ANNOUNCEMENT January Update - Patch Notes

As it currently stands, in order for the geological/biological sites to be placed on the surface, the entire stellar body must be fully generated (we then know the topography and can place sites where they will be accessible), which can take tens of seconds.
"tens of seconds" Seriously? Now I know why I thought I had somehow escaped this "bug". I hadn't. I just don't expect everything now. NOW! WANNIT NOW!

"tens of seconds" Seriously? Now I know why I thought I had somehow escaped this "bug". I hadn't. I just don't expect everything now. NOW! WANNIT NOW!
If you understand networking (and I only vaguely do), you can see why this is something that Frontier wanted to fix. For each request to find out which POIs are present on a planet, for as long as the request is processing, there is load on the back end database. It is in Frontier's interest to reduce this time to as small a time period as possible.

If Frontier can reduce this load, through whatever means, then everything performs better.... oh, and yeah, one of the commanders asked for it so they'll call it a bug that the community asked to be fixed.

All in all, any fixes are good news - shame that Fleet carriers was deferred, CGs were deferred and Galnet has stopped but in the year 3306, this is what progress looks like

If you understand networking (and I only vaguely do), you can see why this is something that Frontier wanted to fix. For each request to find out which POIs are present on a planet, for as long as the request is processing, there is load on the back end database. It is in Frontier's interest to reduce this time to as small a time period as possible.

That's not actually what's going on. There's an interesting discussion about how and when the surface locations are generated in the Beta FSS feedback thread which is well worth reading; but, briefly, Stellar Forge runs on the local client to determine what's present in the system. The processing takes place on the user's GPU and that's why the delay is less of a problem if you're using a very fast graphics card.

Kinda upset this was actually implemented. Not a great fix, and was shot down a lot during the beta. Honestly would have preferred it not to be implemented at all rather than another RNG system over it.

It's not an RNG system.

The patch notes also say that you can wait (as you can now) to get the number of geo/bio sites if you like. This will just give you a quick first indication so you can decide whether to wait further or move onto the next target.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
That's not actually what's going on. There's an interesting discussion about how and when the surface locations are generated in the Beta FSS feedback thread which is well worth reading; but, briefly, Stellar Forge runs on the local client to determine what's present in the system. The processing takes place on the user's GPU and that's why the delay is less of a problem if you're using a very fast graphics card.

I;m on a heavily overclocked 1080 (2101 Mhz) and it still takes ages.

I am on a standard GTX 1070 and I never ever had to wait "tens of seconds" to see PoI data. 🤷‍♂️

It honestly surprised me to see people complaining about how long it takes for them.
it is also a question of capped frames/vsync
i have a 2080ti and if a put a 60 fps cap, i have to wait many seconds the number of poi

i have a 2080ti and if a put a 60 fps cap, i have to wait many seconds the number of poi

I don't cap to 60fps, for sure. Why do people do that? Your monitor - if its max fps is 60 like mine - will display at 60fps, even if the game is rendering at way more than that. I'm obviously missing the reason why people limit the game framerate to 60. Is it to prevent screen tearing? I ask because I don't experience that on my setup - Windows or Linux.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator

I never thought of that, thanks! I'll check it out.

I don't cap to 60fps, for sure. Why do people do that? Your monitor - if its max fps is 60 like mine - will display at 60fps, even if the game is rendering at way more than that. I'm obviously missing the reason why people limit the game framerate to 60. Is it to prevent screen tearing? I ask because I don't experience that on my setup - Windows or Linux.

I use a 144 Hz G-Sync monitor and I cap it at 60, because otherwise my live streams and also recorded videos get very choppy.

Depending on circumstances, sometimes I've had to wait as long as 40 seconds for the POI's to resolve...

I never thought of that, thanks! I'll check it out.

I use a 144 Hz G-Sync monitor and I cap it at 60, because otherwise my live streams and also recorded videos get very choppy.

Depending on circumstances, sometimes I've had to wait as long as 40 seconds for the POI's to resolve...

Ah okay.
Here's something which might help for your streaming/recording;

If you have a spare PC or laptop, you can use the NDI plugin for OBS; you run OBS on your game machine and use it to send the video/audio stream via network to OBS running on the other PC/laptop, which is where the encoding & streaming or recording can take place. This takes the encoding/recording load off the gaming PC - as it takes less load to transmit the video & audio via the NDP protocol than it does to encode and stream on the gaming PC.
This worked an absolute treat for me when my gaming PC was bottlenecked by the AMD Phenom X4 945 CPU, even though I had a GTX 1070 in it. (The FX 8350 I replaced it with was an order of magnitude improvement.)

Using that method means you could run the game at 144Hz without the choppiness.

Stellar Forge runs on the local client to determine what's present in the system. The processing takes place on the user's GPU and that's why the delay is less of a problem if you're using a very fast graphics card
Fair enough. I do have a reasonable GPU so maybe more of an issue for other people. I agree - all fixes that improve the game are a good thing.

i don't like my graphic card (over)heating while calculating useless frames 😵

I have a 2080 Super, game framerate cap is off, and average time to resolve Geo POI's is 6 seconds. In VR (90Hz cap) I'll wait around 18 seconds for the same resolve.
I gather some consoles limit much lower, so the wait there will be proportionally longer. The beta fix would have benefitted anyone with a low frame rate, if they have got rid of the tabbed display I think it will be a win for everyone :)

Deleted member 38366

D

I do it for example - to conserve electrical power (powerful GPU rendering into the dust bin basically but draws far more power) and to reduce heat output (more silent System, less fan noise).

In a very hot Summer and a very hot room I even switch to low Detail to reduce CPU/GPU load and heat output. Really helps, especially in smaller rooms.

Top Bottom