In system jumps.

Patience takes sleep.
So get some sleep once in a while and maybe then you will have patience?

Unless you think the people waiting for Star Citizen for 10 years have the best gamplay available (patience and all), then patience is just a euphemism for lack of meaningful content between instances.
Organize your thoughts for proper discourse. Trying to decipher what you're saying is trying my patience.
You mean to say that those who are waiting for Star Citizen are patient? No doubt. Not sure what that has to do with anything.
Part of understanding is that there are some things you just won't understand. Not everyone wants to be like you. Grade 3. Perspective. We aren't evasive or in denial. We're trying to protect a game mechanic we like. You don't need to understand why.

Part of understanding is that there are some things you just won't understand. Not everyone wants to be like you. Grade 3. Perspective. We aren't evasive or in denial. We're trying to protect a game mechanic we like. You don't need to understand why.

If only all discussions were as simple as "I don't have to explain my reasons to you. You should just accept it.".

I'm sure it would foster much greater understanding all round (!)

It is a more sophisticated way for discussions to tell how something can happen instead of always telling why things cannot happen.

So, the explorers think, their work could be less worth with microjumps. So, here is the solution: Don't use it!

... just a joke, here is the real solution:

- Microjumps can only happen to insystem stars with a Nav-Beacon, so this excludes unexplored/uninhabitat systems.

- As it doesn't make sense to give a nearby star ( few ls) a Nav-Beacon, there can be a minimum range of about 20000 ls.

- No special equippment would be needed, as we already have a jumpdrive.

Last edited:
  • Like (+1)
Reactions: NW3
My opinion on this: in contrast to other content like RNGineers or Grindians, which are subjectively mandatory in certain cases, exploring a huge multiple star system, or even visiting a populated one is not. In both cases there are plenty of smaller sized alternatives to pick from.

So this really falls under the category: "if you don't like it you don't have to do it". There are literally billions of alternatives. This was one of the premises of the procedural galaxy in the first place. Leave long boring journeys alone for those who, as weird as it sounds, enjoy them, and go find yourself a shorter journey.

It is a more sophisticated way for discussions to tell how something can happen instead of always telling why things cannot happen.

So, the explorers think, their work could be less worth with microjumps. So, here is the solution: Don't use it!

... just a joke, here is the real solution:

- Microjumps can only happen to insystem stars with a Nav-Beacon, so this excludes unexplored/uninhabitat systems.

- As it doesn't make sense to give a nearby star ( few ls) a Nav-Beacon, the can be a minimum range of about 20000 ls.

- No special equippment would be needed, as we already have a jumpdrive.

Could make it so you have to interface with the nav beacon to initiate the jump (this giving nav beacons more reason to exist), and further make it so the micro-jump only gets you within 1-2 thousand ls of the selected destination. This ensures there's still a chance of interdiction. In fact, pirates could just sit between the beacon and the station, right behind the exit point of the micro jump. Makes using the micro jump save time, but potentially leave you vulnerable since your position would be easy to predict.

• Like (+1)
So get some sleep once in a while and maybe then you will have patience?

Organize your thoughts for proper discourse. Trying to decipher what you're saying is trying my patience.
You mean to say that those who are waiting for Star Citizen are patient? No doubt. Not sure what that has to do with anything.
Patience takes skill is a false statement. Patience takes no skill at all. People willing to wait longer for something aren't more skilled than people not willing to wait. In fact, the skilled folks are those who usually don't wait, but forge their own way. Patient people can just wait for others to do it.

There's no skill in supercruise, none... zero. It's a time sink only, and the role playing of pretending it's not a time sink is convenient denial of the fact that it is a content-free time sink designed to create grind, just like mat gathering, just like guardian ruin lunacy. The lack of content is hidden in grind wall. You climb a steep hill for a long time to discover there's nothing on top of it, but heaven forbid someone reduce the gradient.

Ah, OP, if i see an Earthlike ill travel whatever distance to tag it.

Scale is important in ED for some of us players. The fact that there are distant objects where you just have to sit in SC to get to is actually an enjoyable factor of the game. I know for some people this might seem insane, but its true.

No to in-system jumps. Anything that removes options and any thought of what you do removes even more depth from the game in my view.

So no. It's fine as is.

If you don't like the long travel, don't it.

For the people calling it a time sink, what tosh. There is nothing in the game that forces you to take any long journeys. That's completely a player choice, like a lot of things that people call time sinks in the game.

No to in-system jumps. Anything that removes options and any thought of what you do removes even more depth from the game in my view.

So no. It's fine as is.

If you don't like the long travel, don't it.

For the people calling it a time sink, what tosh. There is nothing in the game that forces you to take any long journeys. That's completely a player choice, like a lot of things that people call time sinks in the game.
These argument styles can be used for both sides of the argument.

I highly doubt anyone who cannot stand super cruise times would be an explorer to begin with.

Everything in the game forces you to take long journeys, it's even a requirement for a certain engineer unlock. Besides, the benefit to long SC was taken away by FD when they nerfed long range SC mission payouts. Now it's just a time sink so the lifers can pretend they are elite special chair forces.

Patience takes skill is a false statement. Patience takes no skill at all.
Within context of this game, I disagree less strongly than I would about patience in general but I still disagree. People aren't equal. We're born to different parents and we experience different events. This game has several gradients. You do what you want to do and I'll do what I want to do. Just because you don't understand doesn't spoil the fun for you. As has been mentioned, there are plenty of smaller systems and I like my exclusive spots you haven't the patience for.

People willing to wait longer for something aren't more skilled than people not willing to wait.
There are many skills. Transferable skills, overlapping skills...like math, empathy or patience, for example. They all have their virtues and areas where they're relevant. To dismiss the relevance of something that let's me have something that isn't worth it for you to have so that you can have everything convenient makes me not want it out of a sense of exclusivity.
In fact, the skilled folks are those who usually don't wait, but forge their own way. Patient people can just wait for others to do it.
You go first. I'll learn from second hand mistakes where I can and trust my judgement when to make a move.

There's no skill in supercruise, none... zero. It's a time sink only, and the role playing of pretending it's not a time sink is convenient denial of the fact that it is a content-free time sink designed to create grind
It forces you to decide whether it's worth it for you to travel that far or not and this gives it value to me. It would shrink everything immensely. Have you any idea how long my "If you don't like it, then don't use it." list is for me to theoretically keep the game as difficult as it was when I enjoyed it most? It feels like because it's not a sim you want to slay all the "pointless" sim elements left in it. I agree it isn't ideal (I'd rather we had a maximum supercruise speed of 10MCR and we had no hyperdrive whatsoever).
The lack of content is hidden in grind wall.
Some grind in some areas are more excusable in others, especially when one side has alternatives and the other does not.
You climb a steep hill for a long time to discover there's nothing on top of it, but heaven forbid someone reduce the gradient.
You go to swim in the pool and discover it's only three feet deep for safety concerns.

• Like (+1)

Lestat

Banned
These argument styles can be used for both sides of the argument.
But you can't beat the argument there 400 billion systems of all different sizes. The user has a choice to pick either large systems or Jump and skip them for a smaller system.

I highly doubt anyone who cannot stand super cruise times would be an explorer to begin with.
Well for me it depends how I feel that day. It also depends how the System looks on the system map. I use Star Chart that has genreal prices. That helps me determine if it worth going all the way.

Everything in the game forces you to take long journeys, it's even a requirement for a certain engineer unlock. Besides, the benefit to long SC was taken away by FD when they nerfed long range SC mission payouts. Now it's just a time sink so the lifers can pretend they are elite special chair forces.
If everything was handed to you on a silver spoon then the question comes why play the game?

I have no issue with having to do the supercruise journey once to a place, it's the second or third time to the same place consuming x minutes doing nothing.

I am role playing a trader taking missions wherever I can get them. Last night I go to the mission board, it offers very few missions I can do in my Cobra. I pick two for 75k credits and forget to check the distance. Jump and realize I have 420000 ls to the destination which I have been to before. Cue best part of half an hour doing nothing. You can argue it was my mistake, but its a bore fest. I got interdicted as well which is part of the game but its always when I am close to the destination so effectively for huge parts of the journey I know nothing is going to happen. I then had to sort out family stuff and that was my game time for the evening. 1 jump, 1 interdiction evaded, 1 landing, thirty minutes of nothing.

You can argue my mistake, but it's not a good experience. I am happy that the first time I go somewhere I am exploring and it should take some time otherwise space is small. However there should be a perk to having done that which shortens the time next time. Jump points to hop between main stars or planets would seem to me a reasonable compromise that are unlocked by travelling to a location adjacent to that body. I dont think they should be unlocked by scanning the nav beacon either, that is too easy.

Lestat

Banned
I have no issue with having to do the supercruise journey once to a place, it's the second or third time to the same place consuming x minutes doing nothing.

I am role playing a trader taking missions wherever I can get them. Last night I go to the mission board, it offers very few missions I can do in my Cobra. I pick two for 75k credits and forget to check the distance. Jump and realize I have 420000 ls to the destination which I have been to before. Cue best part of half an hour doing nothing. You can argue it was my mistake, but its a bore fest. I got interdicted as well which is part of the game but its always when I am close to the destination so effectively for huge parts of the journey I know nothing is going to happen. I then had to sort out family stuff and that was my game time for the evening. 1 jump, 1 interdiction evaded, 1 landing, thirty minutes of nothing.

You can argue my mistake, but it's not a good experience. I am happy that the first time I go somewhere I am exploring and it should take some time otherwise space is small. However there should be a perk to having done that which shortens the time next time. Jump points to hop between main stars or planets would seem to me a reasonable compromise that are unlocked by travelling to a location adjacent to that body. I dont think they should be unlocked by scanning the nav beacon either, that is too easy.
See they did add a feature for players like you. You can buy exploration data to see the distance to a base or station. For some Role playing requires distance.

We can take Hutton Orbital, Alpha Centauri. It .22 LS away. I wish there were more systems like this. Make it .001%

Last edited:
Patience takes skill is a false statement. Patience takes no skill at all. People willing to wait longer for something aren't more skilled than people not willing to wait. In fact, the skilled folks are those who usually don't wait, but forge their own way. Patient people can just wait for others to do it.
Respectfully, a skill is something that is learned; something some people find difficult and others never learn. By my definition, patience is indeed a skill, one which my wife has never learned. :D

Lestat

Banned
Respectfully, a skill is something that is learned; something some people find difficult and others never learn. By my definition, patience is indeed a skill, one which my wife has never learned. :D

Sounds like some of my family members.

It's that time of the year again...

Yes, would be interesting to have some mechanic to allow in system jumps.
To those worried about scale: we don't stop using planes, because using horses would give a better sense of scale of our planet.

Maybe an option that allows you to jump X on a given direction within the system, without the option to adjust the heading after launch, and only if there is no cargo on the ship and have any missions where someone might be sent after you.

It never ceases to amaze me how many players don't want to fly their spaceship in a 'flying around in a spaceship' game.

Thats no flying my spaceship my friend - thats alt tabbing to play my fishing game when my Conda fly in a straight line. Patience? Achievement? Non of this I felt when game played itself in a background and my ship arrived to Hutton. And skill? Dont make my laugh.

Top Bottom