In system jumps.

Possibly, but lets see what the Q4 update brings. I am hopefull it will make supercruise a bit more interesting especially for explorers.

There are very few stations that are that far away so that's a bit of a stretch to say that.

That depends on what your personal threshold is before you start thinking, "Man. Sure hope I can start playing the game soon, instead of staring at this glorified loading screen." Don't even get me started on how tedious this is if you're a multicrewmember...

[up] That sounds like valuable addition to my idea, so it looks like:

- Microjumps can only happen to insystem stars with a Nav-Beacon, so this excludes unexplored/uninhabitat systems. (leaves the sense of scale for the Explorers)

- As it doesn't make sense to give a nearby star ( few ls) a Nav-Beacon, there can be a minimum range of about 20000 ls.

- Interaction with the Nav-Beacon at the main star is needed (more Integration of the Nav-Beacons to gameplay / greater Chance for pirates to find a victim)

- Microjump only gets the ship withhin a range of 1-2 thousand lightseconds to the targeted insystem star (gives pirates still the chance for interdiction games)

- No special equippment would be needed, as we already have a jumpdrive.

Not really a new idea there, well I suppose the font is new. I've suggested something similar previously as have many other players. It was part of the original concept of the Nav Beacon - but dropped as players felt it was too much of a bottleneck.

Not really a new idea there, well I suppose the font is new. I've suggested something similar previously as have many other players. It was part of the original concept of the Nav Beacon - but dropped as players felt it was too much of a bottleneck.
A similar system was actually in FDev's own early design documents. It included consumables that you could drop on likely paths to intercept and interdict someone out of a microjump.

A similar system was actually in FDev's own early design documents. It included consumables that you could drop on likely paths to intercept and interdict someone out of a microjump.

Yup, in early days FD was considering micro jump travel but majority of potential players said no to this.

But having insta jumps to places would make it the default way to travel. No one would use the long method if the short method is available. It's human nature. I would end up using it. Humans can't help themselves but use the easiest method. It's one reason why I don't want super easy ways to do stuff in the game. Like instant ship transfer, cheap mat broker transfers and Micro jumps.

1. Does this mean you want to protect People from themselves being lazy? Do you think they are not mentally strength enough to resist? Do you really think People Need your help, or are you trying to protect yourself, because you afraid of your own mental strength? :D

2. You are afraid that most People will use it as Standard, so this Proofs, that People really want it!;)

That depends on what your personal threshold is before you start thinking, "Man. Sure hope I can start playing the game soon, instead of staring at this glorified loading screen." Don't even get me started on how tedious this is if you're a multicrewmember...

I'm all up for speeding up the process and/or making it more intersting and maybe having a skill based optional system that is logical and not some stupid gimmick that speeds the journey up a bit (maybe have a bit of danger in it too, like the chance to damage your FSD drive), I just don't like instant micro jumps. To me making something super easy does not and will never enhance gameplay.

Yup, in early days FD was considering micro jump travel but majority of potential players said no to this.

As I recall the best argument for not having in-system jumps was 'if you don't like it don't go'.

Plenty of stations are close the arrival point and the map tells you where they are once you've surveyed the system. Missions give destination distance from the arrive point so you can choose and navigate - in navigational sense of navigating. IIRC correctly missions pay a bonus if you haul long distance but commodity markets I don't think do, not as far as I know. Time in supercruise is good for giving your paint that 'tired and emotional' battered look though.

I'm all up for speeding up the process and/or making it more intersting and maybe having a skill based optional system that is logical and not some stupid gimmick that speeds the journey up a bit (maybe have a bit of danger in it too, like the chance to damage your FSD drive), I just don't like instant micro jumps. To me making something super easy does not and will never enhance gameplay.

What about an FSD fuel injector? Press and hold a button to fire it. Consumes fuel. Major boost to acceleration and local top speed. Generates progressively more heat the longer it fires. Consumes more fuel the higher you are over the local top speed.

Shortens trips via an active mechanic. Makes supercruise more dynamic, and makes attempting to interdict someone more interesting. It also make auxiliary fuel tanks more attractive.

1. Does this mean you want to protect People from themselves being lazy? Do you think they are not mentally strength enough to resist? Do you really think People Need your help, or are you trying to protect yourself, because you afraid of your own mental strength? :D
Not afraid of my own mental strength. That has nothing to do with it. If it's more efficient and just as easy, people will use it regardless.

2. You are afraid that most People will use it as Standard, so this Proofs, that People really want it!;)
No not really. People will use it as standard as there is no viable alternative. It would be illogical not to.

Now if there are major risks and costs involved in the instant jumps, then yes it would still give options. Or have ways to speed up supercruise with risks and costs it would give options. I am all for that.

Personally I am all for speeding up supercruise but with risks and costs.

Last edited:
As I recall the best argument for not being against in-system jumps was 'if you don't like it don't use it'.

Sorry, but this is the same nonesense!

Again, player avoiding long supercruise times loses potential destinations. Player choosing to not use the hypothetical shortcut loses nothing. Not an equivalent exchange.

What about an FSD fuel injector? Press and hold a button to fire it. Consumes fuel. Major boost to acceleration and local top speed. Generates progressively more heat the longer it fires. Consumes more fuel the higher you are over the local top speed.

Shortens trips via an active mechanic. Makes supercruise more dynamic, and makes attempting to interdict someone more interesting. It also make auxiliary fuel tanks more attractive.

Yep, something like that would be good, I would also have it that there is risk to damage to your FSD drive with the possibility of a malfunction that causes an emergancy supercruise drop out.

That would give options. The risky but faster way that will cost more or the slower but safer route.

I am afraid I also disagree with the OP. As many have said previously, in system distances like the OP describe add scale to the game. I oftem take long distance missions for the fun of it usually in the 5-60kls range but did a 500k+ls one once just to see how long it took, it took around 20mins iirc but not a problem I just went and made a cup of tea but you could just as well check your email, read a book or a host of other things. Never say never but you are highly unlikely to be attacked in an undiscovered system 500k+ls from the entry point so lots of things to pass the time.

Sure, that is why we can jump 70 ly in 20 seconds, but need 40 minutes for 500k ls :)

This design choice is something I've never understood and was my biggest gripe with the game when I first started in 2015, then I reluctantly accepted it with time.

It's like saying it takes me more time and effort to take away the trash in the morning than reaching a whole other continent, it doesn't make any sense.

Hyperspace should be a serious commitment, that opens up gameplay possibilities where I can fix broken modules, avoid thargoid hyperdictions, start scanning and analyzing the system I'm about to jump into via an orrery map and starting to plot my route from there for uss, asteroids to mine and czs, and maybe doing all of this with spacelegs. That's what I always thought the devs were aiming for.

Apparently they just want a non interactive loading screen where you alt tab, check mails, reddit and the forum just to find a bunch of people that call downtime zero interaction gameplay "flying around in a space ship" and "patience skills".

Then don't do it.

But what is good about doing nothing in a ‘game’ when you are ‘travelling’? How is this either fun or a good ‘game’? To hell with the sense of scale (which, to me anyway, i think would still be there).

This ‘game’ got too many ‘optional’ activities - i.e. stuff that’s so dull that people don’t bother with ‘em.

Last edited:
But what is good about doing nothing in a ‘game’ when you are ‘travelling’? How is this either fun or a good ‘game’? To hell with the sense of scale (which, to me anyway, i think would still be there).

This ‘game’got too many ‘optional’ activities - i.e. stuff that’s so dull that people don’t bother with.

The number of people that will defend waiting and literally doing nothing for dozens of minutes as good game design, and "difficult" is just... astonishing.

I am afraid I also disagree with the OP. As many have said previously, in system distances like the OP describe add scale to the game. I oftem take long distance missions for the fun of it usually in the 5-60kls range but did a 500k+ls one once just to see how long it took, it took around 20mins iirc but not a problem I just went and made a cup of tea but you could just as well check your email, read a book or a host of other things. Never say never but you are highly unlikely to be attacked in an undiscovered system 500k+ls from the entry point so lots of things to pass the time.

I would be fine with that if we could leave our seat and walk around and do other activities. A mechanic that basically locks you out of playing the game by forcing us to stare at the screen is not a good game mechanic, regardless if it helps us to appreciate the scale. Well at least we have galnet audio now...

Top Bottom