How to get the DK2 working

Try restarting the drivers using the occulus tool. Make sure the service is running. Graphics options running in occulus mode (not side by side). Try another USB port ?

Restart computer ?

Can't think of anything else..sorry. Hope you get it sorted.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Do those demos work in direct and extended ?
I haven't used anything but extended. The only demo I have had problems with until now is the pixel rift demo. But I think that is because I have the Oculus as my third display.
I haven't seen any graphics options mentioning the Oculus except the side by side 3d mode option. I will look into this immediately.
Will post when I have solved my issues, for science.

I haven't used anything but extended. The only demo I have had problems with until now is the pixel rift demo. But I think that is because I have the Oculus as my third display.
I haven't seen any graphics options mentioning the Oculus except the side by side 3d mode option. I will look into this immediately.
Will post when I have solved my issues, for science.

There is an oculus mode in the 3d setup options in graphics.

There is an oculus mode in the 3d setup options in graphics.
I just found it, I could swear I did not see this while playing earlier today..
It works perfectly now. Maybe it could be worth noting that I restarted the servive with the Oculus configuration utlity.
Thanks for all the help!

Can't get the DK2 to work: extended desktop, set to 75Hz, secondary. No matter what I try, the Elite client will show a window on the primary monitor, and nothing on the Rift's extended desktop. I've reinstalled the Oculus runtime, E:D and the Launcher.

Giving up for now, guess I'll just hang on for direct mode to work properly.

Ok, so after some playing around and updating to 0.4.4 runtime, I got the DK2 to work in ED.

But as I am quite new to DK2, I am still experiencing some issues:

1. I find when I move my head it gets very juddery and seems like the image starts separating, which becomes a bit nauseating after a while.

2. I find that the text in the UI is barely readable for me, it seems like "too pixelly" and also like the pixels are sort of separated (like the text is a bit red above and a bit blue below), I dunno if what I am saying makes sense, but in order for me to be able to read any text I have to lean in quite a bit. I suppose this might be some calibration issue or so, though the demo app for the DK2 seems to work well (and only minor "pixel separation"). Also I have no idea if that might have anything to do with me being a bit short-sighted, and not wearing my glasses when using the DK2 (just too uncomfortable with glasses). I find that the "sweet spot" of things being in focus is really quite narrow, but I do get it focussed generally.

Sorry if those questions sound very noob-ish, but I am a newbie, and would really appreciate any input on how to solve those issues.

thanks!

Unfortunately you will not really overcome these issues.
Issue #1 comes from performance. If you do not absolutely have a solid 75FPS out of the game, this is what happens. Unfortunately ED is really performance heavy and very hard to lock at 75FPS. Ironically it was better during beta, but now in final release it is really bad. In general I am good, but there are moments where things fall apart. Not to mention the really bad hitching that happens in hyperspace/frameshift.

Issue #2 is quite simply due to the low resolution of the DK2. It is lightyears ahead of the DK1, but still only 960x1080 per eye. What you are seeing is the well known screen door effect.

Can't get the DK2 to work: extended desktop, set to 75Hz, secondary. No matter what I try, the Elite client will show a window on the primary monitor, and nothing on the Rift's extended desktop. I've reinstalled the Oculus runtime, E:D and the Launcher.

I have 2 monitors and have had trouble getting extended mode DK2 games/demos to work. One solution I found for ED which may or may not be in this thread somewhere was to keep the runtime running in extended mode, check that the Rift is showing as a new display in the Windows Screen Resolution settings page, launch ED and then go into the graphics settings, there you can select to use the rift option and *most importantly* change which display you output to. I simply selected display 3 (which i had confirmed as the Rift) and it suddenly all worked for me. I'm not sure that option was there when I played an earlier version...

If ED is coming up as a window in your monitor (which it did for me) you should still be able to move the Rift to somewhere where you can read the text and go through the menu as above.

Last edited:

Sorry if this has already been mention as I've not been back to read what you have tried.

The Way I get it to work is, set the DK2 as secondary display, rotated 90dg and 75hz. Set the DK2 software to Extended mode. I can then see my desktop "sort of" in the rift but it's all distorted. This is normal.

Then launch Elite D. Goto options and Graphics and set it to Oculus rift, and set the display to Secondary (this is the Elite Dangerous setting, not back in windows).

no oculus under 3d settings

Im not sure if im missing something here or if there is a glitch.

I've been playing single player combat trianing with dk2 without any issues, simply select oculus under graphics setting and all is good.

After downloading full version of the game and attempting to play it i cannot see oculus under settings anymore, there is only 2 options under 3d settings, side by side and anaglyph. ( combat trianing still has option to select oculus and works ok)

Anyone else with this same issue?

Im not sure if im missing something here or if there is a glitch.

I've been playing single player combat trianing with dk2 without any issues, simply select oculus under graphics setting and all is good.

After downloading full version of the game and attempting to play it i cannot see oculus under settings anymore, there is only 2 options under 3d settings, side by side and anaglyph. ( combat trianing still has option to select oculus and works ok)

Anyone else with this same issue?

no it's been fine for me. Sounds like the game isn't detecting your Dk2 tho. I'd suggest restarting the Oculus service or a reboot if you've not already tried that?

no it's been fine for me. Sounds like the game isn't detecting your Dk2 tho. I'd suggest restarting the Oculus service or a reboot if you've not already tried that?

Ahhhh got it working, downloaded sdk 0.4.4 and it detected it right away.

Guess if anyone else cannot see oculus under 3d settings try downloading latest sdk.

Still waiting on my DK2. I have an original DK so will have to see whether it's playable in the low res, I imagine it will be, but menus are gonna be a nightmare..

Unfortunately you will not really overcome these issues.
Issue #1 comes from performance. If you do not absolutely have a solid 75FPS out of the game, this is what happens. Unfortunately ED is really performance heavy and very hard to lock at 75FPS. Ironically it was better during beta, but now in final release it is really bad. In general I am good, but there are moments where things fall apart. Not to mention the really bad hitching that happens in hyperspace/frameshift.

Issue #2 is quite simply due to the low resolution of the DK2. It is lightyears ahead of the DK1, but still only 960x1080 per eye. What you are seeing is the well known screen door effect.

Thanks for your reply, yes indeed, I can't wait for a newer version with higher resolution, and yes seems ED is very performance heavy, I got an i7-3770, and 16 GB on RAM on Win 8 (64bit) and a GTX 750...

for #1 I just decided to reward myself with a new gaming PC :D Thinking of some SLI setup, have to look more into it...

for #2 I experimented last night, and
a) enabled super sampling
b) changed the HUD color to green
and the visual quality improved _significantly_, though very juddery (another reason for a better PC), but as I am not sensitive to motion sickness anyway I played it for an hour or so, and wow, that was really much better than before, esp when you are able to read things without having to lean in (like a short-sighted pilot who forgot his glasses at home). I had to turn down a few graphics settings, and in stations it was still very bad, but I went out for USS hunting and that was better (far from good fps though)

Thanks for your reply, yes indeed, I can't wait for a newer version with higher resolution, and yes seems ED is very performance heavy, I got an i7-3770, and 16 GB on RAM on Win 8 (64bit) and a GTX 750...

for #1 I just decided to reward myself with a new gaming PC :D Thinking of some SLI setup, have to look more into it...

for #2 I experimented last night, and
a) enabled super sampling
b) changed the HUD color to green
and the visual quality improved _significantly_, though very juddery (another reason for a better PC), but as I am not sensitive to motion sickness anyway I played it for an hour or so, and wow, that was really much better than before, esp when you are able to read things without having to lean in (like a short-sighted pilot who forgot his glasses at home). I had to turn down a few graphics settings, and in stations it was still very bad, but I went out for USS hunting and that was better (far from good fps though)

You really just need a new graphics card the 750 isn't amazing and will be holding the rest of your beefy rig back. Is the 3770 the K version? If so a small and easily achievable overclock and a better card will be all you need for a long time

SLi / Crossfire is seriously overrated unless you're playing on 1440p screens or higher, or triple monitor setups. A single nVidia GTX970 or Radeon 290 or better is going to play absolutely any game at max @1080p Elite included.

You'd be best waiting till mid/end Jan as there is a new swathe of video cards being released and there'll be a better idea of price/performance cards to select to improve your system, or grab a bargin on the current-gen. I'd be happy to help when you're thinking of making a decision.

You really just need a new graphics card the 750 isn't amazing and will be holding the rest of your beefy rig back. Is the 3770 the K version? If so a small and easily achievable overclock and a better card will be all you need for a long time

SLi / Crossfire is seriously overrated unless you're playing on 1440p screens or higher, or triple monitor setups. A single nVidia GTX970 or Radeon 290 or better is going to play absolutely any game at max @1080p Elite included.

You'd be best waiting till mid/end Jan as there is a new swathe of video cards being released and there'll be a better idea of price/performance cards to select to improve your system, or grab a bargin on the current-gen. I'd be happy to help when you're thinking of making a decision.

Thanks for your feedback, and it's not the K version of the CPU afaik, at least it doesn't seem to be possible to overclock it.

I actually have two PCs, my other PC (which is my main work PC) might be a bit better, but for some reason it seems unstable in games, I have no idea why. Maybe because I had originally Win 7, then upgraded to Win 8 then to Win 8.1, and so the OS has a long history and probably a lot of junk collected over time. I think maybe just buying a new hard drive (ideally SSD) and freshly installing Windows on it from scratch might maybe help. [the problem was that it would randomly crash in games, or even lock up the PC, or sort of get (and I don't know how to explain that well) frequent lockups, everything (whole OS) would stop for a moment (maybe ~ 1 sec) then work for a few sec, then stop again etc, making it totally unusable and forcing me to reboot. No driver or OS updates ever seemed to help]

Anyway, this other PC has an Intel i7 4770, and also 16 GB RAM, on a G1.Sniper motherboard (I think it was a B5), with a GTX 760 card, so I think all in all not a bad base platform.

On the above mentioned PC I can't remember what motherboard it was, but I don't think it was anything particularly great so that might be bottleneck too (?)

So I have those two PCs, and two screens (1080p) for them, and depending on what I do I might plug both monitors into the same PC. And yes am willing to wait for the new graphics cards (I hope haha), and would appreciate input on helping me find the right thing for me (thanks a lot for the offer!)

Oh on another note, last night when I tried the DK2 I also disabled the main monitor while playing ED, as someone in another thread mentioned that it helped his performance, though I suppose with the supersampling from 1440p my specs are just not good enough at the moment.

Thanks for your feedback, and it's not the K version of the CPU afaik, at least it doesn't seem to be possible to overclock it.

I actually have two PCs, my other PC (which is my main work PC) might be a bit better, but for some reason it seems unstable in games, I have no idea why. Maybe because I had originally Win 7, then upgraded to Win 8 then to Win 8.1, and so the OS has a long history and probably a lot of junk collected over time. I think maybe just buying a new hard drive (ideally SSD) and freshly installing Windows on it from scratch might maybe help. [the problem was that it would randomly crash in games, or even lock up the PC, or sort of get (and I don't know how to explain that well) frequent lockups, everything (whole OS) would stop for a moment (maybe ~ 1 sec) then work for a few sec, then stop again etc, making it totally unusable and forcing me to reboot. No driver or OS updates ever seemed to help]

Anyway, this other PC has an Intel i7 4770, and also 16 GB RAM, on a G1.Sniper motherboard (I think it was a B5), with a GTX 760 card, so I think all in all not a bad base platform.

On the above mentioned PC I can't remember what motherboard it was, but I don't think it was anything particularly great so that might be bottleneck too (?)

So I have those two PCs, and two screens (1080p) for them, and depending on what I do I might plug both monitors into the same PC. And yes am willing to wait for the new graphics cards (I hope haha), and would appreciate input on helping me find the right thing for me (thanks a lot for the offer!)

Oh on another note, last night when I tried the DK2 I also disabled the main monitor while playing ED, as someone in another thread mentioned that it helped his performance, though I suppose with the supersampling from 1440p my specs are just not good enough at the moment.

The other rig sounds good as well, certainly as a base. If the board's capable of taking a 4770 then it's highly doubtful the motherboard is a performance bottleneck (as you're not overclocking) as differences between platform performance between the lower and higher-end chipsets really is negligible, it's the feature set that changes most.

I would stick with disabling supersampling in order to achieve higher framerates personally. You're rendering 1.78x times the pixels (compared to 1080p) and whilst it does provide some nice smoothing it can effect your frame rate a lot. Have you got a benchmark of your frame rates @native res compared to 1440p?

The stuttering you're describing could be a number of things - next time you see the stuttering occur, exit and check your Windows System and Application log to see if any events have been recorded, should give you an idea of the fault. Also worth seeing if you can force the error using a benchmarking program like Furmark or something similar, again I'm happy to help with your t/s if required :)

Ok I couldn't resist... just went to quickly buy a GTX 970... to try on the i3770 PC.. just wanna see the difference... hope my PSU got enough power for that, otherwise might get a new one tmw along with a new motherboard (any recommendations?)

And then later will upgrade to the next generation on my main PC and do a complete reinstall of Windows in 2 months or so...

Also as my old card was Geforce too, is it recommended to uninstall anything or should it be just fine taking it out and putting the other one in?

thanks

Last edited:
Ok I couldn't resist... just went to quickly by a GTX 970... to try on the i3770 PC.. just wanna see the difference... hope my PSU got enough power for that, otherwise might get a new one tmw along with a new motherboard (any recommendations?)

And then later will upgrade to the next generation on my main PC and do a complete reinstall of Windows in 2 months or so...

The GTX970 is surprisingly low on power consumption for the performance it gives, the Maxwell core is very efficient.

What PSU do you have? You'll need 2x 6-Pin PCI-E power connectors to run it, and any decent PSU over 550W should be enough to run it without issue.

What sort of features do you want on your new motherboard? I'm thinking if you don't need extra RAID support or SLi etc, a clean re-install and fresh drivers is probably the way to go first :)

Edit (Seen your update): You should completely uninstall your existing GeForce Drivers and install the latest drivers.

Last edited:
Did we ever get any info if Frontier was developing a working direct to rift mode?
We all know the direct mode is locked to 60hz at the moment, so low persistance is out of the question.

Back
Top Bottom