Inspired by EVEonline

I think player factions are already a thing? Are they not?
Player factions are a thing, but you have no more control over that faction than any other NPC faction in the game^... because fundamentally, players do not belong to factions. They belong to squadrons which are a whole other generally unrelated construct.

^ Beyond whatever 'control' FD affords you through the requisite of associating your player group (not your squadron). As a leader of a group who's made numerous CG/other requests to FD, that 'control' is virtually nothing.

Having a PMF in the game and pledging to them with your squadron is no different at all to pledging to any arbitrary NPC faction, noting any number of squadrons can pledge to a faction, and it still confers zero control over that faction.

Last edited:
BTW I can never understand why game developers don't create ingame advertising. The capability is there, as the gamer enters a space station they are surrounded by fictional adverts so why doesn't frontier offer realworld advertising instead?

Please delete this post immediately. If I ever see a non fictional advertisement in ED it's game over.

Seriously, are we not bombarded with enough crap ads every day until nausea?? I know I am.

BTW I can never understand why game developers don't create ingame advertising. The capability is there, as the gamer enters a space station they are surrounded by fictional adverts so why doesn't frontier offer realworld advertising instead?
There were actually plans for this. Real world advertising, paid for by companies; the adverts would have the ED-theme around them, but there was a possibility of seeing a "3301 Space Cola" advert. :p

Please delete this post immediately. If I ever see a non fictional advertisement in ED it's game over.

Seriously, are we not bombarded with enough crap ads every day until nausea?? I know I am.
I don't know about "bombarded" but the adverts would be on the holo-boards around the station.

I don't know about "bombarded" but the adverts would be on the holo-boards around the station.

Reading some of the over-reactions you would think theyre being transmitted directly into the brain , personally i could care less if they used the billboards around stations .. i look at it like this - if the company (FD) are making money then developement will continue , Ads would be a tidy revenue for FD and would i think keep production coming for many years.

Regarding your 1st post. It would not get my vote***... it is not that i think it could not be a good game, it certainly could! (just not one i would buy)... but it is not Elite imo, and with so many features which FD advertised to get my money which are obviously missing, I personally would be put out if what would clearly take a huge amount of time out of other parts of the game was spent on something which is totally from left field and not something ever envisioned.

Regarding the above quote..... You gotta remember the game is set 1300 years into the future.... now, it is true there are (literally a very small) handful of companies today which did exist over 1000 years ago - generally pubs / hotels i think - but in general I think it is highly unlikley many companies of today would be in a recognisable state in >1000 years from now.
In game advertising if done in the right game I am not that against....... racing games / football games or open world modern day games like i dunno, The division some advertising would fit in ok.... but imagine seeing an nvidia or AMD advert in Elite Dangerous..... it would be almost as jarring as seeing a coke advert in Skyrim imo.

*** in a hypothetical scenario where FD were completely honest and left every ED dev working on ED and used your spin off idea as one of their new IPs (Elite Skirmish???) and put an entire separate team on, and treated it like a whole new ip just like their other games but that was then tied into ED some how in theory i would not moan about... but can anyone really imagine that happening.

I've never been a fan of subscription games and was satisfied when Frontier ruled out the possibility very early on.

If they hadn't; maybe we wouldn't have had to have this P2P model that's often atrocious for online gaming (except in small groups, ala Warframe but even there, social hubs are a nightmare of glitching and rubberbanding) and instead enjoyed a client/server modal and all the joy that brings.*

* Then again, one wouldn't need a subscription modal for this. ESO does it just fine and their subscription is entirely optional.

Ah well. P2P was the cheap route; and it works for the most part. C’est La Vie

"... her English ..."
lolol

Also, this comment on the video is gold:

Last edited:
If they hadn't; maybe we wouldn't have had to have this P2P model that's often atrocious for online gaming (except in small groups, ala Warframe but even there, social hubs are a nightmare of glitching and rubberbanding) and instead enjoyed a client/server modal and all the joy that brings.*

* Then again, one wouldn't need a subscription modal for this. ESO does it just fine and their subscription is entirely optional.

Ah well. P2P was the cheap route; and it works for the most part. C’est La Vie
a few things really....
I think at some point a developer needs to look at the game they want to play and then build the foundations around it.... Some games I get, do perhaps need a full server and need continuing funding to survive, hence the need for either big P2W mechanisms to attract whales or subs.... Others dont.

The game I want ED to be, is also the game FD pitched ED to be at the start. As such I paid what is objectively a silly amount of cash for 1 game - esp when others paid far less to get exactly the same content that I have.... However Elite has always been a passion of mine, and Bell&Braben were 2 of my gaming childhood heroes so i was happy to splash the cash on faith that DB / FD would get the game made.

to now suddently charge subs....... that would be a very bad thing imo. IF FD wanted to do it with all new accounts, that is up to them, but to do it to existing accounts (unless they offered people full KSer refunds which aint gonna happen) then the whines would be legendary, and also the loss of faith to FD as a company would imo be far more damaging than the few extra quid FD would make.

FD do need to carry some of the blame imo.... Since the KSer FD have imo sold the game to a large number of gaming demographics who are often mutually excluisve (how do you have 1 player who wants burnout on the same track as a player who wants iracing and not get problems???)

For the most part the P2P works fine for an optionally MP game with a full MMO like BGS (and that part is full server control). its not perfect and it is still not what i would do if ED was my game - but it isnt - imo FD have saccrificed too much in the goal of multiplayer. imo most of the things wrong with ED ultimately comes down to this multiplayer forced content which FD seem insistent on doubling down on.

to now suddently charge subs....... that would be a very bad thing imo. IF FD wanted to do it with all new accounts, that is up to them, but to do it to existing accounts (unless they offered people full KSer refunds which aint gonna happen) then the whines would be legendary, and also the loss of faith to FD as a company would imo be far more damaging than the few extra quid FD would make.
I wouldn't force the subs on to people; rather provide the option to sub if a player so chooses. The sub could provide, for example, a monthly Arx stipend; faster ship transfer speeds (lore-wise: "Premium customers" which already exist in the real world, so .. why not), access to all DLC's for as long as you are subbed and so on. Nothing overly crazy, but enough incentive to want to get it. Elder Scrolls Online for example, does this and I think, quite well. Though their online store is quite pricey. :(

I think at some point a developer needs to look at the game they want to play and then build the foundations around it.... Some games I get, do perhaps need a full server and need continuing funding to survive, hence the need for either big P2W mechanisms to attract whales or subs.... Others dont.
Hopefully there will never be P2W in ED.

The game I want ED to be, is also the game FD pitched ED to be at the start. As such I paid what is objectively a silly amount of cash for 1 game - esp when others paid far less to get exactly the same content that I have.... However Elite has always been a passion of mine, and Bell&Braben were 2 of my gaming childhood heroes so i was happy to splash the cash on faith that DB / FD would get the game made.
Unfortunatly what we want isn't always what we'll get. The early dev videos promised quite an experience; but I know it'll take a long time to bring most (if not all) of that stuff to light.

FD do need to carry some of the blame imo.... Since the KSer FD have imo sold the game to a large number of gaming demographics who are often mutually excluisve (how do you have 1 player who wants burnout on the same track as a player who wants iracing and not get problems???)

For the most part the P2P works fine for an optionally MP game with a full MMO like BGS (and that part is full server control). its not perfect and it is still not what i would do if ED was my game - but it isnt - imo FD have saccrificed too much in the goal of multiplayer. imo most of the things wrong with ED ultimately comes down to this multiplayer forced content which FD seem insistent on doubling down on.
The problem I think, is that Frontier started to drift around, unsure of that they wanted ED to be, they spent time trying to please everyone instead of going "Whilst we love your feedback, please understand that this is our game and this is the direction we want to take it."

The problem I think, is that Frontier started to drift around, unsure of that they wanted ED to be, they spent time trying to please everyone instead of going "Whilst we love your feedback, please understand that this is our game and this is the direction we want to take it."

I think frontier has succeeded in ensuring the game remains fundamentally an upgrade to 1984Elite. What I am suggesting is a smallscale rival to eveonline as a seperate addon in a seperate distant part of EliteUniverse inwhich gamers create their own empires and invite upto 50 gamers to join them to minimize major lagtime issues during empire wars. The fundamental mechanics already exist so creating and deploying this addon shouldn't require too much additional development work

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
I think frontier has succeeded in ensuring the game remains fundamentally an upgrade to 1984Elite. What I am suggesting is a smallscale rival to eveonline as a seperate addon in a seperate distant part of EliteUniverse inwhich gamers create their own empires and invite upto 50 gamers to join them to minimize major lagtime issues during empire wars. The fundamental mechanics already exist so creating and deploying this addon shouldn't require too much additional development work
Would it not be more likely that the developers of the other game would add a twitch flight model to their game instead?

I think Elite needs first legs and atmospheric planets... No other new feature will be welcome before those ones.
I get your point and certainly want those before the PvP shizzle the OP wants.

but i would take a fully flavoured npc complement - both crew and wings - complete with rpg lite elements such as training / levelling / what ever as well as the potential for betrayal and what not and different npc traits that was talked about back in the day, before either of your suggestions too....

FD have teased so much stuff that we all got hooked on different things and as such i cant imagine it is going to be easy for FD to please the majority of existing players (who arnt already perfectly fine with what we have of course).

New players who didnt follow the games development and with no preconceptions i think may be easier to make happy.

Top Bottom