Ignoring or harming PvP in game design is contributing to ganking

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
If that attacker is a pirate, then is wasted time. If it is someone trying to stop merits in Powerplay, its wasted time.
If a player chooses to engage in an activity that wastes their time then that's up to them. For some, PvP is a complete waste of their time.

If both players are up for it, it'll happen - all it takes is for one not to be for it not to happen.

You can't know in advance, thats what the Open toggle is for, to pre screen what people supposedly want.

It's not the target's choice whether they are attacked or not - it's the choice of the attacker.

The target chooses to be in that location at that time in that ship.

Only in the eyes of the attacker - the player carrying valuables is seeking to profit from them - they need not play the role of "willing victim" if they choose not to.

This is an Elite game, pirates want valuables.

It is where players can engage with likeminded players - but where players may be thwarted by the choices of others.

Unless you all agree in advance (which is impossible in Open) you can never tell who is 'like minded'- coupled with FD advertising hostile players the scope of Open is about the unknown, rather than making everything plain.

Perhaps it would be prudent to test new system, but at start do it with attacker. So for party making interdiction: No logging out, and no waking out as long as there is other ship in instance, be it cmdr or NPC police. Lets see how fun that would be. Better be fast swatting out those cops to make escape.

If a player chooses to engage in an activity that wastes their time then that's up to them. For some, PvP is a complete waste of their time.

But its not a waste of time- its a valid game loop that has the victim pointing a gun at themselves saying 'I'll shoot and ruin your day' if it goes wrong.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
You can't know in advance, thats what the Open toggle is for, to pre screen what people supposedly want.
.... and in the
The target chooses to be in that location at that time in that ship.
Indeed. That some assume that that is an invitation to attack means that it is as prone to error as most assumptions.
This is an Elite game, pirates want valuables.
Of course they do - however it's not all about what they want in a game with other players who want different things.
Unless you all agree in advance (which is impossible in Open) you can never tell who is 'like minded'- coupled with FD advertising hostile players the scope of Open is about the unknown, rather than making everything plain.
It's not impossible - it just isn't done. I'm fairly sure that players could use ship names or callsigns to indicate whether they were "up for" PvP if they organised it.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
But its not a waste of time- its a valid game loop that has the victim pointing a gun at themselves saying 'I'll shoot and ruin your day' if it goes wrong.
Receiving demands with menaces may tick some players' boxes - but being mugged isn't "fun" for many. Valid game loop or not, if it's not "fun" then players can choose to leave at will.

Can you imagine using these arguments to justify mugging someone in real life? In this world of woke hysteria, just making such arguments would lose you your job and get your face all over the internet.

Of course, this is a game, not real life, and I'm sure that we all - rightly - have completely different standards of behaviour for each.
But still, arguing that someone deserves to lose their stuff because they have something you want and didn't do a good enough job hiding from you? Bloody hell.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Can you imagine using these arguments to justify mugging someone in real life? In this world of woke hysteria, just making such arguments would lose you your job and get your face all over the internet.

Of course, this is a game, not real life, and I'm sure that we all - rightly - have completely different standards of behaviour for each.
But still, arguing that someone deserves to lose their stuff because they have something you want and didn't do a good enough job hiding from you? Bloody hell.
Quite. The "I want what I want and I don't care what you want because the game lets me do it" argument doesn't really work in this context.

Perhaps it would be prudent to test new system, but at start do it with attacker. So for party making interdiction: No logging out, and no waking out as long as there is other ship in instance, be it cmdr or NPC police. Lets see how fun that would be. Better be fast swatting out those cops to make escape.

If credits were scarce and fuel and repairs properly scaled:

Traders would make the money, and be able to buy bigger and more powerful ships
Mercs would then be a natural hire for protection, and be able to afford decent ships
Pirates would scratch a living, the best being those who keep targets alive

Gankers would slowly lose out, having less money to spend, increasing bounties, and smaller ships that are always in disrepair.

Since gankers have no income stream (bar Powerplay orother niches) having small ships makes them much more vulnerable to C+P, BH, security and ATR, but especially against players with better ships.

Couple that with self awareness and skills, it would go a long way to do things subtly.

.... and in the

Indeed. That some assume that that is an invitation to attack means that it is as prone to error as most assumptions.

Its being weak while carrying something nice that is the invitation, thats how robbery works.

Of course they do - however it's not all about what they want in a game with other players who want different things.

And yet everyone is sat in the same shared galaxy with goals and objectives that oppose each other.

It's not impossible - it just isn't done. I'm fairly sure that players could use ship names or callsigns to indicate whether they were "up for" PvP if they organised it.

My names Rubbernuke and I'm a pirate? I think its easier to join a PG really or press solo.

IMO It is not spent well evading pin pricks. Which is what attempts at unasked for PvP are for me.

Its within your power to evade them using in game means, rather than pulling the plug though. If players did that, the game would be much more richer for it.

If credits were scarce and fuel and repairs properly scaled:

Traders would make the money, and be able to buy bigger and more powerful ships
Mercs would then be a natural hire for protection, and be able to afford decent ships
Pirates would scratch a living, the best being those who keep targets alive

Gankers would slowly lose out, having less money to spend, increasing bounties, and smaller ships that are always in disrepair.

Since gankers have no income stream (bar Powerplay orother niches) having small ships makes them much more vulnerable to C+P, BH, security and ATR, but especially against players with better ships.

Couple that with self awareness and skills, it would go a long way to do things subtly.

How could you balance the game after the recient cash for mining bonanza?

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Its being weak while carrying something nice that is the invitation, thats how robbery works.
Some players seem to think that they are entitled to anything that another player has - however the mark doesn't need to play along.
And yet everyone is sat in the same shared galaxy with goals and objectives that oppose each other.
PvE goals and PvE objectives, yes. PvP can be used to slow other players down, of course, but it is not a required part of any game objective or goal.
My names Rubbernuke and I'm a pirate? I think its easier to join a PG really or press solo.
It may be more profitable to see whether ones "clients" are interested in ones offering before attempting to strike a bargain.

Its within your power to evade them using in game means, rather than pulling the plug though. If players did that, the game would be much more richer for it.
But I do it legally. I menu log with a wicked laugh echoing through the aether. :D

Top Bottom