Is this all we can discover?

Probably worth bearing in mind that we cannot yet land on atmospheric worlds - so we can only find life that can survive in the vacuum of space or on airless (or near-airless) planets. And it's very implausible that life could evolve or survive there.

Which puts FDev in an awkward position. They want to give us goodies to find, but they haven't got around to giving us access to the places life is likely to exist. So personally I'm hoping they don't put in any more weird space life, and hold off until we have atmospheric landings and access to more plausible habitats for life.

Totally agree. I think it would be better if they simply add new/deeper meaning to the exisiting geological and biological findings: may be some additional information to discover with some new ways to get it. Honestly, I would like to see more RPG elements there (skills) - say, "after you scan 100 bark mounds you will get ability to exctract the N element from them to sell", or something like this, so we will really get a reason not to skip them.

Where are the comets? I'd love to see volcanos, lightnings in planet's atmospheres etc.....and caves on surfaces. What about the rings' shadows on planet surfaces?

My question is simple: are all the geological and organic structures, anomalies, etc. discovered? obviously i'm not talking about finds, like "hey, i first discovered a planet and it has bark mounds", i'm talking about brand new stuff that is not in the CODEX, because nobody found them yet. are there any? or is this all?

I feel like there should be WAY more kind of geological/biological structures, lifeforms out there, explorers should have more things to discover for the first time, not just 4-5 color variants of the existing 20-25 structures.
I think we need way more stuff to discover and also more frequent in the galaxy. There are few things and very rare so you only find these once every hundreds jump and then "oh it's you again" so nothing really exciting for explorers... Fdev developed a lot for combat oriented gameplay (guardian modules, engineered weapons and shield, power play specific modules, 6 launched fighters, thargoids, etc..). Exploration instead is still very basic after so many years...

I'm out on DW2, heading east of the 'main-route' to WP11 in 'the veils'.

I've didn't recover anything, no life-forms nor stellar phenomenae, for at least 20000lys :confused:

That seems a bit severe. You are Probing I take it? Life forms tend to cluster around nebula but I have picked them up in deep space. Not sure about the rules for NSP but they pop up semi regular for me and the last time I went out was only about 10k from the bubble.

No mans sky was a explorer first game. People still found reasons to complain. If the question is extended to the real universe. Plenty of unknown unknowns out there.

Last edited:
Keep searching every single planet and moon that we can land on. Somewhere out there, HE is waiting to be rescued:

latest

Take a look at the codex dates for the first reported on ANYTHING, and you'll notice that most of them were "discovered" (cough) within a 2 weeks of 3.3 dropping. In EVERY SECTION of the galaxy...

I'm on DW2, and I have not found a single NSP (discovered or otherwise) in any system I've visited unless it was a POI set up by the organizers, nor have I found a single biological POI that hadn't already been discovered by someone else. Except, of course, for the false "First Reported" credits I've gotten for apparently non-existent Anemones :p

The Codex is a lie.

Take a look at the codex dates for the first reported on ANYTHING, and you'll notice that most of them were "discovered" (cough) within a 2 weeks of 3.3 dropping. In EVERY SECTION of the galaxy...

I'm on DW2, and I have not found a single NSP (discovered or otherwise) in any system I've visited unless it was a POI set up by the organizers, nor have I found a single biological POI that hadn't already been discovered by someone else. Except, of course, for the false "First Reported" credits I've gotten for apparently non-existent Anemones :p

The Codex is a lie.

Well, as always, YMMV. But I'm not on a cruise ship route and in about the same length of time I've found 34 bodies with brain trees (most or all unmapped, a few undiscovered) and, last night, an undiscovered Guardian Structure. It's a big place, the Galaxy. You're not going to find everything in every place you look.

I thought the "Rumoured" tab in the Codex was going to be full of things for us to discover. But so far it has nothing.
Well, that was what Frontier have said (in streams): that there will be "breadcrumbs" to lead people to where they might look, in the form of rumours on the Codex. Even if there were any - I didn't see any rumour entries in the Codex some hours after launch - they certainly ran out quick.

They also said they seeded the galaxy with new installations and megaships. It turned out that while there are plenty of new ones of those (and I do like them, they also have some good gameplay there, unlike the new stuff added to NSPs), they're all in the bubble and Colonia. So yeah, it was technically true, but if like me you also expected that there would be new megaships and installations out there to be found deep in the galaxy, it's still a disappointment.

Before the 3.3 update it was hard to find this stuff, too hard. I would spend days looking, flying or driving across some tiny moon or another looking for some unusual signal. I spent most of the first three months of 2016 looking for barnacles, eventually finding one only to discover that not only was it not a new discovery but it had been farmed out, presumably because it was one that was particularly easy to find.

Later I looked in untagged systems, working my way around the galaxy in a ship equipped to survive any encounter and found a few (about a dozen) geological sites, never more than one per small moon. There was always more to find, I never found any biological sites, I found a Guardian site near the core but again it was well known presumably because it was easy to find, and later still, just before the 3.3 update I went specifically looking for Guardian sites (the ones with the hostile skimmer-things) using the civilisation filter on the galaxy map and found a few (they were signposted in the system so once in the system it was pretty easy. I never used external help other than knowing that a particular thing (eg barnacles) existed in the game.

During the 3.3 beta I used the new mapping functionality on a moon in my home system I regularly visited for mats & missions, and identified fourty-odd geological POIs (I had never found a single one there before). I took a screengrab of the co-ordinates and visited one of the sites in the live game, sure enough it was there too, it had always been there.

The 3.3 update has made it much, much easier to find what is there, arguably too easy. By the end of December I had seen more persistent surface POIs than I imagined possible without the probes telling me where they were, what was once a rare treasure became mundane, good only for farming mats. I found far more in space that was new and (I presume) added in 3.3, ticking a few more codex boxes, and visiting different regions kept me going 'till around the end of January and by then I felt I'd consumed enough of the new content.

In one update to the game the enormity of the galaxy was reduced to ticking boxes in one region, then moving on to another region. I visited 5-6 regions & feel no great urge to repeat the same simple search in the others so I returned to the bubble.

But I play most days, for several hours at a time. For most players it is more than enough, but for me the scope now just feels so small. Not because of how much there is to find or the variety, but because what there is is now so easy to find.
That's something we both agree with, it is now far too easy to find stuff on a planets surface. In my view, the probes should give us search areas and then we have a wave type scanner find large POI's. Have a process involved, but I suspect many will complain that it is a time sink.

With 400 billion system and barely 0.5% of it discovered. I'd suggest to go look, as we probably haven't found everything just yet. Oh, and this isn't NMS to which I'm glad it isn't...o7

That's something we both agree with, it is now far too easy to find stuff on a planets surface. In my view, the probes should give us search areas and then we have a wave type scanner find large POI's. Have a process involved, but I suspect many will complain that it is a time sink.
Yeah. But it's optional (I don't have to fit a DSS or use the probes) so it's not a big deal for me.

The answer to the question is no. It's not everything, for there are things that are announced to be i nthe game and yet undiscovered.
However, it is most likely all you will discover. First discoveries are mostly being made by players who are either utterly insane, insanely lucky or work in a big team like canon to combine theories and do a wide variety of expeditions. And even then it will always be one player who will discover something first. Traditonally, it's the one who uploads a screenshot first.

That said, I personally don't find enjoyment in spending 99,999% of the time in a vast emptyness in hope to eventually find another type of rock that has no use but hasn't been discovered. If you find enjoyment in that, go find something but if not, I'd strongly recommend not doing it. I am a simple man of rational thinking. If it ain't got a forseeable use, it's not worth it.

My question is simple: are all the geological and organic structures, anomalies, etc. discovered? obviously i'm not talking about finds, like "hey, i first discovered a planet and it has bark mounds", i'm talking about brand new stuff that is not in the CODEX, because nobody found them yet. are there any? or is this all?

I feel like there should be WAY more kind of geological/biological structures, lifeforms out there, explorers should have more things to discover for the first time, not just 4-5 color variants of the existing 20-25 structures.
It's been one of my chief complaints from early on. There are 400 billion star systems in this game and 399.99999 billion of them are more or less the same with nothing special about them.

Top Bottom