Horizons / Odyssey Compatibility

All the way back with Diablo2 you couldn't install with people who didn't buy the expansion, even if you both played non-DLC characters. There isn't much that weird about having to buy an expansion to play with people who bought the expansion. The bizarre thing is that FD bothers to constantly give away stuff for free to people. And now those people are complaining FD isn't giving it away for free fast enough.

I cant think of a more literal example of unwarranted entitled.
I love when fanboys go with "entitled" argument every time someone attacks their precious game. You are talking about 21 year old game that is not marketed as an MMO.

Two questions... Will there be an EDH client update on EDO PC launch day? (to cope with the upgraded galaxy)

and (with fuel rat helmet on)
At Console release time, will the PEGI related EDO/EDH instancing split only affect on-foot cmdrs? or anything near a planet surface, or something wider???

Well, colour me confused.
I have no idea if I, an Odyssey owner, launches Horizons will get the planetary tech from Odyssey or if I will get the same Horizons tech I get now, but wait until console players get Odssey and I'm also confused as to whether PC Odyssey players can be instanced with Horizons players on PC or if console Odssey players can be instanced with Horizons players

Only Frontier could post a clarification and make it more confusing.
GG Frontier.

This bit is incorrect. Here a bit of recent summarized info about it.
How many of those are people who get the game on EGS and launched it once?

I see it doesnt count EGS players, but tbh that seems like a marketing stretch. Games with 10x less pop have 20x more active users on reddit and forums.

Last edited:
So? I don't get the issue with paying for something that others worked on if I like it.

Some here:"lol EDO so terrible haha so little effort spent on it rofl me skipping this crap lol."
FD:"You wont have any of it for months unless you pay for it."
Some here:"Not fair!!!! I will be drooling for months it looks so awesome just gimme! 😭 😭 😭"

Erm?
No?

I pay for the Armstrong moment, but also for the ability to enjoy better planetary tech - generally speaking a better game engine.
The Armstrong moment is reserved only to Odyssey, but the engine will be for everyone... just not now.. maybe in 4-6 months

A business practice that did not happen at Horizons launch, or did it?

Doing it 10-15 times a day because you sometimes want to play with friends and sometimes do Odyssey content.... I am constantly astonished how fanboys can defend the most egregious feat of incompetence that, frankly, shouldn't be made by an indie dev, let alone a huge company.

Having a workaround is not an excuse for bad design.
Perhaps a word like minor nuisance or inconvenience could be used rather than "serious gymnastics" Either way it's temporary situation as they keep on working with the optimisation ready for console launch. Anyone who isn't getting odyssey probably isn't that much into the game anyway.

You know, you dont have to defend every criticism of a game, just because you like it? The truth is Fdev messed up. As a customers we have a right to point this out. Some people pre-ordered Odyssey and now they get info about fails like that... Not an encouraging sign.
People still have time for a refund if they want it... I won't be personally, but others may wish to do so, but I agree this was somewhat mishandled by having a poorly worded and ambigious first post (which they have now clarified).

I love when fanboys go with "entitled" argument every time someone attacks their precious game. You are talking about 21 year old game that is not marketed as an MMO.
Fanboys? Attacks? Precious? You all right there mate?

FD announced that if you want to get the EDO stuff immediately you have to buy EDO. Else you get stuff for free in a few months. Okay, I can live with that. If you want to rage for hours about you not getting it for free immediately, by all means.

I'm confused, the people who pre-ordered Odyssey will still get to ... play Odyssey?

And Horizons .. though not necessarily at the same time 'fail'.

ps. We already know the only bases Odyssey players can meaningfully interact with won't be visible to Horizons so a shared server ends up being pretty meaningless anyway.

Perhaps a word like minor nuisance or inconvenience could be used rather than "serious gymnastics" Either way it's temporary situation as they keep on working with the optimisation ready for console launch. Anyone who isn't getting odyssey probably isn't that much into the game anyway.
Then why do they market this as full release instead of beta? Gotta cash those $ before the fiscal year ends on 31st of May... It is obvious that the console release is the real launch.

A lot of people are into the game but do not have the money or want to wait for some sale. More than half of my squadron just doesnt care about the legs so they prefer to wait 'till the D:C will be discounted in the future.

Bruce G

Senior Community Manager
I have no idea if I, an Odyssey owner, launches Horizons will get the planetary tech from Odyssey or if I will get the same Horizons tech I get now, but wait until console players get Odssey and I'm also confused as to whether PC Odyssey players can be instanced with Horizons players on PC or if console Odssey players can be instanced with Horizons players

GG Frontier.

After 19 May, if you as an Odyssey owner launch the Horizons version of the game, you (and everyone else playing Horizons) will see the original, pre-upgrade, version of planetary tech. Once Odyssey has launched on console, the Horizons version of the game will receive the graphical updates on all platforms, so it will look the same for everyone.

Between PC launch and console launch, you will not be able to instance with Horizons players if you are playing Odyssey. After console launch, you will be able to. Albeit, Horizons players will be limited to SRV travel on planet surfaces.

Wait, so I want to make sure I have read this correctly...

1) People who are on the Horizons client and the Odyssey client will not instance with one another in any fashion (including in non-Odyssey content, like flying in supercruise).
2) We will not be able to instance with one another until the console launch later this year (if that is even going to launch on time).

You realize the implications this will have in an activity such as Powerplay, where we will have to have commanders in both clients to potentially stop enemy CMDRs, who are in open, from doing things that negatively effect the power?

Last edited by a moderator:

GG Frontier.
If you launch the Horizons version you won't have the new planetary tech (until autumn/console release).

It was the same with Horizons and the base game. If you launched the latter, you'd get different planetary models in space, even though you owned Horizons.

edit: Ninja'd by Bruce

None, which you'd have known if you'd bothered reading the summary post that you were linked, or the original source linked inside it.
I edited my post. Seems like a marketing stretch tbh but fair enough. Probably the fault of instancing being so .

GG Frontier.

As I read it.

May 19th
-> PC players with Odyssey gain access to it and all updates and features.
-> PC players who own Horizons, will see no changes at this time.
-> PC Odyssey Players & PC Horizon players will be in separate 'instances'; if you want to play together then the Odyssey player must load Horizons from the launcher but will then not have odyssey features and updates.

Autumn TBC
-> Console players get Odyssey upgrades
-> Both Console & PC Horizons players will receive updates (planet tech, lighting etc) t
-> Odyssey & Horizon players will be able to play together in same instances at this point (still platform limited though)

BGS is still shared between all platforms & SKUs as is the case now.

Top Bottom