ANNOUNCEMENT January Update - Beta Announcement

• As it currently stands, in order for the geological/biological sites to be placed on the surface, the entire stellar body must be fully generated (we then know the topography and can place sites where they will be accessible). This can take tens of seconds.
  • As part of the January Update, we aim to address this with an alternative process. We have run tests on thousands of in-game planetary bodies and by using this data, we're able to extrapolate the likelihood of geological/biologic sites being present on similar stellar bodies. We then use this data and indicate if the planet is ‘Unlikely’, ‘Likely’, or ‘Very Likely’ to have a geological/biological sites.
  • It is not 100% guaranteed that there will be a geological/biological site on the planetary body, but does give commanders a much faster indication of probability. This will enable commanders to quickly ascertain if the planet's worth a visit.
  • As this is an alternative way to display information, we would love to hear your feedback on it to determine whether or not it is better than the current process.
I really like this approach. If we first get an initial estimation, that might be enough for some explorers, but if we allow it to wait the full cycle, we get extended detail information, optional would be optimal.

No mention of fighter lag at all, or instancing or ANY MULTIPLAYER ISSUES... is this for real??
wing beacons crashing the game? blocking being abused on the regular to crash peoples games??
Im glad the AX guys at least got some fixes but this is embarrasing. How long will it take them to realize that not being able to play with friends without something breaking horribly is killing a very dedicated portion of the playerbase?

Edit: how about cheating or the numerous exploits available?

Arimus

Volunteer Moderator
Yes, but I mean is will FD be looking at P2P holistically and not just rubberbanding? Its hard to judge improvement if you don't really know if anything has been tinkered with.

We will have to assume that they are focussing on the issues stated in the OP. Unless a member of FDev can comment further?

Stephen Benedetti

Community Manager
No mention of fighter lag at all, or instancing or ANY MULTIPLAYER ISSUES... is this for real??
wing beacons crashing the game? blocking being abused on the regular to crash peoples games??
Im glad the AX guys at least got some fixes but this is embarrasing

Hey Robin in Space,

The list of issues we've mentioned in the post above is not exhaustive of all of the fixes coming with the beta. Any additional fixes will be detailed in the beta Patch Notes coming next week.

• We have identified that the LUA script responsible for populating Conflict Zones can stop running at times, which causes this kind of issue. We will implement a fix, but we'll need your feedback on whether or not the issue persists.

Presumably you'll ensure there are plenty of conflicts set up going for the ~week long beta, rather than Cmdrs needing to trigger one and thus wait to test this ?

Last edited:
Well one of those affects me (1 message showing). I'll do the beta as I'd like to ensure Occulus VR is still working properly.

[...]
FSS: Long delay when scanning planets with geological sites
  • As it currently stands, in order for the geological/biological sites to be placed on the surface, the entire stellar body must be fully generated (we then know the topography and can place sites where they will be accessible). This can take tens of seconds.
  • As part of the January Update, we aim to address this with an alternative process. We have run tests on thousands of in-game planetary bodies and by using this data, we're able to extrapolate the likelihood of geological/biologic sites being present on similar stellar bodies. We then use this data and indicate if the planet is ‘Unlikely’, ‘Likely’, or ‘Very Likely’ to have a geological/biological sites.
  • It is not 100% guaranteed that there will be a geological/biological site on the planetary body, but does give commanders a much faster indication of probability. This will enable commanders to quickly ascertain if the planet's worth a visit.
  • As this is an alternative way to display information, we would love to hear your feedback on it to determine whether or not it is better than the current process.
  • Please note: this will not affect Thargoid or Guardian sites, which will show up instantaneously.
[...]

I just wanted to highlight this example of excellent communication!

We get some insight of why this problem exists and what the technical limitations are. This is followed by a possible fix/workaround and then we are asked for our opinion, after being shown the advantages and drawbacks of each option.

Bravo! 👏

I know some people see the next updates as "just bug fixes", but if it's accompanied by great communication like that, we gain much more than bug fixes. 🥳

Last edited:
Top Bottom