However when I arrived there. It was just a normal Neutron star. That was fine, I didn't expect that to be accurate. But when I arrived to PSR J1915+1606 I did not find two neutron stars orbiting each other. I found one neutron star and one main sequence star! It's like going out of your way to drive all the way to South Dakota and instead of seeing Mount Rushmore you find a statue of Dan Quayle on a park bench.
Undeterred I'm headed to LGM-1 which is the first Pulsar star discovered. When it was first detected researchers thought its signal could be radio transmissions from an alien civilization, hence the name "Little Green Men". I just hope there is actually a pulsar in game there. So far Elite have been 0-2 in historical pulsars so just a heads up.
Thanks,
CMDR Mars Yurip of Ghost Giraffe

Dear wonderful people at Frontier,
I must start with I love this game and am having the time of my life exploring the galaxy for the first time since I got the game over two years ago. I love how close to the real galaxy it is. However there are a few exceptions that really need a closer look.
PSR J1915+1606 is the first Hulse-Taylor Binary system discovered. It is supposed to contain two neutron stars orbiting at a very close range. This system was instrumental in Gravitational Wave research. Its discoverers won the Nobel Prize in 1993. Here is the wiki link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hulse–Taylor_binary
I came here to do a video about famous Pulsars which includes LGM-1, Vela Pulsar, Crab Pulsar, PSR B0633+17, PSR J1748-2446 and more.
I have already visited PSR J1748-2446 which is the fastest known pulsar spinning at 24% the speed of light! However when I arrived there. It was just a normal Neutron star. That was fine, I didn't expect that to be accurate. But when I arrived to PSR J1915+1606 I did not find two neutron stars orbiting each other. I found one neutron star and one main sequence star! It's like going out of your way to drive all the way to South Dakota and instead of seeing Mount Rushmore you find a statue of Dan Quayle on a park bench.
Undeterred I'm headed to LGM-1 which is the first Pulsar star discovered. When it was first detected researchers thought its signal could be radio transmissions from an alien civilization, hence the name "Little Green Men". I just hope there is actually a pulsar in game there. So far Elite have been 0-2 in historical pulsars so just a heads up.
Thanks,
CMDR Mars Yurip of Ghost Giraffe

Just a heads-up:
You can check the major stars present in a system from the GalMap information tab even before you've explored it - this would have saved you from disappointment with the lack of binary neutron stars.

Oh and there are only neutron stars - no pulsars - since the only difference between a pulsar and an NS is the direction it's pointing in.

Last edited:
Top Bottom