HTC Vive resolution and  focus

As far as I can see based on lots of reviews and threads around the web the Oculus Rift shows a way better FPS performance with ED than the Vive. Even with identical technical specs ED shows a different performance based on which headset you use. As I said: terrible implentation of VR.

The performance is crap, the image quality is crap and the setup process is crap too.

As far as I can see based on lots of reviews and threads around the web the Oculus Rift shows a way better FPS performance with ED than the Vive. Even with identical technical specs ED shows a different performance based on which headset you use. As I said: terrible implentation of VR.

The performance is crap, the image quality is crap and the setup process is crap too.

For what it's worth with a GTX 1070 and Intel 6600 I haven't noticed the slightest issue, the image quality is astounding and the setup was .. literally, I launched the game :3
I didn't even touch the settings until 10 hours into playing and realized.. oh.. graphics has a VR ultra? Cool! *sets to VR Ultra* .. 20 hours later I hadn't changed it but.. in a few hours I'm going to try it with Render quality to 2.0 instead of the default 1 but honestly, it shouldn't have been a hassle to get running at all and the clarity should have been, well, great. I have no issues reading any of the text anywhere even leaned back and casual. Side note; I've never heard of any situation in which the Oculus caused better FPS than the Vive (even under a quick google search) as they are both on a hardware level virtually identical and even on a software level are so similar it'd make no sense for one to run better without being sought out to do just that and any claims of one performing better than the other is subject to some heavy speculation. It'd just about boil down to intentionally seeking to make one run worse than the other, no joke. Rather it's far more likely the Vive wasn't setup properly eg; higher rendering, camera turned on, unnecessary use of reprojection or some other user-fault is vastly more likely than somehow muddying up the coding for two identical pieces of hardware.

Speak of, just in case you haven't already you might want to consider disabling all the steam stuff though just as a 'try it out' thing, I don't use asynchronous reprojection or interleaved reprojection. Perf heuristic Active is turned off as it's entirely unneeded and just harms performance; also when your running on a sub-par computer (I was using a AMD Phenom II 3.6 8 core.. or something like that + a GTX 960 for the demo of Raw Data, The Lab, a long long list of games typically fine.) it's a good idea to disable all the Applications except dashboard, disable the camera and don't allow in-VR popup messages. The lag on a 960 when my GF would message me over steam.. unbearable. At the very least it's worth a try I suppose.

Maybe you should get an Oculus. Best of luck either way

As below. I plugged it in, started using it and loved it. I later found out I could make it even better.

For what it's worth with a GTX 1070 and Intel 6600 I haven't noticed the slightest issue, the image quality is astounding and the setup was .. literally, I launched the game :3
I didn't even touch the settings until 10 hours into playing and realized.. oh.. graphics has a VR ultra? Cool! *sets to VR Ultra* .. 20 hours later I hadn't changed it but.. in a few hours I'm going to try it with Render quality to 2.0 instead of the default 1 but honestly, it shouldn't have been a hassle to get running at all and the clarity should have been, well, great. I have no issues reading any of the text anywhere even leaned back and casual. Side note; I've never heard of any situation in which the Oculus caused better FPS than the Vive (even under a quick google search) as they are both on a hardware level virtually identical and even on a software level are so similar it'd make no sense for one to run better without being sought out to do just that and any claims of one performing better than the other is subject to some heavy speculation. It'd just about boil down to intentionally seeking to make one run worse than the other, no joke. Rather it's far more likely the Vive wasn't setup properly eg; higher rendering, camera turned on, unnecessary use of reprojection or some other user-fault is vastly more likely than somehow muddying up the coding for two identical pieces of hardware.

Speak of, just in case you haven't already you might want to consider disabling all the steam stuff though just as a 'try it out' thing, I don't use asynchronous reprojection or interleaved reprojection. Perf heuristic Active is turned off as it's entirely unneeded and just harms performance; also when your running on a sub-par computer (I was using a AMD Phenom II 3.6 8 core.. or something like that + a GTX 960 for the demo of Raw Data, The Lab, a long long list of games typically fine.) it's a good idea to disable all the Applications except dashboard, disable the camera and don't allow in-VR popup messages. The lag on a 960 when my GF would message me over steam.. unbearable. At the very least it's worth a try I suppose.

Well I found a lot of threads around the webs with people complaining about a catastrophic VR performance with the Vive on ED. Well thats what you get from a game that was made for 2D und had some crippled VR support built in in a hurry.

Hardly crippled VR support, the DK1 worked in pre release BETA for crying out loud !

As for the "threads" I'd bet most are before steam adopted their version of asynchronous time warp.

Can it be improved ? Yes
Is there a big difference between rift and Vive ? No ( according to those that have both)

Having SS set to 2.0 and GFX on Very High isn't realistic for most people, there's a noticeable frame drop on any card you use (I have a 1080) and unless it’s backed up with a kicker of a CPU…
If you ram up rendering resolution, the CPU's influence on performance lowers, because the GPU is limiting. Therefore a better CPU won't help anything when you ramp up resolution.

I didn't even touch the settings until 10 hours into playing and realized.. oh.. graphics has a VR ultra? Cool! *sets to VR Ultra* .. 20 hours later I hadn't changed it but.. in a few hours I'm going to try it with Render quality to 2.0 instead of the default 1 but honestly, it shouldn't have been a hassle to get running at all and the clarity should have been, well, great. I have no issues reading any of the text anywhere even leaned back and casual.
That's interesting. Could you take a look at the Steam perfomance graph while inside a star port and on a planetary.

Maybe someone can help me with the quality presets. The higher presets change activate supersampling while leaving HMD quality at 1.0. That results in a blurry image for me. If I am switching the values, Supersampling to 1.0 and HMD image quality to 1.25 or 1.5, the image is much sharper and has less jaggies. But the performance is rather bad. I was just at the ancient ruins. Having set everthing to lowest setting except textures ans planetary material quality to the max, SS to 1.0 and HMD quality to 1.25 my overclocked 980ti could not hold 90FPS, dropped below 80 sometimes. It was dark and many CMDRs were present. But even alone in a RES at Leesti, where I was earlier, the system had drops below 90FPS at 1.5 HMD quality. Is that normal?

That's interesting. Could you take a look at the Steam perfomance graph while inside a star port and on a planetary.

So since the post I've done a lot of testing, I wasn't sure what you meant by steam performance graph unless you meant the frame timings but regardless I just did my own form; basically I found that VR High was flawless, Ultra caused some dips but both were actually quite lowballing on the settings; aka a bunch of things are set to Low / Medium : specifically I found MY most comfortable option being using the profiler to set everything from Texture to Jet Cones to "High" with Supersampling and HMD Image Quality to 1.00 with some small exceptions; Blur Off, DOF Off, Anti Aliasing None (honestly, didn't mess with these because I just don't care that much about them, they could probably all be on if I was concerned with it. I might up AA eventually.)

With this setup, I run buttery smooth - I mean BUTTERY SMOOTH in stations, zipping around stations, flying high on planets, low on planets, no matter WHAT is going on, this is seriously to me, the flawless setting for my setup.

However...with that said I tried to run Low VR with Supersampling 1.5 - Double-vision delay in stations. Tried 1.5 HMD quality in station again, on Low VR ; still the same problem. My conclusion simply being the SS and HMD Quality settings are indeed horrible in ED, but neh. Hardly a problem to me, given that I can set everything to High - maybe Ultra - set the HMD quality to 1.0 and the SS to either 0.65 or 1.0 and use a tool to tweak your HMD of choice and avoid the ingame settings in that regard. But.. frankly, I personally don't need to go further.

My buttery smooth setting is just that, buttery smooth, perfect, crystal clear to read everything and at most I might apply AA to get rid of minor jagged lines, but regardless altering the Vive's quality itself instead of using ED's settings would probably yield better results than having either of those ingame options above 1.0 short of running a SLI'd Titan X's or something :3 May be exaggerating a bit, and it varies depending on how picky you want to be about the dips when your talking about 1.25 settings and such, as mostly I found them entirely playable, minor, and not there the majority of the time but some are vastly more sensitive about frame-dips in VR than I am.

Also fairly important to bear in mind I do NOT enable reprojection or a-sync at all as to notice any dips at all below 90 that are legitimately noticeable so with these settings turned -on- raising SS or HMD Quality might have been possible and entirely smooth.

Last edited:
If you ram up rendering resolution, the CPU's influence on performance lowers, because the GPU is limiting. Therefore a better CPU won't help anything when you ramp up resolution.

I can monitor my CPU usage, it peaks...

Last edited:
Hi, after 700 hours of VIVE VR gaming, the sweet spot of settings are:
-Vive HMD supersampling with hardware (ChaperoneSwitcher) to 2.0
-In game supersampling downsampled to 0.65
-In game HMD quality 1.0

NOTE: I noticed in game HMD quality setting was worsened in some update. 2.0 setting did not anymore correlate to Vive hardware 2.0. That's why I turned back to putting hmd quality setting back to 1.0 and vive hardware setting to 2.0

Try them and enjoy. Otherwise I'm using VR Ultra settings mostly.
i7 old, 1070 OC, 16MB

- - - Updated - - -

And AA to SMAA

Hey, i recently fired up Elite after a few months off and i couldnt get it running without that judder and strobey lines everywhere but i tried your settings above and now it runs a treat so thanks! I can definatly see an improvement since i was last playing with the aliasing and the clarity of the text.

So since the post I've done a lot of testing, I wasn't sure what you meant by steam performance graph unless you meant the frame timings but regardless I just did my own form; basically I found that VR High was flawless, Ultra caused some dips but both were actually quite lowballing on the settings; aka a bunch of things are set to Low / Medium : specifically I found MY most comfortable option being using the profiler to set everything from Texture to Jet Cones to "High" with Supersampling and HMD Image Quality to 1.00 with some small exceptions; Blur Off, DOF Off, Anti Aliasing None (honestly, didn't mess with these because I just don't care that much about them, they could probably all be on if I was concerned with it. I might up AA eventually.)

With this setup, I run buttery smooth - I mean BUTTERY SMOOTH in stations, zipping around stations, flying high on planets, low on planets, no matter WHAT is going on, this is seriously to me, the flawless setting for my setup.

However...with that said I tried to run Low VR with Supersampling 1.5 - Double-vision delay in stations. Tried 1.5 HMD quality in station again, on Low VR ; still the same problem. My conclusion simply being the SS and HMD Quality settings are indeed horrible in ED, but neh. Hardly a problem to me, given that I can set everything to High - maybe Ultra - set the HMD quality to 1.0 and the SS to either 0.65 or 1.0 and use a tool to tweak your HMD of choice and avoid the ingame settings in that regard. But.. frankly, I personally don't need to go further.

My buttery smooth setting is just that, buttery smooth, perfect, crystal clear to read everything and at most I might apply AA to get rid of minor jagged lines, but regardless altering the Vive's quality itself instead of using ED's settings would probably yield better results than having either of those ingame options above 1.0 short of running a SLI'd Titan X's or something :3 May be exaggerating a bit, and it varies depending on how picky you want to be about the dips when your talking about 1.25 settings and such, as mostly I found them entirely playable, minor, and not there the majority of the time but some are vastly more sensitive about frame-dips in VR than I am.

Also fairly important to bear in mind I do NOT enable reprojection or a-sync at all as to notice any dips at all below 90 that are legitimately noticeable so with these settings turned -on- raising SS or HMD Quality might have been possible and entirely smooth.
Thanks for the insight. Wasn't really sure if you really played at native resolution only. I was hoping to get the game running smooth at 1.5x res for all situations, but it's impossible atm. I will try native resolution and crank up the details, maybe I can cope with jaggies.

I can monitor my CPU usage, it peaks...
I am sure it does. I guess it also peaks with everthing but textures on low settings, right? Everytime the game loads assets? And I guess it's not peaking after a minute in a RES, regardless of the graphic settings (native res or higher assumed).

Last edited:
Sorry for the question guys but can someone tell me if the scale issue is fixed with the Vive? Wondering whether it's worth while to swap out my DK2 with my Vive that's set up in another room.

Even though the Vive is higher res, higher framerate, better tracking etc, the DK2 is still better in ED simply because the world looks the right size (IMO).

Bruhs.

Passenger missions in VR. Just the best. Finally an excuse to get right up next to planets and just take in the view.

Sorry for the question guys but can someone tell me if the scale issue is fixed with the Vive? Wondering whether it's worth while to swap out my DK2 with my Vive that's set up in another room.

Even though the Vive is higher res, higher framerate, better tracking etc, the DK2 is still better in ED simply because the world looks the right size (IMO).

Yea...I have both and I have no idea what you're talking about. The scale (ships, bodies) looks exactly the same in both.

Me too scale looks the same as it did in a dk2.

indeed. And that being said, scale of your body in VR needs some improvements. limbs look small in the Rift or Vive. Really, the entire game would do well to play to scale a bit more. The window where we could appreciate a sense of scale is missed fairly often and it feels like a lost opportunity.

Someone suggested resetting your orientation on the Vive resolves this. Should be something in this thread somewhere. Hope it helps.

PS their introducing a new camera mode and would imagine they'd take VR into account.

CMDR Valleys

Is it just me or does anyone else walk around their ships bridge with a cup of tea using the Vive? :p "Tea, Earl Grey,..Hot!"

Last edited:
Is it just me or does anyone else walk around their ships bridge with a cup of tea using the Vive? :p "Tea, Earl Grey,..Hot!"

Not with a liquid but I do like to land on a planet with rings. I will walk around the cabin of my ship looking out the windows enjoying the views

So I'm running an R9 390 I get FPS drops and stutters in stations and RES sites. I'm looking into switching to nvidia because I just can't deal with AMD anymore. I want a 1080 but cost wise a 1070 is looking more likely. Does anyone have any issues with a 1070 on.let's say VR medium to VR high?

Last edited:
i run skylake 66000 OC to 4.6/16gb ddr4/evga 1070 and I get NO stutters or lag with everything on High and Ultra settings using Vive, its awesome! do not bump up supersampling however from steam Vr beta, just do it from the ED settings, incredible experience.

- - - Updated - - -

Indeed it is amazing isn't it, Vr was made for ED, i just did the jaques run from the bubble in VR and feel quite strange now after using neutron stars to jump, infact I almost blew chunks! so will not be doing that again!

I have the 1070 Gaming, and it works wonderfully. I always run the highest possible resolution and detail. Planets look awesome, and frame rate is smooth.

- - - Updated - - -

Indeed it is amazing isn't it, Vr was made for ED, i just did the jaques run from the bubble in VR and feel quite strange now after using neutron stars to jump, infact I almost blew chunks! so will not be doing that again!

ED in VR has changed my life (as my wife will tell you).

Top Bottom