HTC Vive resolution and  focus

I was fearing to hear something like that... US$ 799 spent to fetch a Vive and bring it to Brazil to hear this... :(
I'm wondering about the nearest bridge to jump from.

I am nearsighted, I don't use glasses in the Vive and vision is perfect. I guess it depends on the person and their needs. I have astigmatism, but rather mild. Some astigmastisms might still need to be corrected for with VR.

I was fearing to hear something like that... US$ 799 spent to fetch a Vive and bring it to Brazil to hear this... :(

Don't worry. The vive is just awesome. The Lab, Space Pirate Trainer, Brookhaven, Vanishing Realms, I had no idea room scale would add so much fun!!

Even though there is currently a bug with the renderer here in Elite, I still play it in the Vive. Plus it is getting worked on so fear not, it'll get taken care of.

Don't worry. The vive is just awesome. The Lab, Space Pirate Trainer, Brookhaven, Vanishing Realms, I had no idea room scale would add so much fun!!

Even though there is currently a bug with the renderer here in Elite, I still play it in the Vive. Plus it is getting worked on so fear not, it'll get taken care of.

Indeed! I tried yesterday the Zombie training simulator that it's surprisingly a joy to shoot! I don't know why, but the shooting mechanics in this game are very satisfying. :)

(sorry about the off-topic and thanks for the cheering up)

We generally post about updates and such here on the forums, especially when we have solid news to share on the progress of something.

But yes, a fix is being worked on - but it takes time to get right and stable. :)

YAY! :)

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Got my Vive today and tried ED in VR for the first time. Couldn't read the text on a mission update and the aliasing is awful. Still a stunning experience though, the sense of depth is amazing and docking at Jameson Memorial was spectacular. Really looking forward to them implementing their fixes.

Try green HUD.

Stick :

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<GraphicsConfig>
  <GUIColour>
    <Default>
      <LocalisationName>Standard</LocalisationName>

<!-- Default -->
<!-- 	  <MatrixRed> 1, 0, 0 </MatrixRed>
	  <MatrixGreen> 0, 1, 0 </MatrixGreen>
	  <MatrixBlue> 0, 0, 1 </MatrixBlue> -->

<!-- Green -->
      <MatrixRed> 0, 1, -1 </MatrixRed>
      <MatrixGreen> 1, -1, -1 </MatrixGreen>
      <MatrixBlue> 1, 0.5, 0.5 </MatrixBlue>

<!-- Red -->
<!-- 	  <MatrixRed> 1, 0, 0 </MatrixRed>
	  <MatrixGreen> 0, 0, 0 </MatrixGreen>
	  <MatrixBlue> 0, 1, 1 </MatrixBlue> -->
    </Default>
  </GUIColour>
</GraphicsConfig>

in a new file called :
Code:
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Graphics\GraphicsConfigurationOverride.xml

Delete file if you want to revert.

Last edited:
I'm really, really looking forward to the rendering fix for the HTC Vive. I've been playing with Supersampling 2.0 but obviously I've had to lower graphics settings to compensate (I currently have single GeForce GTX 970 until my 1080 is shipped). The game is STUNNING in VR, but it's unfortunate we're plagued with this rendering problem at the moment as the semi-fix that is Supersampling really eats away at performance.

Any indication from Frontier as to progress made or things yet to be done to fix the HTC Vive rendering?

Last edited:
Nah just that they are working on it and that we will have it "soooooon" ;)

Cool, cool. If there's official confirmation of them working on it, I'm happy! :) Frontier have proven to be excellent both in capability and in communication, in my opinion. I look forward to seeing deep space through my HTC Vive in glorious detail! :D

Hmm, apparently this is taking longer than anticipated. I'm still hoping it'll surface sooner than later.
SS 2x does help a tiny bit in terms of readability but not really all that much. Text is just way too small.

Last edited:
Yup, yup. I'm not a fan of using Supersampling. Too much of a performance hit and for sure it's not looking as good as it does on the Rift.

I don't post often in this forums, but as a Vive owner I've been watching this forum carefully and I'm starving for updates.
It's been a long time since Frontier devs gave some detail about their progress with the aliasing and resolution problem, and whether there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

I would rather just know there is no improvements to be made, than to hold out false hope for weeks and months.

Dear Frontier, is it possible that the display issues with the Vive can be fixed?
If so, do you have an estimate on when we'll see the fixes roll out?

No, I was more or less trying to point out that at the moment the ED is better implemented in the Rift. They are working on bringing the Vive implementation up to the same level. There are differences in the drivers and changes are required in the ED engine. I am sure it will come up to match.
Don't regret getting the vive it is an awesome device. I don't regret it.
A few things I find is that the Vive is more Vibrant and has a better sweet spot. In ED with the vive I can use my eyes to look around more at the instruments. With the Rift I have to move my head more to look down at them as the sweet spot is smaller and things around the edge are out of focus more than the Vive.

It was not my intention to turn it into a Vive Vs Rift, I am sure it is just a short term issue. As someone who has both I can tell you at the moment the Implementation of ED for the Rift is better than it is for the Vive. Both have basically the same specs though, so there is no hardware reason for this.

There are great vive games you can play until Frontier fixes are working. Don't worry. Play a bit with room scale or try http://store.steampowered.com/app/283160/, its a great game! You will have much fun with your vive, there are 277 games right now on steam.

I don't post often in this forums, but as a Vive owner I've been watching this forum carefully and I'm starving for updates.
It's been a long time since Frontier devs gave some detail about their progress with the aliasing and resolution problem, and whether there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

I would rather just know there is no improvements to be made, than to hold out false hope for weeks and months.

Dear Frontier, is it possible that the display issues with the Vive can be fixed?
If so, do you have an estimate on when we'll see the fixes roll out?

The whole point that other games are looking much better in the vive and elite looks awesome in the rift should be enough to answer your question but to be clear:
Yes, it is indeed possible. Ofc Frontier can decide to stop working on it but i don't believe they would survive the storm that would happen if they do. But i really dont think that will happen. Frontier already proved that they deserve my trust!

Last edited:
No fix or mention of a fix in today's very long patch notes. Losing hope.

I have to admit that my heart sunk a bit when I've read the patch notes. They were soooo long and promising.... but nothing for Vive. Luckily I have so much work right now, that I won't be able to play this or next week, but still... would have been nice to know that it was fixed...

Same here, I don't use the forums often but I have been keeping an eye out on this particular forum specifically for the HTC Vive. Let's hope they update us soon with some progress or something.

Last edited:
The whole point that other games are looking much better in the vive and elite looks awesome in the rift should be enough to answer your question but to be clear: Yes, it is indeed possible. Ofc Frontier can decide to stop working on it but i don't believe they would survive the storm that would happen if they do. But i really dont think that will happen. Frontier already proved that they deserve my trust!

Indeed, other games looking better and the reasons for this have been discussed in other places. We know the game has potential to look so much better on the Vive, and Frontier are capable of achieving it.

What has been lacking is a response containing more detail from Frontier. Some general intentions were mentioned, that the problem is known, and they want to make things better. But what I am hoping for is some detailed information directly from them and a broad time frame, and I'm not looking for concrete or optimistic dates.

I've been very patient here, so some news from Frontier would be welcome!

Last edited:
Hey All,

Just a few questions:

1. Has Elite Dangerous always had its current issues in the HTC Vive? I know HTC used it to promote the VIVE on various gamescon type events, so I presume in order for that to happen it cant have looked that bad at one point. - If this is true wouldnt that indicate that if it once was good it can be again.
  2. My main concern is the lack of "depth" in the HTC Vive, i'm currently using the DK2 and i'm currently rather content with the experience, the sense of depth whilst in deep space is staggering. I hope this is something that can be fixed.
  3. Can anyone compare the experience in Elite Dangerous from the DK2 to the ViVE?

Last edited:
Top Bottom