How to install ED on Linux using Wine [EXPERIMENTAL, NOT OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED]

I don't get why to use "based on Arch" if you can directly use Arch (that what I do).
As said above, for time-saving and convenience because they already did the legwork to make it fit for deployment, or customize for specific applications. You can still tweak it, of course, but at first it's a turn-key solution.

I really like Arch, too, though will probably stick with the previous idea because of the developer's attention to hardware integration which is highly relevant for gaming but not many distros care about. I had pop_os once before and wasn't immediately in love with its looks, but it worked where others failed with something I wanted to try and this is what counts. Certainly development has come a long way since then, but I lost interest in chasing all these details. Here is a comparison on Slant:

As said above, for time-saving and convenience because they already did the legwork to make it fit for deployment, or customize for specific applications. You can still tweak it, of course, but at first it's a turn-key solution.
You remind me my friend :) He was changing mac (i.e. he had laptop)/different linuxes/windows like 2 times per year during last 10 years. And each time he said "convinient, fast, etc..." :D
While I still use Arch. Just googling what to fix if something going wrong.

Last edited:
You remind me my friend :) He was changing mac (i.e. he had laptop)/different linuxes/windows like 2 times per year during last 10 years. And each time he said "convinient, fast, etc..." :D
While I still use Arch. Just googling what to fix is something going wrong.
Haha, okay I don't know everybody's prehistory :D I still keep a laptop with Arch, not even launching into X most of the time. Command line ftw!

But I think it's a good thing that there are more and more workable offers for users who don't want to dive so deep but get away from Windows somehow. And those are likely to find the tail end of threads like this and they do ask such questions. It's a "one size fits most" kind of answer.

I mostly play Elite under Linux (Steam beta, proton experimental, nvidia proprietary drivers)
Installation is exactly as in Windows, protontricks installed using flatpak to get right joystick behaviour (Gladiator NXT, following these instructions, only one time if you always plug it in the same place), and that's all.
The most "complicated" thing to do is to modify "Windows" registry with protontricks :)

I came across this post on Mastodon and it seems relevant to this thread. Maybe something for the developers to think about.

"Fascinating both for what it says about dev & what it says about statistics:

A gamedev realized Linux users were just 5.8% of their sales, but represented 38% of bug reports.

Then they looked at those numbers closer, and realized. Linux users were not experiencing more bugs. Almost none of the Linux-user bugs were Linux-related. Linux users were simply more likely to file bugs.

Their conclusion: A linux port pays for itself bc it nerdsnipes ppl into giving u free QA"

Cheers,
Mark

True, though there's a question of scale - that game had 12,000 sales, whereas ED had ~1.5 million sales at the same age.
For that dev - and most independent developers operating at a similar scale - getting the extra bug reports was really useful.
For ED, Frontier already take substantial steps to discourage and auto-reject bug reports, to keep the volume down to a level they have a reasonable chance of processing.

I just found that disabling AA in game and using vkBasalt to do "smaa:cas" makes better picture then I got used to.
Side effect, each plant is colored individually ( I used smaaEdgeDetection = color, in original the whole ground would be colored between plants):
side_effect.jpg

Last edited:
I am a bit of a Linux noob here. I have successfully installed Elite on my linux Mint system and the game runs fine, however i have been looking where the controller file is so i can copy across my old settings for my X56 controller from when i had the game on Windows. For the life of me i cannot find where the file is located, Does anyone know where it is located. I installed the game from steam using Proton experimental. Any help would be gratefully received

I am a bit of a Linux noob here. I have successfully installed Elite on my linux Mint system and the game runs fine, however i have been looking where the controller file is so i can copy across my old settings for my X56 controller from when i had the game on Windows. For the life of me i cannot find where the file is located, Does anyone know where it is located. I installed the game from steam using Proton experimental. Any help would be gratefully received
here is what I have here as Elite has 359320 as AppId (note I tuned my system to not use "custom".binds :) )
1702320757737.png

Edit : Oups don't mind file size, it's a link to my Windows bindings (shared)

Last edited:
your steam will have install locations set by you for your libraries. the one elite is chosen for will have a directory called compatdata, and then the path will follow the above comments.

your file will be Custom.4.binds.

the usb device identified may or may not be the same.

before copying over, set a ship movement or two to a bind on your x52 and save. this will create a custom bind file. open it and find the setting you made, if ship rotation and such it should be near the top. compare the device attribute in the windows file to this new one. if they match then great, drop the windows one in. if they don't then do a replace all to fix the windows one and drop it in the folder, replacing the new one you created..

here is what I have here as Elite has 359320 as AppId (note I tuned my system to not use "custom".binds :) )
View attachment 377711

Edit : Oups don't mind file size, it's a link to my Windows bindings (shared)

your steam will have install locations set by you for your libraries. the one elite is chosen for will have a directory called compatdata, and then the path will follow the above comments.

your file will be Custom.4.binds.

the usb device identified may or may not be the same.

before copying over, set a ship movement or two to a bind on your x52 and save. this will create a custom bind file. open it and find the setting you made, if ship rotation and such it should be near the top. compare the device attribute in the windows file to this new one. if they match then great, drop the windows one in. if they don't then do a replace all to fix the windows one and drop it in the folder, replacing the new one you created..
Thanks, thanks to the above i now have this working. :)

Top Bottom