Investigation into the "Mysterious Stranger"

Hi there,

Will try to follow it up when I get a chance, unfortunately I'm on holiday right now in order to perform my yearly pilgrimage to EGX, so I'm not at a machine with which I can try to repro this (neither released build nor dev)

Thanks,
Dom
No worries, enjoy EGX duder! :D

Dunno about this Mysterious Stranger, but this is the first downed ship I've done since the beta where I didn't get a tip off from scanning the data core. Was collecting materials and saw the black smoke easily against the background and went to investigate. Got nothing for the trouble. Last time I did this, it started a mission chain.

44770888772_4b3a11a260_h.jpg

ShadowWolf, that's interesting. I can't say that I've ever had a mission chain start from a crashed ship. Do you have any more details on this type of mission chain?

So in honor of looking for something different to do, AND in honor of finding this thread a bit back, I decided to follow up on the recent Mysterious Stranger Tip Off I received a couple of days ago.

Where did I get it? Well I was running courier missions for faction rep in the Leesti area at the time. I went to Comms to clear a bunch of "your rep changed" messages and found the Tip Off at that point. I cannot say for certain which system I was in when I got the message and faction rep was likely somewhere between Cordial and Allied in any given system. I know that's a broad brush but it's the best I can do on those points.

I am Triple Elite and have been for some time now. This is not my first Tip Off but I generally ignore and delete these messages.

The destination was Draunetes 2 A. See screenshot for mission text.

cpwf3Oa.png

The Mission Log downloaded at the site was a Mayday call.

0VKabST.png

And I received a Ship Wreck Data Package. Also picked up one canister of Fish and one canister of Consumer Technology.

SFTlrRd.png

The crashed ship was a Sidewinder.

6kWRlhM.png

I am not sure if it is related or random but I was jumped by a wing of two Pythons upon entering the system. I had no cargo onboard at the time and I am clean throughout the galaxy and am not affiliated with any PP factions.

Edit: Upon further examination of the immediate area (for mats) I found a Public Data Point about half a click out from the crash. Alliance based data package.

I hope this helps in your investigation.

Fly Safe Commanders.

Last edited:
So in honor of looking for something different to do, AND in honor of finding this thread a bit back, I decided to follow up on the recent Mysterious Stranger Tip Off I received a couple of days ago.

Where did I get it? Well I was running courier missions for faction rep in the Leesti area at the time. I went to Comms to clear a bunch of "your rep changed" messages and found the Tip Off at that point. I cannot say for certain which system I was in when I got the message and faction rep was likely somewhere between Cordial and Allied in any given system. I know that's a broad brush but it's the best I can do on those points.

I am Triple Elite and have been for some time now. This is not my first Tip Off but I generally ignore and delete these messages.

The destination was Draunetes 2 A. See screenshot for mission text.

The Mission Log downloaded at the site was a Mayday call.

And I received a Ship Wreck Data Package. Also picked up one canister of Fish and one canister of Consumer Technology.

The crashed ship was a Sidewinder.

I am not sure if it is related or random but I was jumped by a wing of two Pythons upon entering the system. I had no cargo onboard at the time and I am clean throughout the galaxy and am not affiliated with any PP factions.

Edit: Upon further examination of the immediate area (for mats) I found a Public Data Point about half a click out from the crash. Alliance based data package.

I hope this helps in your investigation.

Fly Safe Commanders.

Thanks for the report CMDR. Each report brings the secrets one step closer.

Tip-off received at Vries Base in Duamta, on 10/03/3304. Was dropping off mission cargo.

Cordial to friendly with most Federation minor factions in system. Allied with Federation, pledged to Hudson, rank of Petty Officer.

Combat - Novice, Trade - Merchant, Explorer - Trailblazer

Destination - Dhruva, Dhruva 2 c (no planetary installations), Coords (LAT 25.52, LON -164.59)

"The location of a crashed ship carrying some interesting data has been made known to us. Our source tells us a clean up crew is on the way so you only have a few days to collect the data.

You will find the site in the Dhruva System, on Dhruva 2 c. These co-ordinates will get you there: Lat: 25.52, Lon: -164.59.

We've taken the liberty of uploading an encryption key for the core to your systems.

Throttle up for this one, you need to get there quickly.

You need to find the place quickly, Commander. Good luck out there. Expires on: 10/10/3304."

Found what appeared to be a wrecked Cobra in a canyon. Picked up three canisters - Coltan, Consumer Technology, and Military Intelligence. Hacked the ship's data point, and got the following message:

"Oh my gods... It can't be... These things are a myth..................... That noise....................."

Jumped back to my home system, Luyten's Star. Docked at McNair Gateway in the hope that I wouldn't be scanned. No black market to sell Military Intelligence. Sold intelligence data to station authority contact for 837k CR. Jettisoned Military Intelligence canister when I left (apparently they aren't worth more than 40k...and I don't smuggle into my home station, Ashby City).

I dunno about this Mysterious Stranger, and never met them in Fallout either (yet). However, this does make me think of a paint-job or crashed ship and audio logs celebrating ..

The Silver Shroud...

My question is this: is this the same guy that comped you your original Sidewinder? If I remember the letter you got with your SW correctly, it said that the ship as well as all future insurance payments were payed for by a 3rd party benefactor. That's why loaned SW rebuys are 0CR

Received: Ashby City, Luyten's Star (12 OCT, 3304)

System Rep: Allied with all Federation factions in system...allied with Sirius Corp. Federation Rank (Warrant Officer, Allied Rep)

Ranks: Novice, Entrepreneur, Pathfinder

Destination: Col 285 Sector TY-O b20-6 1 a (Lat: -55.39, Lon: -175.03)

"They hit the surface pretty hard, but it all looks a bit too neat and tidy. We're checking into a false insurance claim. Can you recce this crash site for us, Commander? We'll compensate you for your time..."

Found a crashed Anaconda. Laying about were 4 occupied escape pods, tactical data, prototype tech, and a cargo container holding some level 3 materials.

Scanned message read: "Mayday! This is exploration vessel JPR-II. We have his an anomaly which has caused our FSD to overload. All instrumentation failed. We have no idea where we are. Mayday. I repeat. Mayday."

Returned to Ashby City and sold the picked up cargo, got roughly 1.1mil CR for the data.

As I was leaving the crash site, there were POI indicators (blue circles) all around and an NPC Python patrolling about. Was late at night and I had to go to work the next morning so I wasn't able to look around. Went back a few days later...crash site was still there, this time marked in my locations panel. More canisters and pods had spawned, but no POI markers could be seen from above the crash site...no NPC ships either. However, another commander showed up shortly after I arrived. Said he got the same tip-off.

Robigo - dropping off passengers (criminal masterminds). Referenced question about insurance fraud. Took me to opposite side of the bubble (about 500 ly) Crashed anaconda with message concerning FSD failure. Data turn in paid about 600 k.

Received a second one doing the same thing at Robigo, did not pursue it.

Last edited:
Greetings. Thought I'd check to see if you're still acquiring data for this project. The last post was a while ago.
I just received a TIP OFF message from the mysterious stranger asking me to retrieve the rest of a data packet (the 'first' portion of which 'one of their associates' has already intercepted).
Another question I'd like to ask is: will I need an SRV for this mission? The mission is some 300LY away from my current location, so I'm not inclined to go unless I have a chance of getting the goodies.

Greetings. Thought I'd check to see if you're still acquiring data for this project. The last post was a while ago.
I just received a TIP OFF message from the mysterious stranger asking me to retrieve the rest of a data packet (the 'first' portion of which 'one of their associates' has already intercepted).
Another question I'd like to ask is: will I need an SRV for this mission? The mission is some 300LY away from my current location, so I'm not inclined to go unless I have a chance of getting the goodies.

You basically always need an srv to do these tip off missions. Just be aware that the goodies are not usually not worth the time (~1 million credits is relatively typical for the data packet thing) , and the thing to scan can be bugged/missing. They do make for a nice change of pace, and the more people we have doing these missions the better to understand them etc.

You basically always need an srv to do these tip off missions. Just be aware that the goodies are not usually not worth the time (~1 million credits is relatively typical for the data packet thing) , and the thing to scan can be bugged/missing. They do make for a nice change of pace, and the more people we have doing these missions the better to understand them etc.
Thanks for the reply. I agree that the number of credits paid may not be all that alluring. I would also do these for the adventure or change of pace, as you mentioned.
I've achieved rankings and status while still having many things that I've not-yet even tried. I haven't tried an SRV yet. I haven't mined a single grain of anything yet. This is a good thing...

Last edited:
I just received another TIP OFF message from the mysterious stranger. Here are the circumstances which generated the message. I returned to Quator Station in the Quator system with a bunch of cargo from salvage missions. I turned in two Personal-Effects salvage missions to the Alliance Rapid-Reaction Corps faction. I was already maxed out on rep with this faction from performing numerous missions with them. I spent a lot of time in the system recently due to the CG that ended today (Mon, Oct 28, 2019), although the CG didn't really involve this faction.
After turning in the first of the two missions, the mission-completion screen displayed a message at the top (as mission completions always do). It was from Progenitor Hayden Landry about how I have really stepped-up & responded to the extraordinary circumstances and needs they are experiencing. (This isn't verbatim. Part of the problem in reporting these is that the messages are somewhat routine. When cranking many of these missions, most of us probably barely read them.) When you discover that it would have been useful to know their contents more exactly, it's too late.
After turning in the second of these missions, the Progenitor's message on the mission-completion screen was the same EXCEPT it was appended with something like: 'Quid pro quo, here's something for you. Check your inbox' Then I heard the message tone go off. (Again, this isn't verbatim, because I had already closed the mission-completion screen to look at my inbox. unfortunately you cant get that back, so I couldn't grab a screen shot - darn it!)
The location is again over 300LY from my current position. As much as I love a "mysterious" story line, that's distant for me and for the game-play ambitions that I have at the moment, so I doubt that I'll be cruising out there.

I'm allied with 3 factions in the Quator system: Alliance Rapid-Reaction Corps, Independent Leesti for Equality, and Bruthanvan Co.

In case the image isn't legible, the location is Moraikda 1 in the so-named system. I believe that the coordinates are legible. My trade rank may look like it just changed, but I earned the promotion to that rank about 30 jumps before (that's quite a number of combat forays for the CG that was ongoing at the time, missions, etc.).

Hope this is a little helpful...

Hi All,

I just jumped into this thread as I had received a tip-off mission a while back that I'd posted in the Hunt for Raxxla thread and thought I should cross-link it for your reference.

I was specifically running missions for The Dark Wheel, and received this after paying 1M donation, which turned into a specific delivery mission for three units of basic medicines, and after performing that received the tip-off.

I'm still focused on 'Operation Less than Three' so any tip offs I've gotten (3 to date) have only come from TDW or it's direct allied partners.

If I encounter any further tip-offs I'll keep track of the specifics asked for in this thread and post here again.

Fly Dangerously.
/ Ra

Hi All,

I just jumped into this thread as I had received a tip-off mission a while back that I'd posted in the Hunt for Raxxla thread and thought I should cross-link it for your reference.

I was specifically running missions for The Dark Wheel, and received this after paying 1M donation, which turned into a specific delivery mission for three units of basic medicines, and after performing that received the tip-off.

I'm still focused on 'Operation Less than Three' so any tip offs I've gotten (3 to date) have only come from TDW or it's direct allied partners.

If I encounter any further tip-offs I'll keep track of the specifics asked for in this thread and post here again.

Fly Dangerously.
/ Ra
Thank you - I've saw your data submissions of the TO investigation forms

After turning in the second of these missions, the Progenitor's message on the mission-completion screen was the same EXCEPT it was appended with something like: 'Quid pro quo, here's something for you. Check your inbox' Then I heard the message tone go off. (Again, this isn't verbatim, because I had already closed the mission-completion screen to look at my inbox. unfortunately you cant get that back, so I couldn't grab a screen shot - darn it!)
Checked this recently and now can confirm: on the mission-completion screen of the last mission that effectively triggers Tip Off occurrence there is in fact a direct mention of the upcoming event, so the case study of "Mysterious Stranger"(s) identities can be closed as there is nothing "Mysterious" in their identities.

Top Bottom