Jurassic World Evolution 2 Speculation based on dissecting the JWE2 Media 🔎

I have 2 observations I'd like to highlight from the latest Feature Focus (they can be found in the news section of this forum).

(1) With feeders becoming unnessesary, it looks like checking these new Ranger Posts is going to take their place as the magnet for "busywork" complaints. That said, as a pet owner, I never found refilling the feeders was ever that taxing on my time; especially with the right upgrades on the ranger station. The Feature Focus said that Rangers can scan individual dinos in order to get health info, and that the Ranger Post is used to scan a large area, giving info on all dinos in range at once. It's facially optional, but I have no doubt will be practically necessary to regularly send rangers on Post runs to ensure timely warning of disease/virus outbreaks in the herds or severe hunger/thirst issues with the habitats.

(2) The Feature Focus also said that as part of the more dynamic hunting/predation interactions that prey animals "might be able to escape predators and continue living, after a visit from the park's medical staff." I'm willing to bet certain size disparities will still result in instant death (i.e. Rexy makes a quick snack of Homalocephale), but when predator and prey are more evenly matched it seems like the prey will usually escape an initial attack. This appears to meet a major request in which prey have a chance to escape, but it doesn't sound like they're out of the woods just for surviving the first attack. I draw your attention to the line "after a visit from the park's medical staff." I hypothesize that most prey will escape this initial encounter with some kind of "bleed" status that will eventually lead to their death (while their attackers circle nearby letting nature take its course); and this window, however small it may be, is the opportunity for the Vet Truck to intervene. Without intervention, prey will always die in the end. I'm very curious how this will acutally play out.

(2) The Feature Focus also said that as part of the more dynamic hunting/predation interactions that prey animals "might be able to escape predators and continue living, after a visit from the park's medical staff." I'm willing to bet certain size disparities will still result in instant death (i.e. Rexy makes a quick snack of Homalocephale), but when predator and prey are more evenly matched it seems like the prey will usually escape an initial attack. This appears to meet a major request in which prey have a chance to escape, but it doesn't sound like they're out of the woods just for surviving the first attack. I draw your attention to the line "after a visit from the park's medical staff." I hypothesize that most prey will escape this initial encounter with some kind of "bleed" status that will eventually lead to their death (while their attackers circle nearby letting nature take its course); and this window, however small it may be, is the opportunity for the Vet Truck to intervene. Without intervention, prey will always die in the end. I'm very curious how this will acutally play out.
I really like the new update to the prey being able to escape predation, It looks to be much more engaging to observe the predator and prey dynamic in JWE2.

I think the medical staff line does not necessarily mean that all the prey species would require medical assistance to continue living, I think it was a written segue to discuss about how the vets could be incorporated into a scenario. With multiple prey and predator species, I think some prey animals could shrug off attacks if they are big/fast enough than their predators.

But I like your theory, because I think some predators could actually have cause such damage to the prey species. I could imagine dinosaurs like the allosaurus, giganotosaurus, and carcharodontosaurus to cause such damage, as they could slash their prey with their signature blade like teeth and cause a bleeding effect. It also got me thinking about two predators in Jurassic World Evolution, the troodon and dilophosaurus. They have yet to be confirmed in the new game, but I would imagine their venom attacks could require vet aid all the time, as the effects are just as dire and unpredictable. And the bleeding idea could be a part of the large carnivores hunting the sauropods, if they do hunt them in a dynamic fashion.

With the recent livestream, we are able to have a deeper look at the Amargasaurus!

Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 5.50.58 PM.jpeg

Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 5.51.25 PM.jpeg

Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 5.52.04 PM.jpeg

With the new species field guide, we take a closer look at what looks the be one of the smaller prehistoric residents in JWE2!

Besides looking unbelievably adorable, these small dinosaurs do show us 3 features:

1) The Amargasaurus leaves the hatchery at the same time.

One of the new intubation features that was brought up in the gameinformer article was how dinosaurs could leave the incubation lab at the same time. At first, I thought it would be a one at a time procedure, where dinosaurs would give themselves enough space leaving the incubation lab, but it looks like the dinosaurs could leave as a group!

Now this does leaves us wondering, do they leave as a group if they are small enough? Or do giants like Brachiosaurus would need the space to leave one after the other? And how many could we release at a time? 2? 6? 34? Regardless, this new way of exiting the hatchery as a group would make handling the more social dinosaurs a lot easier, and in situations like these, a lot more alive and adorable.

2) Different skin options, shared skin pattern, and resting animation.

Looking at the new amargasaurus footage, we could see 2 new skin color options for the tiny sauropod. Green and a brownish-dark maroon. All of them share the same side stripe pattern, which interestingly, gives them a tiny blue hue at the tip of their spikes! This means that there could be 5 other patterns we have not seen (we have seen the striped and basic), as well as 9 other color options. So even this new dinosaur could sport so many new looks!

And like the triceratops before, we could see an amargasaurus resting on the grass by the brachiosaurus. Overall, it is a cute species to focus on in this field guide.

3) The size of the Amargasaurus!

She is tiny! Like wow! She is super tiny. I love her size, as not only is it adorable, but it looks to be close to the estimated size of her studied counterpart, about 9-10 meters.

And I am mentioning this because back in Jurassic World Evolution, we had the nigersaurus as the smallest sauropod. And back then, promotional material would emphasize her 9 meter length as well, because that dinosaur is notable for being so small.

Yet the thing was... She was actually about 14 meters in length! 5 meters longer than her official description!

Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 6.35.16 PM.png

This was okay back in JWE, as despite her larger size, she was still technically the smallest sauropod in the game. And there were many cases of small dinosaurs that were notably larger than their real life counterparts in JWE. Still, she was not 9 meters...

But looking at the amargasaurus leaving the hatchery, and in comparison to the fence and brachiosaurus. This small sauropod looks to actually be about 9 meters in length... because she looked smaller than the nigersaurus at least, and she was meant to be 9 meters in JWE...

To make sure if this is actually the case, I took a picture of the amargasaurus leaving the hatchery, and the nigersaurus leaving the hatchery. And if they are the same hatchery, they would share the same door system, and I drew a line where the 3rd bottom lock metal....thingy... to the 3rd bottom socket where the door would lock into. And this is the result:

Nigersaurus.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 6.52.58 PM.png

There is so much breathing room! This has gotten me excited as the amargasaurus could actually be 9 meters long in JWE2!

And this observation is not meant to be a Nigersaurus Vs Amargasaurus topic, but rather how big (and in this case small) the dinosaurs could be in JWE2.

A good portion of dinosaurs, especially the early base game herbivores, are larger than their real life counterparts. Some of them are accurate based on Jurassic Park/World canon, like the nasutoceratops being larger than her real life counterpart. However, new and non-canon dinosaurs like the huayangosaurus, crichtonsaurus, and chasmosaurus are notably bigger than their real life counterparts.

Besides Universal Studios having a say with the dinosaur sizes, I have 2 design theories why they were sized that way: Feeders, and scripted dinosaur conflict. Dinosaurs are expected to reach the designated feeders in JWE1. The ground feeder especially is unique, as it is slightly elevated from ground level, and certain species of dinosaurs that would naturally have their heads close to the ground would have a hard time reaching the feeder, especially if it is a small animal that isn’t as nimble as a homalocephale. So scaling the dinosaur up would help the herbivores in this regard.

The 2nd design theory is that the dinosaurs, if they are part of a hunting or fighting sequence, are going to be part of a scripted sequence, and it would help if the dinosaurs of similar anatomy were part of a similar size, as it would make the sequences easier to implement in jwe.

With JWE2 being so much looser thanks to the natural vegetation as a source of food for herbivores, the herbivores could browse whatever vegetation is closest to them, be it ground, bush, or tree, and is not restricted to a single food source height. Likewise, carnivores have a new dynamic fighting and hunting system, and with the restrictions of the scripted takedowns gone, predators and prey could be closer to their source sizes (movie or studies) and could adapt to the conflict they are in.

Overall, this is still a theory, but it looks to be exciting if it means that a dinosaur's size is not restricted by the gameplay mechanics and system, with the only restriction being if they could leave the hatchery. We would still need to observe more dinosaurs to see how this theory stands, especially if we notice any returning JWE exclusive dinosaurs getting a resize treatment in JWE2. But overall, this is very promising!

UPDATE EDIT:

We also get to see the brachiosaurus browsing the leaves from the tree.

Brachiosaurus.jpg

Amargasaurus Species Field Guide

Last edited:
I gotta say so far this game is looking rather nice. I had some very harsh criticism of the game in earlier posts. Here’s how I feel about what the game is looking like now. I’ll be honest I’m still wishing JWE2 was piece by piece building I feel this would give the fan base a better gaming experience and you could even stick with the jwe theme obviously 100%. The creations would be mind blowing. My second honest opinion is I’d still love to see a planet prehistoric by frontier. I’d love to see frontiers own personal spin on such a game after being a huge planet series fan. That being said so far the games looking much better than the first game. The species profiles look great and I love the amargasaurus btw. Great addition to the game and the small size is nice to have with a sauropod as well. Looking forward to seeing more in the future of this game. My biggest hope at this point for this game is the sandbox mode having everything available from the start. That was a huge personal gripe of mine in JWE1. I know this takes the challenge out for many players and may feel like cheating to some but I love these games for the creativity they offer. That’s just the way I’ve played them since the early zoo tycoon days so that like some others is how I play these types of games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom