Guide / Tutorial How to fill all of your Raw Materials bins using Crystalline Shards.

FDev have already warned that planetary surfaces will change, whether you buy Odyssey or not.
Could unintentionally break Crystalline Shard sites.
And then they would get fixed...
Well, it's FDev isn't it.
Could be another Borann situation. Didn't they find a new Borann before the end of the fleet carrier beta last time? Mats may not get people quite so excited as credits though.
Well I was after a trip out of the bubble. I'll get the XplOrca fired up.

Could be another Borann situation. Didn't they find a new Borann before the end of the fleet carrier beta last time? Mats may not get people quite so excited as credits though.
Well I was after a trip out of the bubble. I'll get the XplOrca fired up.
Well Odyssey won't affect the real game galaxy until the launch in probably May so there is some time.

So, bit last minute before odysee, but bring a flashette launcher before you go to these sites to speed things up.

Bit wastefull, but fire a shell or 2~3 into the zone right as your landing, can drive around and fill half your supply really fast by driving around picking up whats fallen. Zones are so big and rich there's still enough to top off your hold (saves time as they fall while your deploying cuz 0.03g makes this a nightmare 1 at a time)

Depending on altatude they seem to glitch out, some will be stuck in the air and the rest appear on the ground at 14% health left, but its still way faster to start off this way. Might be able to do this even better with a friend launching flack while your on the ground already. (havent treid with mines or rocket launchers, was using twin flashette launchers personally)

So, bit last minute before odysee, but bring a flashette launcher before you go to these sites to speed things up.

Interesting with the flechettes
But we will still have the Horizon client and access to Horizons worlds at least until autumn when Odyssey will launch on Consoles and Horizon client will get dropped.

So no hurry anymore - Crystalline Shards will not end on May 19th

Interesting with the flechettes
But we will still have the Horizon client and access to Horizons worlds at least until autumn when Odyssey will launch on Consoles and Horizon client will get dropped.

So no hurry anymore - Crystalline Shards will not end on May 19th
What do you mean the Horizon client will get dropped? If I can't afford to buy odyssey will that mean I am SOOL and no longer able to play Elite?

What do you mean the Horizon client will get dropped? If I can't afford to buy odyssey will that mean I am SOOL and no longer able to play Elite?

No-no.
IN autumn, they will drop the Horizons only client.
Everyone will get the new updated client and as a result will get the new planetary tech

You will not get the Odyssey features if you dont pay for them.
But you will enjoy in the new planetary tech, lightning (and the crappier UI for stations, galmap, sysmap) while still playing Horizons

Has anyone checked to see if this is still viable with Odyssey, meaning HIP 36601? Afraid to launch the client for Odyssey as I just was getting into this method.

Edit: updated to reflect current state

So I’ve traveled to HIP 36601 and currently there are two issues (at least for me):

Playing in Odyssey mode (HF2):
  • Using the DSS the planetary scan shows only a couple of signals (3 humanoid, 2 geological and 1 biological) compared to multiple signals per type in Horizons before
  • The nav panel only lets you select the artificial structures, biological or geological sites are not available as target selection
  • The whole planet surface is colored in different shades of blue (seems to be a heat-map) until dropping out of glide
  • Crystalline shards are present
    • they seem to have changed towards biological genetic sampling targets
      Just left HIP 36601 in Odyssey having successfully landed at one of the Crystal Shard sites as shown by the blue colour after mapping.
      While flying my ship I spotted several clusters of shards scattered in the area no game slowingly dense concentrations now.
      Driving around revealed no targetable branches but getting out on foot I was able to collect all 3 parts of a bio sample from the shards in a pleasingly small area.
    • ensure you have an Artemis suit equipped, 3 different type scans needed for complete specimen
Playing in Horizons mode (Odyssey Compatibility Update HF 1):
  • Everything is working as reported before (plenty of signal sites per type, showing up on the nav panel)
  • Codex scanning works
seems to be working again BUT
  • You land a at biological or geological signal site, deploy the SRV, target a shard and shoot at it and then: nothing happens. No fragments come off
  • Tried multiple sites, multiple planets, even re-logging on the planet, in space etc.
I really am no expert but it looks like along with the update to Odyssey broke they altered the planetary mining somehow. Not sure if that’s by intention in Odyssey mode but surely Horizons mode got affected as well.

Both issues were already reported.

Last edited:
Odyssey breaks the "forests" - individual spires are widely scattered. There are no actual POI as in Horizons, just that heat-map overlay showing general prevalence of stuff.

Horizons was still working OK for me last night at outotz.

Odyssey breaks the "forests" - individual spires are widely scattered. There are no actual POI as in Horizons, just that heat-map overlay showing general prevalence of stuff.

Horizons was still working OK for me last night at outotz.
For Odyssey:
I can see the intention. Still that "heat-map" does not make any sense the way it is as no matter which type of signal you filter for in DSS the same areas are covered in that blue shade.

Just left HIP 36601 in Odyssey having successfully landed at one of the Crystal Shard sites as shown by the blue colour after mapping.
While flying my ship I spotted several clusters of shards scattered in the area no game slowingly dense concentrations now.
Driving around revealed no targetable branches but getting out on foot I was able to collect all 3 parts of a bio sample from the shards in a pleasingly small area.

So, if I understand well, we have to lauch in Horizon mode to use the shard farming technique?

Is there no consequences to switch from one version of the game to another (keybinds, character customisation, etc)?

So, if I understand well, we have to lauch in Horizon mode to use the shard farming technique?

Is there no consequences to switch from one version of the game to another (keybinds, character customisation, etc)?

Keybinds are entirely separate but I think there is some implication regarding the Holo-Me when going from Oddy to Horizons - not played Oddy since the Alpha so not sure.

Forgive me, I have been around since october 2014 and I am just now getting to looking into farming materials in all areas.... well not exactly true. I almost filled my raw materials up by farming on planets one node at a time. But really what I am looking for is this:

1) The FASTEST (not debateable) way to farm Raw material. Means I want locations, and an exact list of things I need to fit to my ship and bring with me in order to pull this off.
2) The FASTEST (not debateable) way to farm Manufactured goods that I need (the ones that don't require cargo holds) AND means I want locations and an exact list of things I need to fit to my ship and bring with me in order to pull this off.
3) The FASTEST (not debateable) way to farm signal sources means I want locations and an exact list of things I need to fit to my ship and bring with me in order to pull this off.

Sorry for the harsh words, however there are so many people fighting out there about what is the fastest way to do any of these three things yet no one produces proof. It's all just lip service. Here is an example. https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/dmphpy Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/dmphpy/davs_hope_vs_beluga_whale_farming/

In the link above it is explained that the OP believes that using beluga liners is faster than dav's hope. Yet after reading his explanation and the entire thread. I have to admit his claim is bogus. The reason for that is this. I can at 20% drive around the entire Dav's Hope compound in about 3 to 4 minutes and get all 10 items dropped on the ground. Then log out and log in in another 30 seconds and start again. Sitting in the system the above reddit discusses attacking one ship takes about 2 minutes of attack time to destroy. Then it takes another 3 to 5 minutes of limpet collection to get the items. And the ships only drop 10 to 15 items on average. Further more the guy says that he could get up and go get a beer from the fridge and etc etc, that doesn't sound fast at all. I am talking about sitting at the computer grinding non stop until it's finished. What is the actual fastest method of farming all of these things in each category. Each of the three is going to have a different way to do it. Dav's Hope takes 3-4 minutes each time, the other method takes about 8 minutes and IS NOT by FACT faster. Even if you supped up your ship and used the ship with the greatest amount of possible dps and 1 shot the baluga. You still have to wait for it to blow up, and then you still have to wait 5 minutes to collect all the items and the more items the more time it takes. And if you're really good with the SRV at Dav's Hope and set your speed to 30% you can do it in 1:30 to 2:30 minutes.

So does anyone have a consenus of the fastest way to possibly find these materials in all three areas?

Forgive me, I have been around since october 2014 and I am just now getting to looking into farming materials in all areas.... well not exactly true. I almost filled my raw materials up by farming on planets one node at a time. But really what I am looking for is this:

1) The FASTEST (not debateable) way to farm Raw material. Means I want locations, and an exact list of things I need to fit to my ship and bring with me in order to pull this off.
2) The FASTEST (not debateable) way to farm Manufactured goods that I need (the ones that don't require cargo holds) AND means I want locations and an exact list of things I need to fit to my ship and bring with me in order to pull this off.
3) The FASTEST (not debateable) way to farm signal sources means I want locations and an exact list of things I need to fit to my ship and bring with me in order to pull this off.

Sorry for the harsh words, however there are so many people fighting out there about what is the fastest way to do any of these three things yet no one produces proof. It's all just lip service. Here is an example. https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/dmphpy Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/dmphpy/davs_hope_vs_beluga_whale_farming/

In the link above it is explained that the OP believes that using beluga liners is faster than dav's hope. Yet after reading his explanation and the entire thread. I have to admit his claim is bogus. The reason for that is this. I can at 20% drive around the entire Dav's Hope compound in about 3 to 4 minutes and get all 10 items dropped on the ground. Then log out and log in in another 30 seconds and start again. Sitting in the system the above reddit discusses attacking one ship takes about 2 minutes of attack time to destroy. Then it takes another 3 to 5 minutes of limpet collection to get the items. And the ships only drop 10 to 15 items on average. Further more the guy says that he could get up and go get a beer from the fridge and etc etc, that doesn't sound fast at all. I am talking about sitting at the computer grinding non stop until it's finished. What is the actual fastest method of farming all of these things in each category. Each of the three is going to have a different way to do it. Dav's Hope takes 3-4 minutes each time, the other method takes about 8 minutes and IS NOT by FACT faster. Even if you supped up your ship and used the ship with the greatest amount of possible dps and 1 shot the baluga. You still have to wait for it to blow up, and then you still have to wait 5 minutes to collect all the items and the more items the more time it takes. And if you're really good with the SRV at Dav's Hope and set your speed to 30% you can do it in 1:30 to 2:30 minutes.

So does anyone have a consenus of the fastest way to possibly find these materials in all three areas?
HGE farming is still fastest. IMHO.

HGE farming is still fastest. IMHO.
What is HGE? And what do you mean by fastest, if this means flying around a system looking for a signal to disengage into. Then I would disagree. It might be fast for the encounter, however you are spending huge amounts of time to finding the signal source.

please I am not trying to be rude here, however there is no need to put "honest" into your opinion.

What is HGE? And what do you mean by fastest, if this means flying around a system looking for a signal to disengage into. Then I would disagree. It might be fast for the encounter, however you are spending huge amounts of time to finding the signal source.

please I am not trying to be rude here, however there is no need to put "honest" into your opinion.

1. HGE farming by using an exploit is an exploit. ;) If you go to an Imp system there are usually enough High Grade Emissions signal sources for you to fill up with Imp Shielding without using an exploit; although sometimes I have to jump from system to system to fill up. Far more satisfying than using an exploit.

2. This Guide thread is meant as a guide for using the Crystalline Shard forests to fill up with G4 raw materials, your thread in the Eng sub-forum is prolly better for discussions.

3. That of course is just IMHO - (it means In My HUMBLE Opinion - not honest).

1. HGE farming by using an exploit is an exploit. ;) If you go to an Imp system there are usually enough High Grade Emissions signal sources for you to fill up with Imp Shielding without using an exploit; although sometimes I have to jump from system to system to fill up. Far more satisfying than using an exploit.

2. This Guide thread is meant as a guide for using the Crystalline Shard forests to fill up with G4 raw materials, your thread in the Eng sub-forum is prolly better for discussions.

3. That of course is just IMHO - (it means In My HUMBLE Opinion - not honest).
I have always heard people use the H as honest.

Top Bottom