Ignoring or harming PvP in game design is contributing to ganking

How could you balance the game after the recient cash for mining bonanza?

I imagine the ship has sailed, but if FD were serious about the game they'd grasp the nettle. Prior to Horizons the game was like this. I can remember saving up for a week to buy a Cobra and going bankrupt on a dodgy deal, unthinkable things these days- everything comes at once.

Some players seem to think that they are entitled to anything that another player has - however the mark doesn't need to play along.

Then thats not dangerous or cut-throat, is it? If thats the view then Solo and PG seem better fits really.

PvE goals and PvE objectives, yes. PvP can be used to slow other players down, of course, but it is not a required part of any game objective or goal.

PvP can stop PvE, only if one party agrees the other is right. Thats......not logical in a game set in a hostile galaxy in a mode about random interaction.

It may be more profitable to see whether ones "clients" are interested in ones offering before attempting to strike a bargain.

Sadly its all rather artificial- if the same is required in features like Powerplay then the whole conceit is wrong.

Its within your power to evade them using in game means, rather than pulling the plug though. If players did that, the game would be much more richer for it.

But I don't have a responsibility to make the game anything, least of all to make it your interpretation of "richer". This isn't about combat logging, it's about fundamental differences in what each player believes the game should be.

My responsibility is to my enjoyment of the game, and therefore - to accomplish that - to the safety and well-being of my ship, cargo, and income.
It seems yours - quite rightly - is to your enjoyment of the game, and therefore, to pirate and turn someone else's work into your credits.

It's fun playing a character I suppose. But I'm not playing a character, I'm playing a dude who wants to relax, get his cargo safely to market, and to enjoy the currency rewards for doing so. And you don't factor into that. And since the best, most effective way to prevent you and other player pirates from interfering is to play in solo, that's exactly what I do. Admittedly that doesn't help you enjoy your game, but you stealing my hard work wouldn't help me enjoy mine. And since I have a mechanism to avoid you, I use it.

I bear you no ill will, but my game is better - for me - without player pirates like yourself having the ability to interact with me.

FDev have a responsibility to the game. I have a responsibility to my enjoyment of it. I don't have a responsibility to yours.

I'm a super new player but come from a combat flight sim background, and Elite is my first space sim. The lack of PVP is really surprising for me, I've played in Open exclusively and it's hard to find another player, let alone get some PVP in.

This sort surprises me, because compared to other MMO-style games I've played, I find Elite to be extremely non-punitive for loss. As long as you fly with a rebuy you can get back whatever you lost, and with mining being so lucrative, once you have a few hundred million in the bank - which is like, three or four mining trips, even in a small-ish ship? - I just don't have stress over loss at all.

From my perspective, FDev has offered huge amounts of ways to avoid loss - it feels extremely carebear on the scale of these things, and certainly compared to other games I've experienced. All of this would seem to be to encourage play in Open, but this thread demonstrates that actually, even with the near-removal of loss, plenty of people and maybe even the majority would rather play in Solo.

I've only been ganked twice, in both instances these "gankers" sent me friend requests and have gone on to completely reach out to me and help me learn the game. In the second instance, I got blown up, but immediately respawned, went and found my attacker, and interdicted him. We sparred a bit and he let me line up shots and really tried to help me get some practice in. So far, my impression is that the PVP community in this game is actually awesome, and really supportive. Sure, they might blow up your ship, but then they immediately offer help to make your ship better. And in a game where loss doesn't matter, I think that's cool.

But I don't have a responsibility to make the game anything, least of all to make it your interpretation of "richer". This isn't about combat logging, it's about fundamental differences in what each player believes the game should be.

My responsibility is to my enjoyment of the game, and therefore - to accomplish that - to the safety and well-being of my ship, cargo, and income.
It seems yours - quite rightly - is to your enjoyment of the game, and therefore, to pirate and turn someone else's work into your credits.

It's fun playing a character I suppose. But I'm not playing a character, I'm playing a dude who wants to relax, get his cargo safely to market, and to enjoy the currency rewards for doing so. And you don't factor into that. And since the best, most effective way to prevent you and other player pirates from interfering is to play in solo, that's exactly what I do. Admittedly that doesn't help you enjoy your game, but you stealing my hard work wouldn't help me enjoy mine. And since I have a mechanism to avoid you, I use it.

I bear you no ill will, but my game is better - for me - without player pirates like yourself having the ability to interact with me.

FDev have a responsibility to the game. I have a responsibility to my enjoyment of it. I don't have a responsibility to yours.

Without a base understanding there can be no foundation to build ecossytems of interdependent roles. Traders trade, mercs hunt pirates, pirates hunt traders for example.

If safety and income are paramount, you have modes that cater to that.

In a money scarce galaxy, being a light touch means less bounties, less damage via security and less cargo lost via destruction.

Good pirates don't kill the mark.
In money scarce galaxy what some would call "carebearish" behauviour would be way more common, and open mode even more deserted.

In money scarce galaxy what some would call "carebearish" behauviour would be way more common, and open mode even more deserted.

Then it would work, because people would become more thoughtful about what they did. It would then make features like Powerplay that let you off the leash more popular as well.

Without a base understanding there can be no foundation to build ecossytems of interdependent roles. Traders trade, mercs hunt pirates, pirates hunt traders for example.

Where did the requirement for these interdependent roles come from? Was it something that was promised in the feature list?
I mean on an actual feature list, not throwaway vague soundbites that are open to interpretation.

An ecosystem of interdependent roles sounds good in theory, definitely. But how would it work if you simply can't convince traders to paint targets on their backs for no good reason?

If safety and income are paramount, you have modes that cater to that.

I do indeed. But when I use them, people complain.

In a money scarce galaxy, being a light touch means less bounties, less damage via security and less cargo lost via destruction.

Good pirates don't kill the mark.

Bounties will always be irrelevant to the type of PvP attacker whose idea of fun is attacking someone who doesn't want to be attacked. Literally every MMO game ever that has tried this sort of system has found it didn't work.

It's not that in the 23 years since Ultima Online nobody has hit on that one magic implementation that makes it work, it's that it doesn't work.

And this is the fundamental thing you'll never overcome with the idea of PvP piracy, the type of person who would do it doesn't want to progress in the game, they want to stop other people progressing in the game because other people's frustration is their fun.

Top Bottom