Investigation into the "Mysterious Stranger"

I'll continue with getting allied now with all factions in the orbital of new california. I'll update here if something comes from it.
Excellent! Just note, that in order to get locations that are still unknown one most probably must obtain a dozen or more Tip Offs in a relatively short period of time (1-2 weeks)

I got tip off from that mysterious stranger, who is he does anyone know ? And mission that he gave me i think its illegal lol i am on planet watching my prey. So should i engage or not to do lol

I got tip off from that mysterious stranger, who is he does anyone know ? And mission that he gave me i think its illegal lol i am on planet watching my prey. So should i engage or not to do lol
1) According to investigation data - "mysterious stranger" - is one of your contacts or passengers connected to minor faction (there was a little note about on the mission completion screen).
2) Without having your assigned location I can not say much. Most probably the location is already well known. Yep, this can be "illegal", however there is always a way to get the "end message" fast enough - i.e. without negative consequences. In settlements, for example, you need only to scan a Core Data Terminal, it can be scanned both from your ship or srv.

1) According to investigation data - "mysterious stranger" - is one of your contacts or passengers connected to minor faction (there was a little note about on the mission completion screen).
2) Without having your assigned location I can not say much. Most probably the location is already well known. Yep, this can be "illegal", however there is always a way to get the "end message" fast enough - i.e. without negative consequences. In settlements, for example, you need only to scan a Core Data Terminal, it can be scanned both from your ship or srv.
tipoff.jpg

Yep, that's a known location, with Large Industrial/High security settlement. If you really want to scan it a relatively small and fast ship is the best option (not a conda) - scan just the terminal (that one with the green light) and hurry up out of there. Or you can try a fast one way travel with your srv.
However as I've said this base has been scanned a number of times, so the logs are known

Yep, that's a known location, with Large Industrial/High security settlement. If you really want to scan it a relatively small and fast ship is the best option (not a conda) - scan just the terminal (that one with the green light) and hurry up out of there. Or you can try a fast one way travel with your srv.
However as I've said this base has been scanned a number of times, so the logs are known
Thank You for tip mate. o7
Yea i figured conda is big for it, i will try with srv and if i don't succeed than i will try with Krait Mk2 :D

Thank You for tip mate. o7
Yea i figured conda is big for it, i will try with srv and if i don't succeed than i will try with Krait Mk2 :D
You have a bit more than 20 seconds (without negative consequences). With the ship you must really poke the terminal with the nose (and the biggest risk is to stuck there in some construction). The biggest possible "cheat" here - is that the 20+ seconds "safe to exit" timer do reset on relog ;)

Just got 3 tip off missions.
The first was after doing many passenger missions out of Harvard base in HIP 83506, dumping 300 million in exploration data at the ammonia world cg, and then doing a few donation mission at jameson.

The Second was from stacking combat missions out of jameson. (both wing, solo massacre and assassination missions against nuenet's blue crew pirates )

The 3rd just popped after handing in even more combat missions (out of Puleston's and jameson's), a few haulage Elite/founder missions, and doing a few donation missions.

HIP 1742 B5a on dec 7 th
Moraikda 1 on dec 8th
and
Djabara 2d on the 14th.
( i believe these are all known, and appear to be in the same spawn order i have seen them previously)

Mission completion percentage does not seem to be important. (i abandoned several after real life kept me from playing for a while)

Just got 3 tip off missions.
The first was after doing many passenger missions out of Harvard base in HIP 83506, dumping 300 million in exploration data at the ammonia world cg, and then doing a few donation mission at jameson.

The Second was from stacking combat missions out of jameson. (both wing, solo massacre and assassination missions against nuenet's blue crew pirates )

The 3rd just popped after handing in even more combat missions (out of Puleston's and jameson's), a few haulage Elite/founder missions, and doing a few donation missions.

HIP 1742 B5a on dec 7 th
Moraikda 1 on dec 8th
and
Djabara 2d on the 14th.
( i believe these are all known, and appear to be in the same spawn order i have seen them previously)

Mission completion percentage does not seem to be important. (i abandoned several after real life kept me from playing for a while)
Yep, all three are known. The "spawn order" - or the order of assignment - depends on two factors: your commander current location (i.e. coordinates of the star system) and current "tick" of the global timer. And yes, afaik the mission completion doesn't affect anything except your credit balance

I didn't pursue these Tip-Off missions with a great deal of effort because at the time, I was in a sub-par Fer-De-Lance and not ready to solo the surface strongholds. With my Corvette now, that's a different story. All I remember is that it was somewhat consistent from running with Aegis in Sol that triggered the bulk of mine (2 or 3, at least, to be specific). Heck, even the "Donate Credits" to Aegis gave me a couple.

I didn't pursue these Tip-Off missions with a great deal of effort because at the time, I was in a sub-par Fer-De-Lance and not ready to solo the surface strongholds. With my Corvette now, that's a different story. All I remember is that it was somewhat consistent from running with Aegis in Sol that triggered the bulk of mine (2 or 3, at least, to be specific). Heck, even the "Donate Credits" to Aegis gave me a couple.
In fact, the biggest drawback of an FDL for multiple Tip Off missions on planetary bases is, imo, the fact that in general Tip Off missions are about "journey" and distances, and FDL is not the best ship for travelling. Otherwise Tip Off missions do not require to perform any kind of assaults. Once - when conducting some related experiment - I've scanned all 40+ TO-related bases in two days using a weaponless python.

And with you doing over 40 of them...you'd think that if they were connected to The Dark Wheel at all, you would know about it...or could at least disprove that correlation.

And with you doing over 40 of them...you'd think that if they were connected to The Dark Wheel at all, you would know about it...or could at least disprove that correlation.
Strictly speaking, I have visited most of the 234 known so far locations, and many of them even for a few times (taking into account that I've used three accounts for this investigation). And that is not in any sense an unique achievement - there are other commanders who have concluded similar experiments.
And yes, for Tip Offs The Dark will is only one from thousands of other minor factions, no more, no less.
Each subsequent TO mission depend on the system your commander are currently in, i.e. on your current coordinates - and are "faction-independent". They also do depend on the "universe time" and on the missions that have been assigned previously and are still valid.
So, nothing in this in-game mechanics that can be in anyway "special" and connected to the dark wheel.

How can I find out if the location of the tip-off is a known one? Just googling it didnt work for me with my present one. :)
Just follow the link in my signature (if you have't disabled signatures) - anyway, this one
It's a google spreadsheet, and there you can find two tabs - "Bubble" and "Colonia" - where all so far known locations are listed
According to my current understanding all sites in Colonia has been discovered, however there must be still undiscovered locations in the Bubble.

Just follow the link in my signature (if you have't disabled signatures) - anyway, this one
It's a google spreadsheet, and there you can find two tabs - "Bubble" and "Colonia" - where all so far known locations are listed
According to my current understanding all sites in Colonia has been discovered, however there must be still undiscovered locations in the Bubble.
Ah thx, could have found that myself, really... I found the site in the list, too bad. :) It's the TUCANAE SECTOR HH-U one. I got it while doing some passenger missions robigo mines/ sothis, if that info might be useful.

Strictly speaking, I have visited most of the 234 known so far locations, and many of them even for a few times (taking into account that I've used three accounts for this investigation). And that is not in any sense an unique achievement - there are other commanders who have concluded similar experiments.
And yes, for Tip Offs The Dark will is only one from thousands of other minor factions, no more, no less.
Each subsequent TO mission depend on the system your commander are currently in, i.e. on your current coordinates - and are "faction-independent". They also do depend on the "universe time" and on the missions that have been assigned previously and are still valid.
So, nothing in this in-game mechanics that can be in anyway "special" and connected to the dark wheel.

So, the important point is it's not as special as we'd like it to be. Ah well, "knocking the wind out of my sails" has been a theme, so just add this instance onto the pile, right over there in that dark dusty corner.

So, the important point is it's not as special as we'd like it to be. Ah well, "knocking the wind out of my sails" has been a theme, so just add this instance onto the pile, right over there in that dark dusty corner.
I can only apologize but "knocking the wind out of your sails" was not my original intention.

More, I can say now that introducing Tip Off's in game was really a genial idea from FD. Oh, how many tons of high quality tinfoil theories I've discovered when I've searched all the available sources for the mentions of that in-game phenomena=). And some new do appear on a regular basis after all those years. It have taken 5 years just to get some light on the "identity" of the "mysterious stranger" - excellent result from the game design point of view, imo.

Once again I must underline that I'm speaking about game mechanics - and not about it's "outcome" like tip off end messages.

Yes, I don't see any "technical" connection between TDW - or any other minor faction - and those texts, neither to the particular locations they can be obtained. So, for example, if you get a text containing something like:

"... I've hidden the coordinates in the local news network servers... " (with English game-client) on a particular site,

then starting to search stations in nearest systems for them is not a wise decision according to my data. And not only due to the explanation, hm... "suggested" by Dominic Corner, but by the nature of this game mechanics =)

However the texts themselves are the separate topic. Alongside with groups that they do form according to game mechanics. I do not analyze them - I just leave it up to you, commanders. There are 145 pieces of text that do form nine groups of messages and only one of them has been ever under the scope of an investigation (by CoR). Oh yes, I have my own opinions and assumptions about the nature of some of them, but that is only my opinions and speculations and not the "scientifically" established knowledge=)

Better late then never:
I would like to thank commander @Factabulous for the recent addition of 15 previously undocumented locations to the main Tip Off related spreadsheet! So far that this is the biggest one-time contribution to the locations pool in the Bubble (and a good opportunity to jump to the top-10 contributors list=) ).
And I really impressed - as I suppose those locations has been obtained during one (or two) weekly-ticks long session (CG, rank grinding for the alt?) and those 15 new means that there were probably obtained 40-50 Tip Off missions in total in a quite limited amount of time. Bravo!
Could you also share the details how you achived this? In particular I'm interested in the system(s) where they have been received (so I can draw the "exclusion" sphere in my notes - outside of this sphere there must not be any remaining "unknown" Tip Off locations of the "settlement" type anymore).

Top Bottom