PvP How????

Sounds like your defenses are lacking.

My T9 has a Prismatic 6A(550mj w/boosters), an SCB, and just under 2k armor. It doesn't break 200m/s and can survive players.

Even with a regular 6A generator, and a couple boosters, the Cutter should hit 600 mj no problem. Submit, low wake. If there's multiple attackers, submit, high wake.

What you've just described ISN'T a reason to run C8 shields on a Cutter.

It's a reason to avoid flying a Cutter at all.

Personally, I've been running my Cutter quite happily with 6A shields - to the point where I've been accused of "cheating" (somehow) after other players have been unable to disable my ship.

Thing is, these days people are using engineering mod's intended to punch through shields and damage the hull and modules before the shields go down.
That being the case, you need to ensure you've got HRPs and/or MRPs fitted to soak up some of that damage and give you a chance to escape.
A Cutter with 6A shields and a decent HRP and MRP will be more survivable than the same ship fitted with 8A shields and no HRPs/MRPs.
And, of course, you get to keep that C8 slot for passengers or cargo in return for sacrificing a couple of smaller slots for modest HRPs & MRPs.

There's plenty of ways to keep your Cutter intact, yours is one. But most trade cutters are pointless greed builds because 'my ships so expensive I am sure I'll be fine!', with all respect to people flying pointless greed builds. :p

Stealthie

Banned
There's plenty of ways to keep your Cutter intact, yours is one. But most trade cutters are pointless greed builds because 'my ships so expensive I am sure I'll be fine!', with all respect to people flying pointless greed builds. :p

A fair point.

I haven't checked but I suspect that fitting a trade Cutter with a C8 shield would probably create a situation where you might as well be flying an Anaconda instead, and save yourself at least Cr100m as a result.

With regard to your point, though, just because you want to use those lovely C8 slots for something profitable, you can be too greedy and try and fill ALL the slots with profitable things.
That probably is a recipe for disaster, especially in Open. You have to accept that some of the slots need to be used for defensive purposes.
Either that or restrict yourself to Solo or Mobius when flying in full-on greed mode.

Big, lone ships in open are big, fat targets.

Don't know what you have done to improve yourself/your ship, but it's a long list of what you may need to do if you want to avoid re-buys.

Ask if you need or comb the forum for ideas.

Good luck.

If you don't have at least 10k Mj of Shields with 80% resist all and a matching hull, laser-honed reflexes and the ability to shoot down at least 12 Reverb Cascase torpedoes at once from multiple vectors and at least 4 SCB's...

That's Open.

I don't go there because it's like riding a pogo stick through a dog kennel. You're going to end up with something you don't want all over you.

That isn't true, if you are alert, have reasonable outfitting and actually know what you are doing, it is possible to escape almost any gank. Sure, I was caught off-guard here and there, but if you want to escape only, your chances are very high. I don't do PvP, but I'm not afraid to fly in open.

Free pro-tip on how to easily navigate shark infested waters with the greediest of builds:

1 - Use the ship scanner. (that vastly underrated and underused tool right in the middle of the cockpit). If solid squares, ignore and proceed. If hollow squares, pay attention to them.

2 - If you see a hollow square going around you to get on your tail (you can not only see the square but their direction too on the selected ship hologram), do an emergency drop to normal space (press the jump key twice).

3 - Done. Interdiction avoided. Now boost away from the drop point, just in case your attacker follows your wake and drops into normal space as well (almost never happens). You'll be out of weapons range when he arrives. I suggest you stick around normal space for a bit, as the attacker will most likely wait a few moments to see if you come back. It's a bit boring, but it's even more boring for them, so it's worth it :D

4 - Now it's the time to decide if you're going back to supercruise or jump to another system and come back later. If going back to supercruise, re-enter supercruise in a different direction (at least 90º), so that your attacker won't be right behind you when you re-enter supercruise. That way you will have time to check if he is still there, and if he is still after you (he'll have to circle behind you again - in this case go back to 2). If you feel the heat is too big, jump away and then return.

Remember that to escape the lions you don't have to be the fastest zebra. You just have to not be the slowest of all. Make youself more trouble than you're worth, and the lions will go after someone else.

I am just wondering what I mods I could do to my Cutter to do that kind of damage.
That would eat through my A6 shield and 5 shield boosters, in a few seconds, and then
strip my hull. I have been up against 3 npcs hunting me, and I lasted longer than that.
And my ship is a vanilla build. No mods YET.

Thus negating pretty-much any reason (other than combat) to fly the ship in the first place.

I can't help noticing that every reply to this thread has focused on what the OP might have done wrong, rather than attempting to answer the actual question ASKED - that being what sort of weapon mod's might allow a Cutter to be destroyed quickly?

To which, the answer is that a whole heap of weapon mod's will allow for that sort of damage to be inflicted.

Like it or not, the Cutter and Corvette are juicy targets in Open.
If your ship isn't built for combat you really need to pay constant attention to your scanner (which you really should be doing regardless) and be prepared to jump to a different system if anything even starts to look dodgy - such as another CMDR changing course or starting to move around behind you.
As soon as you enter a system, try to scan every player ship, see if they've got an FS interdictor fitted and be VERY wary of ships that have.

Chides others for not answering question, then doesn't answer question...

To the OP:

Assuming that you were using 6A Shield Generator and no boosters or reinforcement modules, and are running stock hull, then it would appear that a Clipper armed with two Large G5 Overcharged Frag Cannons with Incendiary Rounds, and two Medium Imperial Hammers (unmodded) will take down your shields and armor in 10 seconds, at 1000m out. Also requires A Class power supply and distributor.

https://eddp.co/u/mdoGgRBl (click on the "offense" tab to see performance against your cutter)

Free pro-tip on how to easily navigate shark infested waters with the greediest of builds:

1 - Use the ship scanner. (that vastly underrated and underused tool right in the middle of the cockpit). If solid squares, ignore and proceed. If hollow squares, pay attention to them.

2 - If you see a hollow square going around you to get on your tail (you can not only see the square but their direction too on the selected ship hologram), do an emergency drop to normal space (press the jump key twice).

3 - Done. Interdiction avoided. Now boost away from the drop point, just in case your attacker follows your wake and drops into normal space as well (almost never happens). You'll be out of weapons range when he arrives. I suggest you stick around normal space for a bit, as the attacker will most likely wait a few moments to see if you come back. It's a bit boring, but it's even more boring for them, so it's worth it :D

4 - Now it's the time to decide if you're going back to supercruise or jump to another system and come back later. If going back to supercruise, re-enter supercruise in a different direction (at least 90º), so that your attacker won't be right behind you when you re-enter supercruise. That way you will have time to check if he is still there, and if he is still after you (he'll have to circle behind you again - in this case go back to 2). If you feel the heat is too big, jump away and then return.

Remember that to escape the lions you don't have to be the fastest zebra. You just have to not be the slowest of all. Make youself more trouble than you're worth, and the lions will go after someone else.

AD 1. Actually the scanner works "sometimes" there are a lot of situations where other symbols will cover up players. Local also isn't showing every player around you. The thing you want to use is Contact History and look for "NOW".

Last edited:
Stock PAs and rails are punishing against shields, even more so with mods. Frags, too. Incindiary multicannons are popular too, for their shield shredding capability.

AD 1. Actually the scanner works "sometimes" there are a lot of situations where other symbols will cover up players. Local also isn't showing every player around you. The thing you want to use is Contact History and look for "NOW".

The contact list won't tell you where the players are, nor what they are doing. Most players are just going about their business. Only the ones trying to get behind you matter.

I haven't checked but I suspect that fitting a trade Cutter with a C8 shield would probably create a situation where you might as well be flying an Anaconda instead, and save yourself at least Cr100m as a result.
Here is comparison list from Coriolis comparing some builds of T9, Anaconda, Corvette, and Cutter.

While the Anaconda in that comparison list is more capable (it can mine as well as haul cargo). The Cutter with Class 8 shields is more than holding it's own in a cargo hauling capacity (256 v 128), is faster and has stronger shields.

If solid squares, ignore and proceed. If hollow squares, pay attention to them.

Your words, not mine. Fact is, the scanner won't show you all hollow squares. When there are objects and npcs nearby players behind you might be also hard to see in time.

I am just wondering what I mods I could do to my Cutter to do that kind of damage.
That would eat through my A6 shield and 5 shield boosters, in a few seconds, and then
strip my hull. I have been up against 3 npcs hunting me, and I lasted longer than that.
And my ship is a vanilla build. No mods YET.

As to what you can do, the best strategy is to ensure that your shields will hold up long enough for your FSD to charge and get away. This build will do that: https://eddp.co/u/9x4UeLzn while keeping cost down and your cargo capacity up.

I was in my Cutter doing passenger missions in Open.
When I was interdicted by this Cmdr in a clipper, I submitted.
Then immediately boosted to get some distance till I could jump.
But within 11 secs, my A6 shields were down, and hull was at 0. Rebuy screen.
What ' engineered mods would do that to a ship that fast?

There are a LOT of options for that.

Rapid fire Frags.....

Efficient PAs...

MCs....

If i were to bet i'd say Frags.. maybe even the ones from zachary...

other have already said where you failed... you should listen to them...

Dont be a min maxer... drop you CR/H for more surviability.

AND REMEMBER TO ALWAYS HIGH WAKE to another sys.

There are a LOT of options for that.

Rapid fire Frags.....

Efficient PAs...

MCs....

If i were to bet i'd say Frags.. maybe even the ones from zachary...

other have already said where you failed... you should listen to them...

Dont be a min maxer... drop you CR/H for more surviability.

AND REMEMBER TO ALWAYS HIGH WAKE to another sys.

There wasn't time to jump, I died before FSD recharged.

Anyway lesson learned, A8+5 boosters installed.
Once I accumulated enough credits, I am going to go a modding.....

Thinking focused pulsed turrets on mediums and maybe some type of MC's on the large and huge.

Top Bottom