Patch Notes January Update - Patch 2

It was worth it. Yes, I am still very upset that bug fixing meant not only delaying FC, but also removing Interstellar Initiatives, which were the closest thing to a new content for veteran players that we got in a long while. Which then subsequently completely killed Galnet and any ongoing story in the game. I am absolutely gutted about the complete hiatus that the game is in currently.

BUT. I did experience majority of the bugs that were fixed and I am glad they are gone now. I'm hoping for at least one more bugfix patch and then FC. I also think that there's potentially less chance of FC introducing new bugs, now that so many other ones were fixed.

Therefore overall - yes, I think it was ultimately a good decision, even though the immediate consequences are massively disappointing and upsetting. As were the events leading to the current situation (so called "community" petition and open letter, which in reality was a closed blackmail :p )

The events leading to the current situation go a lot further back than an open letter.

These bugs were years old.

The situation that led to this disappointing turn of events is best summarized as lazy, incompetent, or directionless development. Possibly a combination of all three, depending on who you ask (my credits are on directionless, the game is well built so FDev isn't incompetent. I go back and forth on lazy, when I consider tweets that point to specific systems in the midst of content droughts that were 'misinterpreted'.)

I get there are folks trolling and being mad at FDev as a pastime, but we should be honest about why we're in this position:

A product that hasn't been well maintained finally hit a point at which it had to be maintained or the product would cease to sell. They're a business and none of this would occur if some projection didn't finally throw a red flag up declaring, "Fix this or the game community goes kaput." That it took said flag to even notify the developers is the real issue. Blaming players and content creators for open letters completely ignores the fact they had a reason to pen that letter in the first place.

It's akin to arguing it's your fault you didn't lock your door when the burglar broke into your house.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
The events leading to the current situation go a lot further back than an open letter.

These bugs were years old.

The situation that led to this disappointing turn of events is best summarized as lazy, incompetent, or directionless development. Possibly a combination of all three, depending on who you ask (my credits are on directionless, the game is well built so FDev isn't incompetent. I go back and forth on lazy, when I consider tweets that point to specific systems in the midst of content droughts that were 'misinterpreted'.)

I get there are folks trolling and being mad at FDev as a pastime, but we should be honest about why we're in this position:

A product that hasn't been well maintained finally hit a point at which it had to be maintained or the product would cease to sell. They're a business and none of this would occur if some projection didn't finally throw a red flag up declaring, "Fix this or the game community goes kaput." That it took said flag to even notify the developers is the real issue. Blaming players and content creators for open letters completely ignores the fact they had a reason to pen that letter in the first place.

It's akin to arguing it's your fault you didn't lock your door when the burglar broke into your house.

I would be OK with what you said if the "open letter" agenda wasn't in fact somewhat forced by a shady "ultimatum" given to FDEV by the original creators of the letter, to which they have admitted to. "Do as we say or else...". Similar blackmail has also happened before with 3rd party app developers, but back then at least we knew what the ultimatum was (switching off the applications).

Then why did you ask the question, when you've clearly made your mind up and rather than asking what people think you're actually begging for people to join you in attacking FDev - just be strong and openly attack them rather than hiding behind a fake "open question" then arguing with people who answer honestly.

my response was to a WK response to my post trying to spin the facts. The question was a genuine one.

tbh, I think the game has ceased to sell loooooong time ago because of a few very bad design decisions, an extremely difficult and divided community from the beginning and the almost non-existent communication on the part of fdev regarding what we can expect at all and when ,and actually all game mechanics.

so the profit they can expect from elite (the 10 people who spend arx for every **** anyway) [or maybe even just the reason that they don't want to blame themselves for not having finished the game] is so small ,insignificant and predictable that no one is really working on it for a long time. Instead all available resources are put into titles that have at least some financial importance.

just my guessing... for a few years now...

I would be OK with what you said if the "open letter" agenda wasn't in fact somewhat forced by a shady "ultimatum" given to FDEV by the original creators of the letter, to which they have admitted to. "Do as we say or else...". Similar blackmail has also happened before with 3rd party app developers, but back then at least we knew what the ultimatum was (switching off the applications).

Do you have a source?

The letter sounded quite condescending, dictating a course of action but it included no threat or "or else.." whatsoever. What would the threat be? Stop playing, or for the CCs to stop making videos?

Anyway, even if their was a threat that doesn't make everything sandkid said invalid.

tbh, I think the game has ceased to sell loooooong time ago because of a few very bad design decisions, an extremely difficult and divided community from the beginning and the almost non-existent communication on the part of fdev regarding what we can expect at all and when ,and actually all game mechanics.

so the profit they can expect from elite (the 10 people who spend arx for every **** anyway) [or maybe even just the reason that they don't want to blame themselves for not having finished the game] is so small ,insignificant and predictable that no one is really working on it for a long time. Instead all available resources are put into titles that have at least some financial importance.

just my guessing... for a few years now...
I guess your comprehension skills don't quite manage to relate fact to fantasy, or you managed to miss reading any of the threads that illustrated how sales of ED are pretty constant...

But why ruin such a string of balderdash with fact?

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Do you have a source?

The letter sounded quite condescending, dictating a course of action but it included no threat or "or else.." whatsoever. What would the threat be? Stop playing, or for the CCs to stop making videos?

Anyway, even if their was a threat that doesn't make everything sandkid said invalid.

Honestly? I don't care enough to go back and search for it. But it was in the actual comments under the letter on Reddit IIRC. They would admit to the ultimatum (which wasn't public, so it went through some private channels apparently), but they wouldn't share any details about it.

And while it doesn't invalidate the post I quoted, the immediate consequences of having a "patch period" was removal of CG's and II's, with II's being remotely the only "new" content for more veteran players since the exploration update, which we all know wasn't great in terms of bugs either.

FDEV allowing for the game to get into that state was not cool, no question about that. But on the other hand they way this whole letter was handled also not cool.

I was going to type a bunch of other stuff here, but work stuff came up, so I gtg, sorry!

Arriving at a place where content creators can blackmail you is the issue.

Again, you're blaming the homeowner for forgetting to lock their doors rather than the robber.

An ultimatum was never actually issued - threat of departure? Sure, I can buy that. Any Open Letter essentially implies that. Yet that still doesn't address the fact the threat has merit or that the conditions for the threat to even have valence exist. None of which is the fault of content creators, shadow parties, or whatever conspiracy nonsense you want to stick behind it.

The bugs were years old.

Ignore the content drought - the game is fun to play, I agree wholeheartedly - but that doesn't change the fact the 'issue' that I quoted still stands: this situation exists because FDev allowed their product to reach a low enough point such that bowing to pressure was not only possible but potentially necessary. Again, it's a business.

Which begs the question: did they bow to pressure at all? Is it just a convenient excuse to finally fix multi-year troubles? Or is development so directionless that the Open Letter was a welcome sight? A clear direction to follow?

Honestly, there isn't any way to know because we're not FDev and their communication and honesty is...questionable...at this stage.

What we do know is that the current circumstances are not the fault of content creators or the community. We're not developing this game. We are not in charge of communications policy. We do not dictate timelines, promises, marketing, or troll-management. We are the consumers, little more.

If Frontier Development is facing a problem, crisis, issue...it's because Frontier Development didn't plan for it accordingly. Ascribing blame to anyone else is woefully incompetent and also implies FDev lacks the competence to manage their own product. If they are being persuaded, forced or not, by outside forces that is their decision/fault and they created the circumstances leading to that decision/fault.

seems that frontier is not keeping theire promise by delaying the fleet carrier and work on bugs instead
another bunch of bugs in the pvp part of the game
this game is becoming a joke

fx the instancing
fx the radar bug when we slow down players disapear
fx the navlock on wing mates
fx the empty instance when being interdicted or interdicting
it has become impossible to play the pvp part of the game atm

I guess your comprehension skills don't quite manage to relate fact to fantasy, or you managed to miss reading any of the threads that illustrated how sales of ED are pretty constant...

But why ruin such a string of balderdash with fact?

thank you for confirming my second statement.

and I guess your comprehension skills don't quite manage to realize that (even if that is the case because in fact you didn't deliver any facts as well as fdev doesn't deliver any facts in terms of sales) constant sales doesn't mean in the least that it is profitable or financially relevant or a success to the company or met expectations or anything else besides the actual meaning of the term...

and if your comprehension skills are enough to understand sentences in their context and you can manage to put your emotions aside just because someone says something you don't like, you might have noticed, that this was the point I made...

Last edited:
elite.jpg

Regular launchers not included.

thank you for confirming my second statement.

and I guess your comprehension skills don't quite manage to realize that (even if that is the case because in fact you didn't deliver any facts as well as fdev doesn't deliver any facts in terms of sales) constant sales doesn't mean in the least that it is profitable or financially relevant or a success to the company or met expectations or anything else besides the actual meaning of the term...

and if your comprehension skills are enough to understand sentences in their context and you can manage to put your emotions aside just because someone says something you don't like, you might have noticed, that this was the point I made...
Stay on your rant...
Then try reading through the audited accounts to see that your concept a failing non-profitable or financially relevent still stands. I'd suggest my comprehension of the matter exceeds those displayed by one who posts a 'failure' message based solely on personal agenda, try reading the Interim Repot linked here:

Have fun :)

Last edited:
Stay on your rant...
Then try reading through the audited accounts to see that your concept a failing non-profitable or financially relevent still stands. I'd suggest my comprehension of the matter exceeds those displayed by one who posts a 'failure' message based solely on personal agenda, try reading the Interim Repot linked here:

Have fun :)

of course now comes the obligatory accusation of ranting XD omg

uhmm, if you'd read it, you'd know that the report pretty much confirms what I said.

No relevance except the 10 people who buy everything for Arx anyway (keyword predictable)

Furthermore the importance of the external Ips is also confirmed and it is explicitly stated that the increase in profit of own Ips was achieved by/through Planet Coaster...

and still no concrete numbers on sales but nice talk like.

" Four years later, the overall Horizons attach rate to lifetime unit sales of the base game is around 50%, demonstrating the strong ongoing engagement by the Elite Dangerous community to additional content "

whereby it is completely ignored that many base players have a lifetime subscription anyway and the enormously low prices of the bundle compared to the basegame (bundle often cheaper than the basegame) and the fact that you can't buy the basegame alone on some platforms...

but yeah, believe what you want

I have been trying to download this update but keep getting the following message:

CaptureElite.PNG

I have tried doing the update straight away as soon as I boot into Windows so I am not sure what other "process" could be running.

Any ideas?

You broke the very useful Composition Scanner with this update. My scanner glows when I am near a tuber or anemone but the scan will not start. Please fix this asap.

This morning I did an assassination mission again, all working as intended for everyone (apparently) except me, here's how it went...

Assassination Mission Video

So remind me again what has actually been fixed again?, sorry and all, but I dont see it!
Nice build/ flying. I think they should do more for persistence of NPCs especially on these missions. If you had a wake scanner, you could’ve followed him to the next system, and wavey Davey would’ve been at 13% hull.

seems odd that wake scanning is the only way to keep the same NPC

Top Bottom