Engineers How do we get Elvira Martuuk to level 5 on FSD engineering?

It's still open, just looked. It's been about 18hrs since my last response, nothing back from them. Don't know what else to say, or suggest. To me it's obvious what's happened, if they can't "fix it" then say so. But to suggest starting from grade 1 again, with no other explanation, is kinda poor on their part.

If there's a disconnect with this company, it's a lack of understanding about how tedious many people find acquiring mats.

Ya, I don't get it. To a certain extent I don't mind a bit of grind, if it's towards something I really want. Getting a ship just the way you want, we've all been there.

But I despise grind for no good reason. I've done my due diligence grind on these modules to grade 4, I just want to finish them. I'm kinda stuck now, the only choice is to start all over with new modules, senseless.

And, I've made a mess of the Op's post, my apologies. Last post, end to this story. I'll start a new thread if I have a update.

Last edited:
So, the valuable lesson to get from here is to never use pinned blueprints until you are at grade 5 with that engineer. It may be a bug, but you can easily avoid it just by maxing the engineer first. Am I wrong?

So, the valuable lesson to get from here is to never use pinned blueprints until you are at grade 5 with that engineer. It may be a bug, but you can easily avoid it just by maxing the engineer first. Am I wrong?

That is your theory - go and test it. ;)

It's still open, just looked. It's been about 18hrs since my last response, nothing back from them. Don't know what else to say, or suggest. To me it's obvious what's happened, if they can't "fix it" then say so. But to suggest starting from grade 1 again, with no other explanation, is kinda poor on their part.

It's possible I'm mis-reading, but do you know that the grade has to be unlocked with the engineer via reputation? If you haven't gained the reputation with Broo (for example) to unlock Grade 5, then you will not be able to upgrade modules to Grade 5, this is a lock on the engineer, not the engineered module. Remote engineering does not increase reputation with the engineer, you actually have to go to the base and do the engineering. It sounds like this is what support are suggesting to you. Another possibility is to remove the engineering (anyone know if you can remove individual grades?) from one of the engineered modules and re-do it at the engineer's base, or for those engineers you can raise reputation with through other means just use that mechanism instead (e.g. selling exploration data to Farseer or Martuuk).

Edit: hand in bounty vouchers is listed as a possibility for Broo: https://inara.cz/galaxy-engineer/15/

Last edited:

It's possible I'm mis-reading, but do you know that the grade has to be unlocked with the engineer via reputation? If you haven't gained the reputation with Broo (for example) to unlock Grade 5, then you will not be able to upgrade modules to Grade 5, this is a lock on the engineer, not the engineered module. Remote engineering does not increase reputation with the engineer, you actually have to go to the base and do the engineering. It sounds like this is what support are suggesting to you. Another possibility is to remove the engineering (anyone know if you can remove individual grades?) from one of the engineered modules and re-do it at the engineer's base, or for those engineers you can raise reputation with through other means just use that mechanism instead (e.g. selling exploration data to Farseer or Martuuk).

Edit: hand in bounty vouchers is listed as a possibility for Broo: https://inara.cz/galaxy-engineer/15/

"Pinned blueprints" are not the issue here though, not in the context of this issue, they have their own problems though. I have been to his base numerous times with other lasers, and through "crafting modules" I've got to level 4 with Broo, but I didn't have the mats to get to level 5. I currently have 4 lasers at level 4, and 7 others at level 2 or 3.

The only reason I even knew there was a problem, my "pinned blueprint" for him had "suddenly disappeared" after the last update, as well as a few others with different engineers. So, I went to his base to see what was up with the pinned blueprint, and I see that my rep with Broo is level 4, which I knew.

At the other engineers where the blueprints had "vanished", I took the module I wanted to upgrade, had the mats, and was able to carry on from their current level, by "crafting modules", and finish them off at level 5, while also "re-pinning" the blueprint I wanted.

The requirements for Broo's rep gain are "Craft Modules", and or, "Hand in Bounty Vouchers". So, I want to continue on where I left off, and "craft modules" to get to level 5, as was suggested by Support. The problem is, I can't with any existing module I have. I'm going to have to start at level 1 with a new module, which was their suggestion, which is simply ridiculous.

I should be able to take any of my "unfinished" modules to his base, and "gain rep", by "crafting modules" and I simply can't. The only option available to me is start at level 1 again, yet I have 4 modules at level 4 already, plus a bunch at lower levels, that were upgraded "at his base", as he's the only engineer that does level 4/5 for lasers.

Hope that makes sense, I can't "describe/convey the issue" any clearer.

To summarize: I want to increase my "rep gain" with Broo to level 5, I'm currently level 4, at his base, "by crafting modules", using my existing grade 4 modules, or any that I have that are already started, and I can't. I have to buy a "new module" and start over from level 1.

Last edited:
I've had vanishing, pinned blueprints so some bug isn't out of the question imo.
I've had to repin them in every case, which is about 6 times.

I've had vanishing, pinned blueprints so some bug isn't out of the question imo.
I've had to repin them in every case, which is about 6 times.

Which is fine, things happen. That takes a few minutes, and is not "my issue" here, it's the mats grind for absolutely no reason that irks me. I've gone to all the engineers where the blueprints disappeared, re-pinned, and upgraded modules, I just can't upgrade any of my existing modules/lasers any further at Broo's by crafting modules, that's what doesn't make any sense. Yes, I need to up my rep to level 5, and how do you do that, by crafting modules, and it's crafting modules that the system is not allowing at his base, viscous circle.

Last edited:
Which is fine, things happen. That takes a few minutes, and is not "my issue" here, it's the mats grind for absolutely no reason that irks me. I've gone to all the engineers where the blueprints disappeared, re-pinned, and upgraded modules, I just can't upgrade any of my existing modules/lasers any further at Broo's by crafting modules, that's what doesn't make any sense. Yes, I need to up my rep to level 5, and how do you do that, by crafting modules, and it's crafting modules that the system is not allowing at his base, viscous circle.

Understood, I'm just saying they might be related since there's obviously something funky with the engineer unlocks.

Last edited:
Got another response from Support, thanks for that.

Unfortunately, I'm told there's nothing they can do. I have to take a "new laser" to Broo, start over at level 1, and upgrade that laser to level 5, before I can upgrade and of my existing lasers. So, back to collecting mats I guess, it is what it is.

Last edited:
To summarize: I want to increase my "rep gain" with Broo to level 5, I'm currently level 4, at his base, "by crafting modules", using my existing grade 4 modules, or any that I have that are already started, and I can't. I have to buy a "new module" and start over from level 1.

I'm not getting the logic here: you'll need to do modifications a certain number of times to unlock a given grade, if you haven't unlocked a grade then of course you can't start engineering that grade to unlock it. Or are you saying further engineering on modules that you have not already engineered to the full extent currently available isn't increasing your reputation or you've lost reputation / unlocked levels you previously had?

I'm not getting the logic here: you'll need to do modifications a certain number of times to unlock a given grade, if you haven't unlocked a grade then of course you can't start engineering that grade to unlock it. Or are you saying further engineering on modules that you have not already engineered to the full extent currently available isn't increasing your reputation or you've lost reputation / unlocked levels you previously had?

The second part, I can't do anything, "upgrading" to any of the lasers I currently have. I've lost the ability to "craft existing modules", at a grade I should have access to. I can't even "attempt" to upgrade them. The 2 Beam lasers I have with me now are grade 4, and I can't do anything with them at his base.

As support suggested, I have to take a "new untouched module" to his base and start from scratch, grade 1. Something somehow got messed up. I have grade 4 access now, but can't "craft at any level", other than grade 1, with a new module.

Supports also suggesting that after I take a new module to Broo, and upgrade it to grade 5, I will then be able to upgrade the 7 other lasers I have. I have no other option, and actually spent a few hours today in the srv, so I'm about an hour away from being able to get 1 laser to grade 5. Need a few stops at mat traders. See what's happens.

Last edited:
I find it pretty bizarre they can't just stick a couple of G5 modules in your storage and have Broo be unlocked through G5, and done.

But since they've been so helpful and quick in the past, I can only assume it's something they can't actually do.

The second part, I can't do anything, "upgrading" to any of the lasers I currently have. I've lost the ability to "craft existing modules", at a grade I should have access to. I can't even "attempt" to upgrade them. The 2 Beam lasers I have with me now are grade 4, and I can't do anything with them at his base.

As support suggested, I have to take a "new untouched module" to his base and start from scratch, grade 1. Something somehow got messed up. I have grade 4 access now, but can't "craft at any level", other than grade 1, with a new module.

Supports also suggesting that after I take a new module to Broo, and upgrade it to grade 5, I will then be able to upgrade the 7 other lasers I have. I have no other option, and actually spent a few hours today in the srv, so I'm about an hour away from being able to get 1 laser to grade 5. Need a few stops at mat traders. See what's happens.

Can you explain what you would expect to be able to do to the G4 modules until G5 is unlocked? Are changes to experimental effects unavailable?

Can you explain what you would expect to be able to do to the G4 modules until G5 is unlocked? Are changes to experimental effects unavailable?

What do I expect to do? Have the ability to "craft modules" to increase my rep from it's current I'd say grade of 4.75 percent with Broo, but not from starting all over at grade 1 with a new module. I'd like to "pick up" where I left off.

The problem is, like I've now stated far too many times, I can't use any of my "existing modules", whether it's my grade 2/3/4 lasers, to further increase my rep.

It really is moot that you don't understand, support does, and they've offered the only solution. Take a new module to the engineer, and start over.

Not being rude, just stating that the issue has been acknowledged by support as a "bug/system screw up/system brain fart" whatever you'd like to call it. The "why" doesn't need to be questioned any further.

I'll be sure to let you know if supports suggestion works.

Well, that episode is finally over. Took a new laser to Broo, Grade access/level was just over 4.5 on the scale. After 2 attempts at level 3 on the new module it changed to Grade 5 access. Why that couldn't have been done with an existing module is beyond me, but it's done, and over with.

Last edited:
What I'm getting is still that you expected to be able to engineer grade 5 without first unlocking it. Support basically told you that you needed to do more engineering. It's a tautology that you can't further engineer a module that is already at the maximum grade available to you (I suppose you could remove modifications and start again). As soon as you click that modification button, even if it doesn't hit the top of the scale for the grade, you've applied that grade's modification, just not achieved the full effect.

What I'm getting is still that you expected to be able to engineer grade 5 without first unlocking it. Support basically told you that you needed to do more engineering. It's a tautology that you can't further engineer a module that is already at the maximum grade available to you (I suppose you could remove modifications and start again). As soon as you click that modification button, even if it doesn't hit the top of the scale for the grade, you've applied that grade's modification, just not achieved the full effect.

G5 should unlock by maxing out a single G4.
OP already maxxed out the modules at G4.

How are you not getting that?

Back
Top Bottom