Newcomer / Intro How do I find where to buy a Cobra MkIII?

fwiw, I have also mentioned in another post that it is a very good idea to check what ships are available at every station you visit so that you can remember or make notes for your next purchase, hopefully saving you time and grief.

the odds of not finding a cobra at a station are very slim, same with sidewinder...

As far as the underlying logic goes, which is I think what OP is wondering about, it's very unclear. Roughly speaking, systems that are richer and with more technologically-advanced economies will carry more advanced ships in their shipyards, and also have more slots in the selection. This seems to apply across all ship sizes, so even the poorest backwater starport will stock some kind of large ship, so it's not just based on cost. Afaik the Cobra is a moderately advanced small ship, so you'll be most likely to find one in economies (like industrial, as mentioned above) that are moderately but not maximally developed. Unfortunately this is only a very broad rule of thumb that is guiding the RNG - the desire for more reliable information is exactly why the external databases were compiled.
Yes ....... and almost a mandatory reason for me to use, quoting you, "external databases".
It's disappointing that we have to rely on "external databases" for such information and cannot search for the same with just ED-H.
Hence the reason for my original question. ;)

I would not visit carriers, there is no reason at all to expect to buy ships from them.
first the carrier is private and has to be set by the owner to allow any person to dock or buy anything,
then you have to hope he has bought the useless package for his 5+billion credit carrier, unless his intent is to help newbies, cobra won't be there.

read my post about where LARGE Stations, NOT outposts sell ships, they sell to everyone, carriers do NOT.

did you maybe mistype and are actually looking for the cobra mkIV ? if so, you will not find one...

That is, only using Elite Dangerous-Horizons. ie. Using no External Sites.

The correct answer is: Brestla, I Sola Prospect.
It's a planetary port, but since now everyone has Horizons it should be no problem

However, while it has almost everything, that comes at a 20% surcharge rate

........ it is a very good idea to check what ships are available at every station you visit so that you can remember or make notes for your next purchase, .......
Good point. (y) However, don't the Shipyards, "runout" of particular ships. What I'm saying: is there a possibility Shipyard stocks will change? ;)
the odds of not finding a cobra at a station are very slim, ......
Agree. (y) Hence I'm going back to Ray Stn in the Diaguandri System just to again check. ;)

you are correct and I have indicated supply and demand in my other, other post..heh

all stations can run out of any/everything. hence sometimes eddb is not wrong, but in accurate, more importantly, not wrong but a correct guide with RNG and cmdrs and time making it appear wrong.

tick is when they replenish, so roughly 2pm and/or 2 am daily
goods aka commodities replenish every 15, 30, 60 minutes, ships and modules only once per 24 hours

I am surprised that you know this, most people do not.

Good point. (y) However, don't the Shipyards, "runout" of particular ships. What I'm saying: is there a possibility Shipyard stocks will change? ;)

Agree. (y) Hence I'm going back to Ray Stn in the Diaguandri System just to again check. ;)
according to eddb ray does not sell the cobra....
besides your actual original question that we have answered, is there a reason you don't want to use eddb?

Thank you for telling me where. (y)
However, the question was also meant to infer that if it was possible, how do I physically do it ? Thank you.
1) hyperspace to system

2) when in system locate station or dockable entity with shipyard

3) fly to location

4) dock

5) goto shipyard and press the right arrow on the screen to look through available ships until you have either gone through the list or located a Cobra Mk III. If you find one click purchase :)

you have been told by a couple cmdrs

there is no ingame method to find ships or modules
fly to large stations and look is the only way.
Sorry, I wasn't questioning them. Just making sure ........ so as to justify my painful disappointment. 😜
I made another post elsewhere that does tell what types of stations tend to sell certain ships. but this boils down to experience and seeing the patterns.

but only large space stations have shipyards(not all but most do have a shipyard)
Oh? In my search for shipyards and a Cobra, I note Carriers are listed having Shipyards, but when you go and look, they are "unavailable". Suppose you're saying the same thing really, providing all Carrier Shipyards are "Unavailable".
to repeat there is no ingame method to find ships or modules
your best bet is using eddb if you really want to not waste time and gain frustration.
(y)

I note Carriers are listed having Shipyards
Carriers can have shipyards that are available to CMDRs other than the owner, but it costs a lot of money and there's not a huge reason to do it. And the owner has to specifically decide what ships/modules pack to buy for their carrier. So, it's very unlikely that you'll find any ships for sale on a carrier, unless you talk to the owner first and confirm it.

re: Oh? In my search for shipyards and a Cobra, I note Carriers are listed having Shipyards, but when you go and look, they are "unavailable". Suppose you're saying the same thing really, providing all Carrier Shipyards are "Unavailable".

so you have used inara then, both inara and eddb allow to filter out carriers

as I mentioned, they are privately owned and extremely unlikely to ever give you what you want.
carrier owners can store their own ships on them but they have to buy the shipyard package to allow others to store ships and they have to then also buy the extra useless ship packages to be able to sell them. most cmdrs do not do this.
I have the shipyard package on my carriers and because I have bought packages, I don't buy them any more, they are useless, you cannot get discounts nor can you stock specific ships(you have to buy crap with the ones you want) and there are a few ships you cannot buy at all, same with modules. both are a giant waste of money.
They also make your cargo storage size shrink.

1) hyperspace to system

2) when in system locate station or dockable entity with shipyard

3) fly to location

4) dock

5) goto shipyard and press the right arrow on the screen to look through available ships until you have either gone through the list or located a Cobra Mk III. If you find one click purchase :)
Yes, thanks for that.
However, it's more on how to be more selective in regard to, quote Para: "industrial, extraction, and lastly high-tech systems".
(IMHO I think Para means 'Stations', etc, not 'Systems' .... 😉)
I now think Galaxy Map Station details help with this. It even tells you which Stations, Carriers, etc have shipyards.
Although I have so far found this information to be unreliable, particularly in regard to Carriers.

buying ships and modules from Li Yong Rui system stations gets a 15% discount. this also then makes your insurance go down by 15%.
Shinrarta gets roughly a 10% discount
and sometimes fdev makes even better discounts available, always worth watching out for.

It is the Bodies (eg. Stations, Carriers, etc ) that have the shipsyards, not Systems as I understand it.
Stations yes, but bodies includes planets and such. And Carriers can but usually don't have shipyards you can buy from. So, just Stations. That's all you want to look at.

Top Bottom