PvP How????

@OP: I guess this cutter (Note: there can be done some more engineering, and for mines you may need test first if put mines into all these medium hardpoints will be safe. Thrusters have clean mod, personal preference for trading builds.) can work quite well, with some situational awareness, in open with 6A shield. Considering cargo and speed which this build have ... poor Anaconda have no chance to keep walk (with similar defences). Using stock trader (any) in public areas like CG is suicidal.

Last edited:
Ok so after going through OP's log its clear what happend, I will outline below.

So to begin you are in a Cutter with a few boosters and stock armour, this puts your shields around 700 MJ with an Armour value of 720, I also see from the log these shields are stock.

Timeline of events:

@ 16:24:58 - you are interdicted and submit (This is the correct thing to do unless you feel you can win the interdiction)
@ 16:25:00 - +2 sec, You drop from SC and are now in normal space, FSD cooldown begins now.
@ 16:25:09 - +9 sec, Combat begins, combat music is started. (you are already 9 sec into this! your cooldown is 1sec!)
@
16:25:25 - +16 sec, Your shields are now down. (A FSD charge was not started! if you had you would be out by now... this is why you where killed)
@
16:25:26 - +1 sec, Your hull is now at 80%!
@ 16:25:26 - +0 sec, Your hull is now at 60%!
@ 16:25:29 - +3 sec, The attacker was reloading in the time leading up to this even, Hull is now at 25%! (Hull integrity critical warning!)
@
16:25:29 - +0 sec, Hull integrity is now 0% (you are dead!)

You did not even attempt to charge your FSD.

You where killed by an Imperial Clipper

Its clear the attacker was using Fragment cannons due to their reload time as shown in the log, it would seem they where using Double Shot Screening shells, this Clipper build allows for a DPS output of over 1200 with a basic build and ability to pilot, an advance player though this clearly wasn't can destroy your ship in less then 5 sec.

The CMDR that attacked you is well known to for their targeting of easy targets and unfortunate for bounty hunters... pulling the plug when things don't go their way.

How????
How is this thread still going. The answer is simple: The guy took a butter knife to a gun fight and then proved to be totally incompetent at handling any potential the hobbled ship had.

This has been a very informative thread, I have learnt that if you play in Open, you have to design your ship for combat (and defence) above everything else. So ditch those high class cargo rack, dump those luxury first class cabins and fill your hold with the highest shield gen, and as many shield banks, hull and module reinforcement packages as you can - you might just survive if you immediately assume every other commander is hell bent on killing you. Oh and engineer the crap out of everything!

Pity the game has evolved so now everyone has to modify their playing style to counter the 1% player base.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: EUS
Ok so after going through OP's log its clear what happend, I will outline below.

So to begin you are in a Cutter with a few boosters and stock armour, this puts your shields around 700 MJ with an Armour value of 720, I also see from the log these shields are stock.

Timeline of events:

@ 16:24:58 - you are interdicted and submit (This is the correct thing to do unless you feel you can win the interdiction)
@ 16:25:00 - +2 sec, You drop from SC and are now in normal space, FSD cooldown begins now.
@ 16:25:09 - +9 sec, Combat begins, combat music is started. (you are already 9 sec into this! your cooldown is 1sec!)
@
16:25:25 - +16 sec, Your shields are now down. (A FSD charge was not started! if you had you would be out by now... this is why you where killed)
@
16:25:26 - +1 sec, Your hull is now at 80%!
@ 16:25:26 - +0 sec, Your hull is now at 60%!
@ 16:25:29 - +3 sec, The attacker was reloading in the time leading up to this even, Hull is now at 25%! (Hull integrity critical warning!)
@
16:25:29 - +0 sec, Hull integrity is now 0% (you are dead!)

You did not even attempt to charge your FSD.

You where killed by an Imperial Clipper

Its clear the attacker was using Fragment cannons due to their reload time as shown in the log, it would seem they where using Double Shot Screening shells, this Clipper build allows for a DPS output of over 1200 with a basic build and ability to pilot, an advance player though this clearly wasn't can destroy your ship in less then 5 sec.

The CMDR that attacked you is well known to for their targeting of easy targets and unfortunate for bounty hunters... pulling the plug when things don't go their way.

What are double shot screening shells? They sound interesting.

This has been a very informative thread, I have learnt that if you play in Open, you have to design your ship for combat (and defence) above everything else. So ditch those high class cargo rack, dump those luxury first class cabins and fill your hold with the highest shield gen, and as many shield banks, hull and module reinforcement packages as you can - you might just survive if you immediately assume every other commander is hell bent on killing you. Oh and engineer the crap out of everything!

Pity the game has evolved so now everyone has to modify their playing style to counter the 1% player base.
Sort of: I have never used a shield cell bank as defence in open. I have them fitted quite often, but I am just running in a blind panic, that i forget they are there. Good shields and lots of speed and one more very important thing. A plan ready to go; such as a Hi-wake system already targeted.

Sort of: I have never used a shield cell bank as defence in open. I have them fitted quite often, but I am just running in a blind panic, that i forget they are there. Good shields and lots of speed and one more very important thing. A plan ready to go; such as a Hi-wake system already targeted.

Kind of sad really, I feel for the Commander who wants to do the right thing and play in Open, but also wants to do his maximum trade or passenger runs - he basically can't so he ends up in either Solo or PG.

Please take into consideration that the need for heavy(heavier) defences is really needed ONLY in busy public places and this only in OPEN mode. In rest of systems (99,9999999%, talking about habitated areas) you are perfectly safe with only basic shield and average flying skills (with some experience ofc). In busy public places (CGs are prime example) you need to be prepared for troubles. Experience and preparations is needed there (Open mode). Btw engineer your ships for decent defence not needs any extra amount of time.

Last edited:

I can haul 350 tons with my CG Anaconda that was only taken out once, when my FSD was disrupted (and at the time I knew little about it, or how to avoid it). I was cocky in that situation too.
As Harry's analysis shows, the OP had the chance to wake out even with his compromised build.

Edit: I was also hauling passengers around Maia with my Beluga full of cabins, when there was a CG. I was attacked twice - once I made it (though all passengers bailed as my hull got damaged :) ), once I was taken out. In between I earned much more credits than the rebuy cost.

Last edited:
Frags are not a good idea for a Cutter. The Cutter is too slow. Frags are like a shotgun. They work best when your fast enough to get right in their face.

Last edited:
Kind of sad really, I feel for the Commander who wants to do the right thing and play in Open, but also wants to do his maximum trade or passenger runs - he basically can't so he ends up in either Solo or PG.
Greed will always get you killed. I do CGs in my Clipper, with over 100 tons of cargo and 7C Bi-weave shields, I have never been killed in an open CG yet. I just try to be ready for everything, especially the halo-triangles.

This is an over reaction and the second one by you. Enough already. I trade. Yesterday wasn't safe. I didn't trade. I spilled blood in a different ship. If you only have 1 ship you can trade somewhere else. Good God!

What about long range lasers and missiles. Boost away, FA off, turn and face pursuer and blast em.
It is simple: You make a choice at the point of stating to be pulled. You intend to fight or run and once that split second choice has been made; act accordingly. But even if you choose to fight, make sure you have an escape plan.

Guys, the engineering factor has been way over hyped in this scenario.

Against a stock Cutter with 6A shields, a Clipper @ 1000m or less could have stripped shields and armor in about 20 seconds using unmoddified large frag cannons and medium rail guns.

I'm sure that the attacker did use some modded weapons, but the engineering wasn't required. It just made it easier, as 50% of the rounds could have missed to get the kill in 20 seconds (which is probaby the case, as engineered frags and stock hammers could have gotten it in 11 seconds with 100% accuracy).

But I tried jumping, is it possible there was something that hit me that interferes with FSD?

You did not try to jump, if you had there would be an event for this in the log, you may have hit the wrong button thinking you attempted to jump.

For those asking what double shot screening frags are.... below are some examples of what a clipper with this build can do in the hands of a good pvper.

[video=youtube;xBSpY2QP_xs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBSpY2QP_xs[/video]

[video=youtube;mrSjrQoKmJs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrSjrQoKmJs[/video]

[video=youtube;FlMt_UzO8cs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlMt_UzO8cs[/video]

[video=youtube;ZKnCXG6QjZs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKnCXG6QjZs[/video]

Last edited:

Not really. Beef up the shield and practice targeting escape systems as soon as you arrive at a location, practice making your escape jump after a simulated interdiction and you are golden.

There a videos about this place (Hercules posted??) that show just how easy it really is for a trader to escape a griefer. And really it is.

dont go in open pvp when you haven't spend 500h time to engineering your ship. I suppose it is first rule of PVP in elite :D
That is why pve groups are so popular.

Top Bottom