I kind of want to know how this planet can actually exist in-game (Plio's Sphere)

1648303536071.png

It has a very high temperature (592 Kelvin (605.93 Fahrenheit for the other 'Muricans ) ) and is located very close to the star. It has no atmosphere or pressure to keep the ice in place. I want to know how this planet formed and how is it not a scalding hot WW. It's mostly ice and there isn't much rock/metal (and it'd have sank to the core anyways during formation, so it isn't why). Apologies if this would be better suited for the categories Exploration or Dangerous Discussion.

Feel free to go there yourself, I left the tag on the icy body open so you can map it. It's a pretty unremarkable system besides that one icy body and there are better things in that region you can visit though. This is Horizons and I don't own Odyssey so it might've changed there.

I've been trying to get answers since I posted this originally.
Send answers

i wanted to know a way it could exist besides being a bug. I know it shouldn't exist in-game (being a glitch) but is there any way it could in real life?

Last edited:
i wanted to know a way it exists besides being a bug. I know it shouldn't exist in-game but is there any way it could in real life?

It has a reasonably high orbital eccentricity of 0.3641, Earth itself has an orbital eccentricity of 0.0167, so you can see this is quite high, check the Orrery to see how far away it actually moves away from the star, that 692k maybe an average, or a peak if it is close to the star at the moment. It is quite possible it spends a lot of time far enough away from the star to be frozen most of the time!

It has a reasonably high orbital eccentricity of 0.3641, Earth itself has an orbital eccentricity of 0.0167, so you can see this is quite high, check the Orrery to see how far away it actually moves away from the star, that 692k maybe an average, or a peak if it is close to the star at the moment. It is quite possible it spends a lot of time far enough away from the star to be frozen most of the time!
Good catch. I did not realize that as I pay 0 attention to Orbital Eccentricity. I also found it while it was very close to it's star. Got pictures and landed on it (took a long time and my hull was very damaged because I was silly and undersized my thrusters)

edit: was also considering the possibility that it was a stripped away gas giant core like in your thread on KOI 1701 (which I have landed on, it was a literal blast)

and

Got pictures and landed on it (took a long time and my hull was very damaged because I was silly and undersized my thrusters)

Nah, undersizing the thrusters has nothing to do.
Just make sure you dont boost towards planet and control the vertical speed (higher the G of the world, lower angle of attack when descending)
Edit: extra care if you fly an Asp Explorer - they have notoriously bad brakes

Nah, undersizing the thrusters has nothing to do.
Just make sure you dont boost towards planet and control the vertical speed (higher the G of the world, lower angle of attack when descending)
Edit: extra care if you fly an Asp Explorer - they have notoriously bad brakes
Angle of attack was 0 degrees, I went directly downward for a bit and couldn't stop my speed. I don't fly an Asp explorer, I fly a Krait MK2 outfitted to explore (Very good fuel management, even without undersizing the tank) and did not boost towards the planet. 5d (lightly engineered) thrusters did not help and I took a fair bit of hull damage. It also happens to be unshielded and is in no way outfitted for planetary landings (The hangar bay is all I really use for planetary ops)

The orrery looks like this
1648306740027.jpeg

and I'm very sure most of the heat comes from the primary star and not the brown dwarf it orbits.

How far is the brown dwarf from the primary? The massive gravity might mean sublimated gases can't stay that way long or escape so get dragged down as solids.

How far is the brown dwarf from the primary? The massive gravity might mean sublimated gases can't stay that way long or escape so get dragged down as solids.
30 or so LS. The gravity should mean that it has a very thick atmosphere, and the temperature is too high for it to be a solid on the surface.

Edit: the temp of the brown dwarf is about 1160 kelvin. The primary star is 2130 kelvin, and the system is about 5 and a half million years old

"Hot ice" planets such as this one are an all-too-common occurrence in ED and have had threads devoted to them before. And no, such a world cannot exist in the real-world universe, even when we consider the likelihood that "ice" doesn't just mean "water ice". A working planetological definition of "ice" is "any substance which would be a liquid or gas at standard Earth-normal temperature and pressure, but is solid at it's current temperature and pressure". Thus, water can become "ice"; so can ammonia, or nitrogen, or oxygen, or even hydrogen if it gets cold enough and/or the pressure gets high enough. But there is no substance in the universe that is gaseous at 1 atm and 288 K, but then becomes solid at higher temperatures and lower pressures. All substances become more volatile, not less, when you heat them and reduce the pressure - it's basic physics. Anything definable as "ice" ought to evaporate into gas at 592 K in a vacuum. This planet should be a giant comet, flash-sublimating all that ice out into a giant atmosphere until the pressure gets high enough to attain equilibrium.

Anomalies like this are a result of the Stellar Forge, and the way it determines the presence or absence of an atmosphere: a simple binary switch. Stellar Forge creates all the planets, then atmospheres on the created planets are simply switched "off" at random, regardless of whether the reported surface conditions physically allow a "no atmosphere" planet to exist. The probability of the switch being "off" is inversely proportional to it's mass - high-mass worlds are much less likely to have "no atmosphere".

Planets that actually have their atmospheres switched "on" are much more likely to obey the laws of physics. You can still get "hot ice" planets, but the "ice" is kept solid at such high temperatures under the pressure of thousands or millions of atms of pressure. For example, if we assumed that the OP's planet's "ice" was indeed pure water ice, then the laws of physics state that a surface of solid ice at 592 K is still physically possible - if and only if the planet has a surface atmospheric pressure of over 100,000 atmospheres. Such planets can also be found in ED.

Last edited:
"Hot ice" planets such as this one are an all-too-common occurrence in ED and have had threads devoted to them before. And no, such a world cannot exist in the real-world universe, even when we consider the likelihood that "ice" doesn't just mean "water ice". A working planetological definition of "ice" is "any substance which would be a liquid or gas at standard Earth-normal temperature and pressure, but is solid at it's current temperature and pressure". Thus, water can become "ice"; so can ammonia, or nitrogen, or oxygen, or even hydrogen if it gets cold enough and/or the pressure gets high enough. But there is no substance in the universe that is gaseous at 1 atm and 288 K, but then becomes solid at higher temperatures and lower pressures. All substances become more volatile, not less, when you heat them and reduce the pressure - it's basic physics. Anything definable as "ice" ought to evaporate into gas at 592 K in a vacuum. This planet should be a giant comet, flash-sublimating all that ice out into a giant atmosphere until the pressure gets high enough to attain equilibrium.

Anomalies like this are a result of the Stellar Forge, and the way it determines the presence or absence of an atmosphere: a simple binary switch. Stellar Forge creates all the planets, then atmospheres on the created planets are simply switched "off" at random, regardless of whether the reported surface conditions physically allow a "no atmosphere" planet to exist. The probability of the switch being "off" is inversely proportional to it's mass - high-mass worlds are much less likely to have "no atmosphere".

Planets that actually have their atmospheres switched "on" are much more likely to obey the laws of physics. You can still get "hot ice" planets, but the "ice" is kept solid at such high temperatures under the pressure of thousands or millions of atms of pressure. For example, if we assumed that the OP's planet's "ice" was indeed pure water ice, then the laws of physics state that a surface of solid ice at 592 K is still physically possible - if and only if the planet has a surface atmospheric pressure of over 100,000 atmospheres. Such planets can also be found in ED.
so it's pretty much impossible huh? Thanks for the answer. It may be a little late but I appreciate it nonetheless.

Top Bottom