Il2 BoS

No mate, no one will mock you, the bindings are utterly horrendous!

It's such a shame as the game is such fun.

IL2's bindings interface makes FDev's look to be world class - which is quite impressive...

I feel DCS bindings interface is the most atrocious. I haven't played DCS since I swapped HOTAS, because I have todo the bindings again...

The best bindings screen I've seen so far is X-Plane 11, it actually shows a pic of my hotas and visually identifies my buttons and axis as I press/move them to help with the bindings.

Broadsword calling Danny boy...

Congratulations!
You have successfully purchased:
- Ju 52/Зm Collector Plane

For £5... what's not to love & now I can hum the music from 'Where Eagles Dare'...

Hah, I had a blast carrying paratroopers and cargo (I always imagine I was carrying adult magazines for the troops in the front) in that lumbering tincan. One of my favorite DLC airplanes.

I can't properly explain the rush I have when flying at night over enemy territory to drop paratroopers, with enemy seachlights lighting parts of the sky, crossing al the fingers hoping no emeny fighters would show up... And the rush of successfully delivering a full cargo of adult magazines to sopme frontline airbase, then flying back while being pursued by 3 enemy fighters with a slow semi-crippled plane and dead turret crewman, diverting through allied airbases to draw the airbase machinegun fire to my pursuers...

This DLC is the best example on how hauling cargo can be a rush!

Last edited:
The only thing I don't like about the Ju 52/Зm Collector Plane, is that it's one of the few planes that make me wish for at least another magnitude of time acceleration (16x). It just takes so long to travel, and it's airbases are usually the furthest away from the front...

CoD has 16x time acceleration. Probably the only thing it has going for it compared to BoS. :LOL:
I can't comprehend for the life of me how they could have come to the asinine decision of removing the small speed bar with vital info like airspeed, altitude and most importantly heading. I'm ok with "full realism yadda yadda", but what with instruments too small to be read at a glance, or that damn P8 compass sitting exactly behind the Hurricane and Spitfire control columns 🙄...

It makes literally impossible to follow headings or having a general bearing on direction/position in the absence of visual clues or landmarks. At least there's still the map with live planes icons.

Still having some good old IL2 fun anyway, just had a mission that has been probably one of the best I had in any campaign since 1946. Technically just a transfer flight in my Hurricane, from Tangmere all the way to Manston to be assigned to a new squadron there. Of course I wasn't surprised at all when I met a wing of 109s apparently aiming for the blimps over Brighton, being that a scripted campaign mission a simple transfer looked suspicious enough. I had been cautious enough to gain sufficient altitude to have a bit of energy margin should the need arise, the Hurricane is hopeless against the 109 in a level fight.
What definitely surprised me was the "weapons failed" message as soon as I shot my first salvo at one of them, finding myself at the end of a dive with no energy, no guns and four angry Germans on my tail. My only chance was to fly as close as possible to the ground to bamboozle the IA into not firing at me, and hope for the best. This resulted in an absurdly fun low level flight, skimming tree tops all the way to Folkestone, near which I must have had the luck of crossing the space of an airfield with AA emplacements, since I saw tracers coming from the ground and after a couple minutes saw the 109s had broken chase and were circling near the town. At that point I was already past Dover and found the guts again to gain altitude and search visually for Manston. Such was the relief that as soon as I spotted a large grass airstrip I aimed squarely for that, landing with every possible disregard for any rule of approach. Only then I noticed I had actually landed at Margate, just a couple km away from Manston, and had to take off again! So short was the distance that I approached Manston a bit too impatient and almost stalled the plane before gaining enough speed from the take off, risking to crash a few hundred meters from my objective.

It's been such a thrilling ride that I didn't even notice flying the entire Chichester-Dover distance in real time, with no autopilot, relying only on visual clues outside the canopy. I hope to have some missions like that again.

...I can't comprehend for the life of me how they could have come to the asinine decision of removing the small speed bar with vital info like airspeed, altitude and most importantly heading. I'm ok with "full realism yadda yadda", but what with instruments too small to be read at a glance, or that damn P8 compass sitting exactly behind the Hurricane and Spitfire control columns 🙄......

Yup. CoD's compass is a bit rubbish, and there's not even an option to remove the control column from the view. It's really unhelpful and necessitates using the 'full realism GPS view' for navigation. Yeah, 'realism', 'great'.

As for the rest... that's super cool! One of my bomber intercept flights in a Hurricane was made all the more memorable by taking a hit early on that crazed the targetting glass. I still downed a decent number of the Fokkers (ahem) but it was an eventful flight.

Last edited:
CoD has 16x time acceleration. Probably the only thing it has going for it compared to BoS. :LOL:
I can't comprehend for the life of me how they could have come to the asinine decision of removing the small speed bar with vital info like airspeed, altitude and most importantly heading.

Are you referring to CoD or BoS? BoS still has that bar, you can turn it on using the "I" key (default).

Another important thing that Cliffs of Dover has over Battle of Stalingrad: the Cliffs of Dover! 😀

Source: https://youtu.be/KbySP4khgn0

(I didn't have neither a hotas nor head tracking back when I played 1946. If only I had!)
It'll also have this... the Team Fusion Cliffs of Dover add-on, Desert Wings...being released this summer on Steam and the IL2 website :)

They also have Dover, the castle and the cliffs in RoF...if you took a job as home defence you were stationed over there shooting down Zeppelins :)

ahdDfpr.jpg

Last edited:
Look whats coming

Hello!

Today there will be a very small issue of diaries for the reason that we are preparing a release candidate for version 4.008, which we told you about before, we are doing the final tests so there is a lot of work and little time. However, even if this DD is short, it’s still significant - because for the first time we will show you screenshots of one of the English planes that will be in Battle of Normandy – the Supermarine Spitfire Mk.XIVc.

In fact, this aircraft will have an additional modification with heavy machine guns, the Spitfire Mk.XIVe, but we will show you that version a bit later. This plane is quite different from the MK. IX Spitfire, which was previously included in BOBP. The main thing that catches your eye is the massive 5-rotor Rotol propeller, driven by the Rolls-Royce Griffon engine. To provide a much more powerful engine with sufficient cooling, radiators of a larger area are installed on the aircraft. Also, the tail area had to be increased for added stability.

The aircraft will be presented with two types of weapon configurations - modification "c" with two 20mm guns and 4 x 7.69 machine guns, and modification "e" with two 20mm guns and 2 x 12.7mm machine guns. A 150-octane fuel option will also be available causing the already powerful engine to develop up to 2,200 horsepower. Work on this legendary aircraft is at a rather early stage, but much has already been done as you can clearly see in a small selection of screenshots:

_Spit1.thumb.jpg.0a2ffb3c354e85628c9d8aca0ab217be.jpg _Spit2.thumb.jpg.c5a4b13d328b489a6c8cf07c6f2ab081.jpg

_Spit3.thumb.jpg.85b1cc707f29d4cbfea0b9d945c3bf57.jpg _Spit4.thumb.jpg.da4a5008b191310b8c98a3455f586bd8.jpg

_Spit5.thumb.jpg.fa1c9300c66a909c539c7c01e834528f.jpg

I tried Cliffs of Dover for a bit last night...can't get the damned Tobii set up right with Facetrack Noir....I felt like a bobblehead flying the aircraft, just couldn't get the sensitivity, the range of movement or anything so it felt right... My head kept sinking in the seat vertically or randomly looking at the seat pan if I moved my head at all...or raising way above the level of the reflector sight so it was of no use whatsoever. I'll try mess around with the curves a bit to see if I can suss it out but as it is now it's pretty unworkable :confused:

I tried Cliffs of Dover for a bit last night...can't get the damned Tobii set up right with Facetrack Noir....

To be honest I never got Tobii working right with Facetrack Noir in any game. It works reasonably in some cases but it never feels "right". You can disable some axis in the Facetrack Noir settings, in "tracker source" -> settings, then in "enable axis" disable X, Y and Z, keep only ywa, pitch and roll, that should stop the erratic movement of your viewpoint and it should no longer try to emulate your head position inside the cockpit..

I have grown to love Tobii, I actually disabled head tracking in most games and went full "extended view" only with cranked up angle limits, at first it doesn't seem natural to rotate the viewpoint with the eyes only, but after a short while I got used to it and it just works much more smoothly than with head tracking + extended view.

Unfortunately, there are a lot less games supporting Tobii than Track IR / Freetrack, and using Facetrack Noir is always a last resort thing, it just never feels quite right. On the games that do natively support Tobii, it just works wonders IMO.

To be honest I never got Tobii working right with Facetrack Noir in any game. It works reasonably in some cases but it never feels "right". You can disable some axis in the Facetrack Noir settings, in "tracker source" -> settings, then in "enable axis" disable X, Y and Z, keep only ywa, pitch and roll, that should stop the erratic movement of your viewpoint and it should no longer try to emulate your head position inside the cockpit..

I have grown to love Tobii, I actually disabled head tracking in most games and went full "extended view" only with cranked up angle limits, at first it doesn't seem natural to rotate the viewpoint with the eyes only, but after a short while I got used to it and it just works much more smoothly than with head tracking + extended view.

Unfortunately, there are a lot less games supporting Tobii than Track IR / Freetrack, and using Facetrack Noir is always a last resort thing, it just never feels quite right. On the games that do natively support Tobii, it just works wonders IMO.
I'll try disabling the xyz axes and see what that does...it's the insane head bobbing that's doing my head in...yaw and pitch are fine but I can't keep my head on the same level.

Edit: That kinda made it more bearable and playable...to a degree. I kept the x axis so I can lean over the side of the cockpit when taxiing though since that's not too off putting. All in all, like you I've got so used to the eyetracking function of the Tobii that I'm fairly useless without it. Trying to override my first instinct to follow stuff with my eyes and move my head instead is taking some time for me to get used to.

Strange I never had that issue when I used my old Track-iR and proclip...but after using the Tobii, the eyetracking has become second nature with games that support it.

Last edited:
I tried Cliffs of Dover for a bit last night...can't get the damned Tobii set up right with Facetrack Noir....I felt like a bobblehead flying the aircraft, just couldn't get the sensitivity, the range of movement or anything so it felt right... My head kept sinking in the seat vertically or randomly looking at the seat pan if I moved my head at all...or raising way above the level of the reflector sight so it was of no use whatsoever. I'll try mess around with the curves a bit to see if I can suss it out but as it is now it's pretty unworkable :confused:

Curiously in my case, I came in with the EDTracker+Opentrack combo starting from my ED profile and fully expecting to have to redo curves and filtering from the ground up, when instead it already worked perfectly with the same settings. Just plugged it in, aligned and there I was, (mostly) avoiding flat spins in a Hurry.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
I have just started with BoS without much previous experience in the IL2 series and I am finding it extremely off putting and complicated the key binding and understanding of all required binding elements and options.

I have spent 2 hours unable to properly set up the trimming keys and system. The fact there is no tutorial at all does not help much but the videos I tried to google out there do not fair much better. Most asume viewers are already familiar with most game systems so they are of little use.

Any help to understand how to properly set up the trimming key keys and how they are supposed to work in game is welcome. In the mean time I ll have to fly with the simplified piloting option on to avoid it plus all the minutiae about engine oil and water radiators and the like. Can’t see how managing all that can be any fun in a game except for those who actually seek a literal copy of real life conditions and tasks.

Last edited:
I have just started with BoS without much previous experience in the IL2 series and I am finding it extremely off putting and complicated the key binding and understanding of all required binding elements and options.

I have spent 2 hours unable to properly set up the trimming keys and system. The fact there is no tutorial at all does not help much but the videos I tried to google out there do not fair much better. Most asume viewers are already familiar with most game systems so they are of little use.

Any help to understand how to properly set up the trimming key keys and how they are supposed to work in game is welcome. In the mean time I ll have to fly with the simplified piloting option on to avoid it plus all the minutiae about engine oil and water radiators and the like. Can’t see how managing all that can be any fun in a game except for those who actually seek a literal copy of real life conditions and tasks.

Unfortunately I cannot help much in that specific case, due to straight line flights being somewhat sort in most cases, I never really used trimming like I frequently do for instance in X-Plane 11. However, several controls are aircraft-specific, so I wonder is some don't even have trimming. You'll notice the aircraft-specific thing mostly with flaps, some have fine-graided flap control, others just a few preset positions, others just a on/off. One DLC airplane, the Ju-52 cargo mule, has the flap interliked with the horizontal stabilizer control. Many others don't even have stabilizer control. Airbrakes for instance is another thing that only a few planes have. Wheel brakes is another thing that varies with each aircraft. Some have fixed landing gear.

Someone a couple pages back posted a channel by a guy explaining the basics of each individual aircraft (that's how I learned how to use flaps on the Ju-52). (*)

I suggest to bind the basics first, start flying a specific airplane and add the rest as you go. By basics I mean the obvious yaw, pitch, roll, throttle, plus flaps, landing gear, and a couple not so obvious, the individual left and right wheel brakes. You'll need these to taxi, and especially to stop the plane after landing without spinning out of control. Then add the fire triggers. Forget about all other kinds of wheel brakes for now. Although you may need, depending on airplane, to bind the rear wheel lock. Then add the rest of the stuff progressively as you start needing them, but beware that the plane you're flying may not have some of those controls.

With a bit of patience, and by adding the more detailed controls progressively instead of trying to bind everything in one go, you're in for a truly fantastic flight sim.

(*) - The channel I spoke about, courtesy of Glenn Fiddik in the previous page: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwV5RLX7mkaDy5gTIiuwGmg

Last edited:
....I have spent 2 hours unable to properly set up the trimming keys and system. The fact there is no tutorial at all does not help much but the videos I tried to google out there do not fair much better.....

I had a similarly frustrating time trying to trim the Hurricane in Cliffs of Dover. It turns (as best I could find out) out that the plane doesn't have trim adjustment. 'Oh how I laughed'.

Top Bottom