HTC Vive resolution and  focus

Why is everyone happy with this? They are clearly saying that the resolution/AA problems are NOT being fixed in the next patch - just the text. This is BAD news - not good news! Now we can read text - but the outside still looks like crap. Greeeeeeat....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_allocation

The mere fact that any development resources were allocated to this issue that affects a very small number of us is a miracle. My guess is you are probably a young person who doesn't understand business yet.

Guys I'm in desperate need of help here. I dont know if my issue is related to the symptoms discussed in this thread (if not I apologize and seek a redirect) but here it goes:

When I first started playing ED in VR I had Windows 8.1 and DK2 , though resolution was expectedly bad, the performance was perfect (ie. no issues with the machine/dk2 handling any refresh rates or fps).
Things went down however when I upgraded to Windows 10, where DK2's support suffered a great deal filled with jitters and ghosting.

I just got my HTC vive and I thought YES this will solve the compatibility problems and you know what? I'll even format my PC and install nothing but ED and all the latest drivers/updates.

Guess what, Its even worse ! ED with HTC vive bombarded me with jitters and ghosting and whatever people call it, its just terrible and disappointing! I installed most of the available VR games from steam such as Tilt brush, the lab, the gallery, all of which worked perfectly with absolutely no issues.
An important observation though is that while playing, there is mirrored window opened on my desktop screen and shows little symptoms of the problems I see inside the VR goggles. Is this because the game is rendering TWO instances of the game at the same time (ie 3 screens) or mirroring has no effect? I can't tell since there is no option to turn off the mirroring of the game.

I am suspecting that my machine could be outdated or some kinda deep compatibility issue is at works here, so here's my System's Specs:

Intel i7-4960X Extreme Edition LGA 2011
Asus Rampage IV Black Edition EATX DDR3 2133 Intel LGA 2011 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 1866 MHZ (PC3 15000)
EVGA EVGA GeForce GTX TITAN Z 12GB

I really hope someone has any advice on how I can improve the experience since right now its completely unplayable.

Cheers

This is great news, and thanks for keeping the community up to date. I for one cancelled my CV1 for the vive, partly due to official ED support, so naturally I was disappointed with these bugs.

Also, the SLI fix for ED VR would be very weclome :p

Being honest for further down the line, I'd be happy for an update to be solely focused around sorting VR SLI compatibility.

When VR SLI is implemented, it'll almost certainly be part of VR Gameworks which includes dx12. I'm sure everyone's aware of what that means at a high level - both cards memory being used and both cards performance.

The floodgates will be open for all SLI users to come pouring in and we'll lead the way for the completion... It'd be interesting to see the hardware surveys for everyone's machines to work out potential market scope of VR SLI capable rigs.

Thank you Zac

The game is awesome but i was little disappointed with the quality of graphics in HTC Vive. I'd expected it to be better than demos i've tried on DK2, but in ED its quite similar.
Your post have really made my day. Hope to see this patch soon. Thanks for the information and send my regards to the dev team. [up]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_allocation

The mere fact that any development resources were allocated to this issue that affects a very small number of us is a miracle. My guess is you are probably a young person who doesn't understand business yet.

No - and no.

YOU don't understand it. The miracle was that they made the decision to support VR in the beginning. Years ago. When there was no commercial VR - just dev kits.

But: from the MOMENT you as a company officially announce support for a device - it's now your OBLIGATION to FULLY support that device. Because now people spend money on devices based on the fact that you officially support them.

No - and no.

YOU don't understand it. The miracle was that they made the decision to support VR in the beginning. Years ago. When there was no commercial VR - just dev kits.

But: from the MOMENT you as a company officially announce support for a device - it's now your OBLIGATION to FULLY support that device. Because now people spend money on devices based on the fact that you officially support them.
As long as the HTC logo is on the EliteDangerous.com web page, I'll be smiling. :D If Frontier's devs can't make it work in VR, no one can.

Being honest for further down the line, I'd be happy for an update to be solely focused around sorting VR SLI compatibility.

When VR SLI is implemented, it'll almost certainly be part of VR Gameworks which includes dx12. I'm sure everyone's aware of what that means at a high level - both cards memory being used and both cards performance.

The floodgates will be open for all SLI users to come pouring in and we'll lead the way for the completion... It'd be interesting to see the hardware surveys for everyone's machines to work out potential market scope of VR SLI capable rigs.

Would be great to see VR SLI become a thing. The support is there already from Nvidia but the real issue is it's left to games companies to integrate and that is where it fails. Back when I was using conventional SLI it was hit and miss. Battlefield games always had perfect SLI from launch. Crysis games always launched with broken SLI and got it working months later. NFS shift 2 began with broken SLI... fixed many months later. I suspect things will be the same or worse with VR SLI.

It's a shame it requires game dev support. Having said that... Wouldn't it be a feature of Unreal engine?

I'm not seeing this issue as badly as some people seem to say they are having it. What I am seeing on my Vive seems to be just due to limited screen resolution. I do see a lot of SDE though.

When that day comes, you'll have to pinch me because I'll think I'm dreaming. VR SLI for Elite would be the pinnacle of my gaming pleasure. At the moment it kinda sucks when on my 1080 monitor, I can run Elite on Ultra details and everything maxxed out for a frame rate that never dips below 120fps , only to have to run it on minimum in the Vive because I have to turn one of the bloody graphics cards off.

Please FD! Make my dreams come true! :D

No - and no.

It seems in your mind SUPPORT = FIX NOW NOW NOW

They have said they are working on it. That is called support. At the point they say they will not work on it then it is NOT SUPPORTED.

Resource allocation is deciding how much to assign to it.

It works. It works now. It could work better. Based on what they say I expect it will work better. Support.

Just finding this thread now and breathed a sigh of relief. Good to see the issues acknowledged and official word that it's being worked on.

In my case, the aliasing was too bad to play for longer than 30-60 minutes without significant eye strain, so I've put the game aside and working on more elaborate Voice Attack commands in the interim.

I did see the recommendation to set SuperSampling to 2.0. That doesn't appear to be possible for me. Even with my new GTX 980TI it becomes a stuttering and unresponsive mess. Hopefully the incoming fixes won't make that a requirement as much as a higher fidelity luxury.

Guys I'm in desperate need of help here. I dont know if my issue is related to the symptoms discussed in this thread (if not I apologize and seek a redirect) but here it goes:

When I first started playing ED in VR I had Windows 8.1 and DK2 , though resolution was expectedly bad, the performance was perfect (ie. no issues with the machine/dk2 handling any refresh rates or fps).
Things went down however when I upgraded to Windows 10, where DK2's support suffered a great deal filled with jitters and ghosting.

I just got my HTC vive and I thought YES this will solve the compatibility problems and you know what? I'll even format my PC and install nothing but ED and all the latest drivers/updates.

Guess what, Its even worse ! ED with HTC vive bombarded me with jitters and ghosting and whatever people call it, its just terrible and disappointing! I installed most of the available VR games from steam such as Tilt brush, the lab, the gallery, all of which worked perfectly with absolutely no issues.
An important observation though is that while playing, there is mirrored window opened on my desktop screen and shows little symptoms of the problems I see inside the VR goggles. Is this because the game is rendering TWO instances of the game at the same time (ie 3 screens) or mirroring has no effect? I can't tell since there is no option to turn off the mirroring of the game.

I am suspecting that my machine could be outdated or some kinda deep compatibility issue is at works here, so here's my System's Specs:

Intel i7-4960X Extreme Edition LGA 2011
Asus Rampage IV Black Edition EATX DDR3 2133 Intel LGA 2011 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 1866 MHZ (PC3 15000)
EVGA EVGA GeForce GTX TITAN Z 12GB

I really hope someone has any advice on how I can improve the experience since right now its completely unplayable.

Cheers

I'm certainly not an expert here, but I'll give this a shot. First off, be aware that the DK2 is much easier to drive than the Vive or Cv1 because it was lower resolution. Could be a factor.

also, I don't believe that there's any relationship between the on screen rendering and the rendering in the hmd, so just because the issue isn't on screen doesn't mean that there isn't still a rendering issue going into the headset.

Honestly though, my gut says that your Titan z is the culprit. Ive seen a few reports suggesting that ED does not work well with SLI, and as dual gpu card, the Titan z is basically a form of SLI. I've never owned a dual gpu card, so I don't know if there's a way to put it in a "single gpu" mode, but if there is, I'd try setting it that way to test things out.

also, what settings are you running? I'd start with VR low and work your way up.

hope some of this helps...

I had a similar problem when I first used the vive but now it runs almost perfectly with nearly everything at max.

The main fix for me was to check nvidia, my drivers were one version behind and upgrading them made a hell of a difference :). Also I disabled sli but the titan z should work as one shouldn't it? I have no idea but as filmgeek suggested, disable any sli settings if you have them.

Last little thing I do is to lower the resolution to min on the mirror. I don't know how much it helps but it must help a bit.

My rigs quite a bit less than yours so you should be fine :D

AMD FX9590 8 core @4.7ghz
Asus crossbar v formula (quite old now)
2x 780 ti sc (one disabled for Vive, I renable for Elite 4k)
32gb 1866mhz gskill ripjaws

I'm actually very surprised how well one 780 ti does. I've been blown away by the whole experience (after day one issues like you had).

Fly safe,
Evolution

Last edited:
No - and no.

I don't think you understand what 'obligation' means. For a listed company, its not about making friends, its about being honest with the shareholders, and providing as good a return on investment as they can.

I'm certainly not an expert here, but I'll give this a shot. First off, be aware that the DK2 is much easier to drive than the Vive or Cv1 because it was lower resolution. Could be a factor.

also, I don't believe that there's any relationship between the on screen rendering and the rendering in the hmd, so just because the issue isn't on screen doesn't mean that there isn't still a rendering issue going into the headset.

Honestly though, my gut says that your Titan z is the culprit. Ive seen a few reports suggesting that ED does not work well with SLI, and as dual gpu card, the Titan z is basically a form of SLI. I've never owned a dual gpu card, so I don't know if there's a way to put it in a "single gpu" mode, but if there is, I'd try setting it that way to test things out.

also, what settings are you running? I'd start with VR low and work your way up.

hope some of this helps...

I had a similar problem when I first used the vive but now it runs almost perfectly with nearly everything at max.

The main fix for me was to check nvidia, my drivers were one version behind and upgrading them made a hell of a difference :). Also I disabled sli but the titan z should work as one shouldn't it? I have no idea but as filmgeek suggested, disable any sli settings if you have them.

Last little thing I do is to lower the resolution to min on the mirror. I don't know how much it helps but it must help a bit.

My rigs quite a bit less than yours so you should be fine :D

AMD FX9590 8 core @4.7ghz
Asus crossbar v formula (quite old now)
2x 780 ti sc (one disabled for Vive, I renable for Elite 4k)
32gb 1866mhz gskill ripjaws

I'm actually very surprised how well one 780 ti does. I've been blown away by the whole experience (after day one issues like you had).

Fly safe,
Evolution

I sincerely thank you guys for taking the time to respond.

i have basically tried everything i could on my end to fix the issue as per your suggestions.

i have played with all resolutions and quality settings. Plus im not sure if my card is an SLI one since i have not seen any settings anywhere including the control panel to disable SLI or even a cpu. My driver is up to date as well.

to make sure I started playing other vr games with no issues at all.

my latest attempt right now is going way back before the problems started which is just before upgrading to windows 10. So I basically erased my PC and installed windows 8.1. I am now downloading ED as we speak (which is now riddled with download issues from the server) fingers crossed.

Regards

OK, good news, but first.. I apologize for seemingly hijacking the thread. I just found that my issue is a bit unrelated.

Secondly, I just can't believe that I went into the trouble of reformatting, downgrading OS and going through all the settings and forgetting the "Disable Multi-GPU" tickbox in NVIDIA's control panel !

As soon as I did that all worked like magic. butter-smooth tracking all over and I can't wait to do some bounty hunting...

I'm guessing somehow TITAN Z is intrinsically SLI or something since I had to turn off that feature which resembles multi cpu's .

Thanks again for the responders I hope this info helps someone with the same situation.

Cheers!

Yepp, rework of AA is needed.
Both in VR and in 'normal' game. In normal game i am using DSR 2x instead of multisampling 2.0 because DSR works faster, but in VR it doesnt work. I need to use built-in multisampling 2.0 and this really requiring for the GPU. 1.5 factor is not looking such good as 2.0.

Last edited:
Top Bottom