(I find) PvP is boring...

Not the actual combat, mind you, but rather all the time sitting around waiting for said combat to occur. For every minute of epic battle I've enjoyed during this CG, I've spent who knows how many minutes (hours) sitting in supercruise or at the station just waiting for something to happen. And without a CG, sure there's random encounters around engineering, but nothing quite of the scale I've enjoyed this week.

Maybe Combat Zone CGs are different, where we're actually given both a location and a reason to fight? If so, does that mean PvP is fun like once per year in this game?

I'm just a hair trigger away from switching to Infinity Battlescape for my spaceship PvP pew-pew fun. Don't get me wrong, ED still has a lot to offer me, but I'm beginning to really think that PvP isn't one of those things. I just don't have the patience!

Last edited:
Join one of the PvP discord server, like ECCE. You can find organised PvP there. Balanced wing fights are a lot of fun.
No offense, but I'm just not a Discord / 3rd party / gameplay by committee / schedule video game fun on the calendar kind of guy. I'm a "let's use the in-game tools to see where the conflict is and join a side" kinda guy, which is how I've played all my other PvP games (FPS, MMO, MOBA, etc). That's why I would enjoy a CZ CG, as the game would define the when, where, and why, and how of the PvP. Unfortunately these CGs seem exceedingly rare.

I suppose I should rename this thread to "I find PvP boring", since it sounds like the Discord folks love their organized bowling PvP night. That's cool.

Also, in a game like Elite (where I find roleplay and immersion important), I want a reason for blowing up another ship, something beyond just "I like to make things go boom." Again, this is where an actual game-provided goal comes in handy, like a CG CZ.
That would be more than sweet. But, yeah... No, this will never happen in ED. That´s why I do organised PvP. If I want organic PvP I go and play IRacing. Much better framework.

And don´t be afraid, discord is just a tool. You could even meet someone you may like and/or find funny. :D

Cooperative role playing is preferred by a lot of older crowds. PvP isn't avoided because "git gud" is too hard, at least not for me. It's avoided because it's exponentially more repetitive than PvE, and even many of the PvPers only do it because they can co-op with other PvPers in guilds. PvP as a lone wolf seems pointless.

Even with my game wealth, I cannot envision risking my ships in a jousting competition, and I know many great players stop short of actually killing each other, like laying down the king I suppose with a "gg" and off they go. Still, there's something to be said for an adventure where co-op is happening.

Cooperative role playing is preferred by a lot of older crowds. PvP isn't avoided because "git gud" is too hard, at least not for me. It's avoided because it's exponentially more repetitive than PvE, and even many of the PvPers only do it because they can co-op with other PvPers in guilds. PvP as a lone wolf seems pointless.
Would have to agree. PvP is a constant game of oneupmanship and my-engineering-is-better-than-yours. I believe that PvP should be included in a special arena, like CQC for big boys.

Would have to agree. PvP is a constant game of oneupmanship and my-engineering-is-better-than-yours. I believe that PvP should be included in a special arena, like CQC for big boys.
Most of the higher end stuff isn't just about engineering, a lot is about maneuvering and rock/paper/sissors. He who comes in with the rock gets beaten by he who comes with paper, but the sissors ship is just around the way.

We need CQC with our ships. A lot of people would test their skillz if not much was at stake.

Also instead of searching the Galaxy for an opponent you would use a pan-universe matching service.

ignore me

As you wish.

Spontaneous wing fights were always some of the most exciting engagements, but they were inconsistent. Too much waiting around sometimes.

Hosting weekly PvP gatherings provided me with plenty of action for a long time, until I took a short break from the game. We’re getting that back on track soon enough.

I’m not sure what it’s like on other platforms, but over here on Xbox we have a fairly active and close knit PvP community. It come in waves of course, but it’s usually easy enough to find a fight if you really want one.

Discord is great for that sort of thing.

Top Bottom