How is everybody managing their fleets and storage of multiple engineered versions of modules?

60 slots for module storage might have been enough before Engineering...

with ~25 different ways to engineer each gun in the game, 60 storage slots have obviously turned into a cruel joke...

I ended up buying ship hulls to store modules with alternate engineering. In the case of corvette, cutter and Anaconda, that is kinda expensive... especially when the second storage hull is starting to be a complete, fully engineered ship and you wonder if you need a 3rd hull.
The DBX is a fairly good hull to store modules for smaller ships and the cost is just one and a half times a donation mission, so that's ok...

Still, its an annoyance to find and get to those modules, even if you name those hulls according to what you stored on them.

Between the 60 slots and the overall space of 1000 for engineering materials, I have to guess there must be a few sadists employed at FD - I can't count how many times I was forced to discard hard-won engineering materials, only to be short on those a day later...

The coming 100 slot per item is a lot more fair and how it should have been from the start. Oh well, I'm glad I missed the pain of the early engineering days with commodity requirements - what insanity...

Anyway:

I ended up with the following kludges for logistics / fleet management:

- 2 or 3 hulls of every ship I like, to store engineered alternatives
- Bubble is littered with Zorgon haulers as bookmarks from the time before FD introduced actual bookmarks.
- All ships and all parts without specific location or purpose sit in one *sort of central* station.
- ships with repeating jobs in specific star systems are fitted for that task, stationed there and stay there.
- To get around, I use 50+ lightyear DBX, ASPX or Anaconda - mostly DBX, I think I have 6 of them by now, never far to summon one, when you need just an ugly cockroach shaped taxi with range, that sounds like you're driving a garbage truck.

Here's waiting for FDev to fix storage for us, and looking forward to the fleet carrier, to make the bubble and the spread out engineers less tedious.

My interest and hope is, that some of you have found better ways to avoid excessive logistics stealing your precious time - which you can never get back...

(can't wait for the reply from someone saying "easy! I have just one ship, my Cobra. It goes everywhere I go and that's all there's to it")

Bought another Viper

I only store engineered modules.

This and I have 6 7 Vipers.

A viper and Vulture combo is very economical for storing class 1, 2 & 3 Weapons & utilities.

I don't have too many variants of internal modules that are not in use.

This unfortunately means I am clogged out with Class 4 Weapons.

Last edited:
Did you watch thursdays Beta live stream ?

Module storage is going to be 120 soon & engenerring materials storage has been increased loads during the beta

Never had a problem with storage TBH.

I don't bother storing modules to change a ship from one role to another.
It's far more straightforward to just buy another ship and leave it permanently configured the way I want it for a given role.

I guess I can see why somebody who's operating on a shoestring might choose to swap modules around but it's far easier to just buy another ship for each intended role.

Let's face it; the ship, itself, is always a small fraction of the overall cost of the project.
You spend, say, Cr70m on a T9 and then Cr200m on modules to make it a miner, and then another Cr100m on modules to make it a cargo ship, and you might as well just spend another Cr70m to buy another T9 and save yourself all the bother.

About the only modules I do save are engineered weapons 'cos I always assume there's going to be a new ship I can bung 'em on.
Even there, it's got to the point where I'm happy with the weapons on all my current ships so there's really not much point keeping those either.
Besides, after 3.0, it'll be more straightforward to engineer weapons & modules so it'll be easy enough to just "rebuild" any module/weapon you want to use again.

How is everybody managing their fleets and storage of multiple engineered versions of modules?

I currently only own 7 ships. I wouldn't call that a fleet.
Some more will be added. I think the Chieftain will be another permanent addition.
I have a renewed interest for the T9 after the excellent buff, and also the T10 looks interesting.

I do not have that many modules in storage. Perhaps 10. Certainly not more than that.

I would never buy ships purely for the purpose of module storage and then naming them accordingly.
I can understand you and others do it, and I am fine with that, but for me that is too gamey. It is not how I wish to play the game.

I would like a better way of organizing and reviewing modules in storage.

Last edited:
I currently have only 8 ships that I use. I also have four ships purely for module storage. I also currently have 57/60 in module storage.
Once you start engineering modules then you quickly run out of module storage space. In my opinion the doubled module storage does not go anywhere near far enough. We really could do with around 500 module storage and it really needs to have some way of organising modules into groups.

I'll be selling ships I just don't fly.
All ships are combat/exploration ships. So I'll be keeping:
DBS
DBX
3 iCouriers
Keelback
Dolphin
Aspx
AspE (there's plans for Fdev to upgrade it so I'll keep it around to see if it turns from useless duckling to combat Swan)
Viper IV
Cobra III
Viper
Python
Conda
Cutter
Vette
And last but not least my maxed out Sidewinder!

I currently only own 7 ships. I wouldn't call that a fleet.
Some more will be added. I think the Chieftain will be another permanent addition.
I have a renewed interest for the T9 after the excellent buff, and also the T10 looks interesting.

I do not have that many modules in storage. Perhaps 10. Certainly not more than that.

I would never buy ships purely for the purpose of module storage and then naming them accordingly.
I can understand you and others do it, and I am fine with that, but for me that is too gamey. It is not how I wish to play the game.

I would like a better way of organizing and reviewing modules in storage.

Agree with you both ways... I only just started to do it when I was forced to the choice of either throwing away my laborious and time consuming engineering efforts, or finding a cheesy and in many ways cumbersome "emergent game play" solution...

Main reason for my post was the hope to discover a better way.

Storage of modules could be vastly improved - you can't even sort them by anything right now...

It should be possible to sort them by alphabet, by station, by module type, by module size and if they're engineered or not.
Though I have to say, I don't stick non-engineered modules in my storage anymore...

I currently have only 8 ships that I use. I also have four ships purely for module storage. I also currently have 57/60 in module storage.
Once you start engineering modules then you quickly run out of module storage space. In my opinion the doubled module storage does not go anywhere near far enough. We really could do with around 500 module storage and it really needs to have some way of organising modules into groups.
Somebody suggested in the live stream attaching our own names to modules for easy reference: Cannons for Courier for example.
That'd be useful.
Being able to store them in groups the same way we buy them would be helpful.

I just use multiple storage ships for engineered modules I won't use often but still want to keep (like mines, dumbfire missiles, etc). I just name them what they are - "Explosive Storage" for example.

It helps to have a home base so you can keep most of your stuff in the same place.

I'll be selling ships I just don't fly.
All ships are combat/exploration ships. So I'll be keeping:
DBS
DBX
3 iCouriers
Keelback
Dolphin
Aspx
AspE (there's plans for Fdev to upgrade it so I'll keep it around to see if it turns from useless duckling to combat Swan)
Viper IV
Cobra III
Viper
Python
Conda
Cutter
Vette
And last but not least my maxed out Sidewinder!

I see iCourier and I think: "that's not a courier, unless you're talking to the system next door. The real courier in the game is the DBX..."

Agree 100%, that 120 slots aren't really enough for people who fly multiple ships AND like to experiment with different engineering options on their modules and guns. Isn't that one of the more fun things about the game? Why limit that so severely?

Other MMOs have unlimited storage or at least many hundreds of slots. The load on the database hasn't dissuaded any of the other game publishers yet.

I am not sure if FDev should consider every possible and absurd way of playing the game. Maybe trying to please everybody even with the oddest desires is part of the problem "we" have.

Top Bottom