HTC Vive resolution and  focus

Dude, they're just trying to fix a bug...

anyone noticed that in new beta 2.2.03 update 4 changelog we got:

"VR
- Enabled dithering for VR to reduce banding
"

But again this improvement for Rifters and this totally unfair cos they don't take seriously our issues..

Last edited:
nope, is an issue not a bug , is the same like Vive scale but Fdev do not care..

BTW " Dude " seriously ? you just ruined my cmdr immersion :)

They're fixing the banding issue in the oculus, because they hate vive and it's unfair? Still seems a bit of a stretch...

Last edited:
They're fixing the banding issue in the oculus, because they hate vive and it's unfair? Still seems a bit of a stretch...

no , is unfair becouse of when I bought Vive (April) there was no single dedicated Frontier fix for Vive users .
Ofcourse Steam VR new releases solved some issues but not all of them.

If i remember well fd is aiming to fix vive's and general vr's issue with the upgraded rendering engine (dx10->dx11) that was announced in september (it was claimed that it won't come for at least 6 mounth) but we may have hope that it come along with the 2.3 release?

Anyway i'd really love to see the cockpit light's bug issue fixed

Last edited:
But well as a temporary fix that would be nice to have a cockpit light brightness dialer in the hud's function (we can dim the light emitted by the hud but it does not affect the joystick lights etc... ) and if we could dimm it down or even turn it off that would solve the most boring problem with the actual vive rendering ^^

Hi, after 700 hours of VIVE VR gaming, the sweet spot of settings are:
-Vive HMD supersampling with hardware (ChaperoneSwitcher) to 2.0
-In game supersampling downsampled to 0.65
-In game HMD quality 1.0

NOTE: I noticed in game HMD quality setting was worsened in some update. 2.0 setting did not anymore correlate to Vive hardware 2.0. That's why I turned back to putting hmd quality setting back to 1.0 and vive hardware setting to 2.0

Try them and enjoy. Otherwise I'm using VR Ultra settings mostly.
i7 old, 1070 OC, 16MB

- - - Updated - - -

-In game HMD quality 1.0

NOTE: I noticed in game HMD quality setting was worsened in some update. 2.0 setting did not anymore correlate to Vive hardware 2.0. That's why I turned back to putting hmd quality setting back to 1.0 and vive hardware setting to 2.0

i7 old, 1070 OC, 16MB

And AA to SMAA

Just noticed the "night mode" setting in steam vr. This in conjunction with gamma settings may help achieve better atmosphere and reduce glare effects. Just tried it and I think I might be onto something.

Just noticed the "night mode" setting in steam vr. This in conjunction with gamma settings may help achieve better atmosphere and reduce glare effects. Just tried it and I think I might be onto something.

Hi Mikaltaylor,

Can you be a bit more specific please mate? I've just looked at steam VR settings but couldn't see where the night mode option is? Also what do you mean about gamma please?

I've spent the last few days jumping over 600 times in the hope of seeing aliens but my eyes are actually hurting :(. I don't want to mess about with too many in-game options as it'll affect it when I play on the tv, like normal. Either way, I'd appreciate the gamma setting as well if you don't mind.

Fly safe,
Evolution

Hi CMDR,

The night mode setting is enabled through your SteamVR dashboard while inside VR, not externally/on your desktop app

Hi Mikaltaylor,

Can you be a bit more specific please mate? I've just looked at steam VR settings but couldn't see where the night mode option is? Also what do you mean about gamma please?

I've spent the last few days jumping over 600 times in the hope of seeing aliens but my eyes are actually hurting :(. I don't want to mess about with too many in-game options as it'll affect it when I play on the tv, like normal. Either way, I'd appreciate the gamma setting as well if you don't mind.

Fly safe,
Evolution

Just tried it myself, with my gamma setting on my normal "two ticks above minimum" position. This looks SO much better. Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

-In game HMD quality 1.0

i7 old, 1070 OC, 16MB

- - - Updated - - -

And AA to SMAA

No chance to get it running on my VIVE somehow. Tested on a GTX 970 at a friend of mine and there we can drive full smooth fps with a rendering target multiplier of 1.4.

I have a slightly OCed R9 Fury Nano running stable at 1025mhz and ED is literally unplayable. Even with render target 1.0, ingame SS of 0.5(!!!!!) and HMD quality of 1.0 the game wont achive frame times below 14ms. ED looks terrible and has the worst VR performance i've seen so far. Also it has this funny colored artefacts arounds the FOV which you can also see in the rendered image on the desktop:

dPQYQFN.jpg

ED is the worst VR game here, everything else runs perfect on my system with frame times of 3 to 4ms or a maximum of 8ms per frame, except ED...

Oh by the way, my Eyefinity setup in 5760x1080 and everything at high level with SSMA runs perfect. 80~90fps at stations and above 90fps everywhere else, in space usually above 100fps. But not in VR. Something is terribly wrong here.

Last edited:
I notice you still have the default HUD. One of the most frequently mentioned and important first changes you should make is to change you HUD colour. I have an NVidia card so I don't know how the quoted settings affect you, but for me keeping SS in steamVR at 1.0 and having the HMD/IngameSS at 1.5 and 1.0 performs much better, and with those settings I can turn AA off as if makes no visible difference in game, but helps performance.

I assume you've chosen all the right/mentioned in this thread reprojection settings.

No chance to get it running on my VIVE somehow. Tested on a GTX 970 at a friend of mine and there we can drive full smooth fps with a rendering target multiplier of 1.4.

I have a slightly OCed R9 Fury Nano running stable at 1025mhz and ED is literally unplayable. Even with render target 1.0, ingame SS of 0.5(!!!!!) and HMD quality of 1.0 the game wont achive frame times below 14ms. ED looks terrible and has the worst VR performance i've seen so far. Also it has this funny colored artefacts arounds the FOV which you can also see in the rendered image on the desktop:

http://i.imgur.com/dPQYQFN.jpg

ED is the worst VR game here, everything else runs perfect on my system with frame times of 3 to 4ms or a maximum of 8ms per frame, except ED...

Oh by the way, my Eyefinity setup in 5760x1080 and everything at high level with SSMA runs perfect. 80~90fps at stations and above 90fps everywhere else, in space usually above 100fps. But not in VR. Something is terribly wrong here.

Last edited:
Yep, been there done that.
Async On,
Interleaved Off,
Always On

The funny part is that even in very low details I have a strong judder and no frame times below 14 to 16ms. On the other hand even with 5760x1080 I can have very high frame rates in high details. Something is causing massive issues here. Also there are the color artefacts. Somethings definitily terribly wrong.

Even the real VIVE resolution with a render target multiplier of 2.0 would mean a lower output of pixels compared to the Eyefinity setup. There is no reason why the performance is so poor. I guess its again the really absurdly bad VR implentation done by FDEV.

Last edited:
Gotcha - but don't get caught up with the comparative FPS you're getting. At that resolution, across my three screens, I get up to 150~200FPS generated, and the same in ETS2. I can't touch that in either game, in VR.

Having SS set to 2.0 and GFX on Very High isn't realistic for most people, there's a noticeable frame drop on any card you use (I have a 1080) and unless it’s backed up with a kicker of a CPU… Well… Some of the above, in this thread, is also down to what the user thinks is acceptable. I thought ED ran great in VR, until I actually got it running great. I now realise it looked good before, but didn’t run great – ghosting, outside of cockpit shadows following moving objects, some artefacts and other things I thought had to be accepted in VR ED.

If your friend has basically the same system as you, but you have an AMD card instead, I guess that you might have to research drivers that people have reported works well with their VR set. All other things being equal, your video card is the main difference between yourself and the majority of CMDRs in this thread.

Sorry I can’t help, but surely someone else in here has an AMD card and advice? People?

Yep, been there done that.
Async On,
Interleaved Off,
Always On

The funny part is that even in very low details I have a strong judder and no frame times below 14 to 16ms. On the other hand even with 5760x1080 I can have very high frame rates in high details. Something is causing massive issues here. Also there are the color artefacts. Somethings definitily terribly wrong.

Even the real VIVE resolution with a render target multiplier of 2.0 would mean a lower output of pixels compared to the Eyefinity setup. There is no reason why the performance is so poor. I guess its again the really absurdly bad VR implentation done by FDEV.

Last edited:

Keep in mind that an area increases by the square, when doubling both its dimensions, so 2.0 means four times the pixels.

...so: 5760x1080 = 6,220,800 | 2x2x1080x2x1200 = 10,368,000

On top of this; To allow for stretching in the centre of the view, when distorting the rendered images to compensate for the distortion of the lenses, OpenVR requests 1.4 times native device resolution, even before applying the render target multiplier/HMD Quality:

10,368,000x1.4 = 14,515,200

...and this is before considering the overhead of setting up two renders instead of just one, which is something that can be mitigated to some degree, using tricks that share work between them, especially if utilising features of the most recent GPUs, but we don't know how much of this FDev has done; It can be quite involved, and will not universally benefit everybody. There are gains to have though; E.g, current NVidia and upcoming AMD cards allow you to divy up parts of the view and render it with different parameters, so that you can do things like render the middle of the screen at a higher resolution than the surrounding bits, where the image gets compressed by the progressively more oblique viewing angle anyway. One day we may even get that often talked about assigning of viewports between cards in a multi-GPU setup. :7

Last edited:
Problem here is that FDEV supports absolutly nothing like LiquidVR or GameworksVR. There was put no effort at all in optimization for VR.

Fact is: Everything in VR runs great on the system. ED is the only piece of software that has the color artefacts and the poor performance and even a comparable system with a slow 970 GTX is putting out way better VR performance. So I guess it has something to do with ED's compatibility with AMD cards. We have seen before that FDEV doesnt care much about AMD cards which resulted in massive frame drops when flying past planets or coming close to them. And it took FDEV over half a year to finally fix it.

EVE Valkyrie runs like a charm by the way...

Last edited:
Keep in mind that an area increases by the square, when doubling both its dimensions, so 2.0 means four times the pixels.

...so: 5760x1080 = 6,220,800 | 2x2x1080x2x1200 = 10,368,000

On top of this; To allow for stretching in the centre of the view, when distorting the rendered images to compensate for the distortion of the lenses, OpenVR requests 1.4 times native device resolution, even before applying the render target multiplier/HMD Quality:

10,368,000x1.4 = 14,515,200

...and this is before considering the overhead of setting up two renders instead of just one, which is something that can be mitigated to some degree, using tricks that share work between them, especially if utilising features of the most recent GPUs, but we don't know how much of this FDev has done; It can be quite involved, and will not universally benefit everybody. There are gains to have though; E.g, current NVidia and upcoming AMD cards allow you to divy up parts of the view and render it with different parameters, so that you can do things like render the middle of the screen at a higher resolution than the surrounding bits, where the image gets compressed by the progressively more oblique viewing angle anyway. One day we may even get that often talked about assigning of viewports between cards in a multi-GPU setup. :7

So how come it runs on a 970 with real usable 3,5GB of memory with pretty good FPS and doesnt run well on a definitly faster card?

So how come it runs on a 970 with real usable 3,5GB of memory with pretty good FPS and doesnt run well on a definitly faster card?

Even were I privy to every variance between the systems and setups, I would not be qualified to provide an educated answer to that question - I just knew that 14 million is not less than 6 million. :7

I do recall, however, that when Valve first added the asynchronous operating mode to their reprojection, it was for latest generations NVidia cards only; Things worked differently with AMD, somehow. Don't know whether this has since been solved... If not, it's in all likelihood the same as back when people thought things worked innately better or "more efficient" on Rift than Vive; Async timewarp/reproj hides the glitches really well. :7

Last edited:
Top Bottom