Jeffress's Second Treasure Hunt

Maybe there still are time capsules, found it in a static USS near one of the bodies orbiting Cernunnos 3.
Sounds a lot more concrete than an Unknown Artefact and it could be pretty useful!

Last edited:

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
I think this is my favourite out of the hunts so far (including the previous hunt and the blind-luck Nvidia one). Really good puzzle to solve, well executed. :)

Yep I agree, this one has been very good. Well done FD thanks for the head scratching.

Maybe there still are time capsules, found it in a static USS near one of the bodies orbiting Cernunnos 3.
Sounds a lot more concrete than an Unknown Artefact and it could be pretty useful!

If you read the names we are almost the same of the UA mystery thread, more or less :D

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator

Bah, that'll learn me for thinking it'll be near the station named after the astronaut... Should have done the system in order, then it might have been closer ;)

They are still there, just picked one up.

*Edit* Did yours show up as stolen avg?

Last edited:
ok eli5 please. how did you figure out that the system name is in there?

The first letters of the words making up the first sentence are TRPITFUTHARK. Futhark, as well as being a system name, is an old system of runes.
The runes translate to a single letter, but also to a word/phrase. Some of the relevant words (e.g. "ulcer", "horse", "aurochs") appear in the following sentences. If you find the relevant runes and use the associated letter instead of the word for each time such a word appears, it spells Cernunnos.

Last edited:

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Clutching at straws here but can I at least get some 'Rep' for thinking of the Runes angle ?!!

You can from me ;)

Yes, mine was stolen.

But I guess you could hand it in on the BB?

There is now no longer any CG on the BB and if you sell the Time Capsule on the Black Market, you get a measly 2,376Cr

- - - Updated - - -

Yes please, why just those words, and why not the first or the last letter of them?

As Esvandiary said, the Futhark runes have different meanings https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elder_Futhark Some of those specific words appear in the riddle. You work your way through the riddle, after the first sentence, and match the words in the order they appear and then use the runic letter those words correspond to.

On my way back to Fomalhaut.
Too bad I can't use what's in my hold to get there quicker.
Congratulations! I had just scooped up my time capsule and started flying back when I refreshed this page and saw that you had already gotten it. I'm sitting in ensport with a now significantly less valuable capsule. What should I do with it?

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Congratulations! I had just scooped up my time capsule and started flying back when I refreshed this page and saw that you had already gotten it. I'm sitting in ensport with a now significantly less valuable capsule. What should I do with it?

Sell it on the Black Market, it's all you can do.

It's becoming abundantly clear that the average ED players IQ is at least 100 points higher than mine...Pretty sure I'm playing the wrong game here :/

Last edited:
Clutching at straws here but can I at least get some 'Rep' for thinking of the Runes angle ?!!
Sure thing!

Hey, we all build on each other here to solve the mysteries. That's one of the things I love about this community ;)

I keep looking at the clue and thinking about how strangely it's written. It seems very unnatural, and looks more like a code to me than an actual riddle. I've tried taking the first letter of each word and seeing if something can be rearranged and decoded, but no success yet. The first sentence is TRPITFUTHARK, which caught my eye because FUTHARK is a real system. I scoured FUTHARK last night and didn't find any static instances. Maybe one of the code breakers can find something.

Top Bottom