How many times have you been destroyed?

Let's make this a fun thread (or at least try). How long have you been playing and how many times have you "died" in that time? I'll start:

Playing since: June 2015
Number of deaths ("insurance claims"): 17
Total cost of deaths: ~100 million CR

In case you're wondering, you can find this data in the Codex / Commander / Statistics section.

Additionally, you can add the most memorable destruction if there's one. Mine was in a CZ where I went with my then-brand-new Corvette, all confident that it's essentially indestructible. Turned out it wasn't... the memorable part was that I saw it coming, the moment my shields were gone. I had too much trust in my armor only and by the time I decided to bail out I knew it was too late. It was the most painful "death" due to the sheer cost of the ship. Since then I engineered the s*** out of it just to be sure. :)

Main PC CMDR - 18 Insurance Claims since December 2014 at a total of 90,536,730.
Alt PC CMDR - 1 Insurance Claim since January 2018, 7,210,097. A Type 9. Doing a trade mission and decided to submit to Interdiction to test my mines.
PS4 CMDR - 5 Insurance Claims worth 17,231,910. Played since April 2018

Since my fighter pilot dies for 'real' (the current one is now a billionaire and then some), I try to make sure the risky activities are done alone. Bizarre logic, I know.
(Still do not understand why the fighter pilot has to die. Although I suppose grinding them back to Elite is more busy work to keep people 'engaged'.).

4, not sure the insurance cost.
1 - NPC FAS early on in a CZ. I got tunnel vision on hitting him and damage and didn't notice he was winning that game.
1 - Player, not sure if they pinned me down, or I got hung up trying to boost off the outpost.
2 - Player, before I figured out that I should throttle down and submit rather than fight interdiction all the way through, tumbling around just taking hits sucked.

I'm sure there will be more. Been playing about 3 months now.

Let's see.

Fed Vette: 1 (Went face tanking with a heavily armored T10 AI. I was not armored. This was a bad idea, in retrospect)
Imp Cutter: 3 (Two ganks, one unfortunate idea that the Cutter was "cut" out for smuggling, this was keystone kops in the mail slot as I recall)
Anaconda: 1 (VR misadventure resulting in death by AI)
Python: 1 (Pancaked into a high G planet)
Type 6: 1 (Boosted into station wall)
Viper: 1 (PVP)
Sidewinder: lots (PVP and Quince, mostly)

Yeah, I had a similar experience, OP. I kitted my Corvette with Prismatics and tons of boosters, figuring they would never go down. Turns out the recharge of biweaves makes them much more viable in sustained combat. My biweaves never HAVE gone down since I installed them on my Corvette.

I've died a lot, there is no real incentive to avoid it unless you have an NPC crew member that you trained up yourself. Time and enjoyment are more important than credits. I once blew up a Clipper because I didn't want to spend 20 hours jumping back to where I came from. Had the super expensive 7A fuel scoop on it too. I abandoned the ship entirely so I could have the free Sidey back in the Bubble.

I have 45 Insurance Claims for a grand total of 81,600,852 cr
Been playing since January this year. (4W 3D 22H 32M)
Most deaths have been combat related...

Main: 1100 hours, 55 claims, 120MCr
Alt: 250 hours, 6 claims, 5,5MCr

Most memorable claim: Losing several dozen hours of scanning data to a neutron star.

Last edited:
Loads of times with rebuys well into the hundreds of millions.

Every time a ship is blown up, there's something to be learned. Especially the time I was drinking and scooping fron a white dwarf in my Cutter. Those exclusion zones really sneak up on you when you've had a few.

Received the game Christmas '16

Time Played: 25 W
Claims: 19
Costs: 66 M

All were early in the game. I can't remember the last time I lost a ship.

Top Bottom