Hardware & Technical Latest Nvidia Ampere Rumours

So with the exception of ASUS, AIBs cost more and built worse, plus as GN tested FE's half-blower design may even be superior in terms of reducing temps in the case.
Nice.

The ASUS TUF seems like the best of the 'mainstream' models that I've looked at. Most the others have corners cut somewhere. Even the FE has a hotspot where a few of the GDDR6X ICs can get past 100C unmodded...though adding another thermal pad to the area under the backplate can help.

Another assessment of the filter capacitor situation:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPFKS8jNNh0

He complains about Igor using POSCAP as a generic for SMD polymer capacitors for a while (then does the same thing with SP-Caps), but from ~8 minutes on explains things pretty well.

Also, 2GHz is well within the realm of stock boost clocks, especially for samples that are less power limited and/or cooler running, which is the main reason it's a problem. Even if it wasn't stock, and thus only an OC issue, better power is better power, and, all other things being equal, very desirable.

Last edited:
I read in the specialized press :

"The difference between the two cards (about fifteen percent) does not justify the difference in pricing for the gamer.

Those who need power for rendering software, can move towards such a model provided they have an urgent need for a large graphics memory"

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

I'm looking to go from 1080 Ti to 3080 and was considering ASUS TUF vs EVGA XC3. I'm a big fan of EVGA's customer support after I had to RMA a PSU with them: they impressed me by arranging a cross-shipping RMA with no quibbles. But their EU store is currently showing excl VAT prices that look like they were meant to be incl VAT prices. This has been raised in their forums so I'm waiting to see how that pans out.

But now I think I'm going to wait until supply and demand normalises in any case, and also to see if are any more issues like this power capacitor business lurking in the wings.

I'm looking to go from 1080 Ti to 3080 and was considering ASUS TUF vs EVGA XC3. I'm a big fan of EVGA's customer support after I had to RMA a PSU with them: they impressed me by arranging a cross-shipping RMA with no quibbles. But their EU store is currently showing excl VAT prices that look like they were meant to be incl VAT prices. This has been raised in their forums so I'm waiting to see how that pans out.

But now I think I'm going to wait until supply and demand normalises in any case, and also to see if are any more issues like this power capacitor business lurking in the wings.
That is going to be the same for me ... It is not like I could get a card anyway; I am in no particular rush although I would like to play CP2077 with all the bells and whistles. I will sit tight, see how "CapacitorGate" plays out and make a decision once I see what the AMD offering is like.

That is going to be the same for me ... It is not like I could get a card anyway; I am in no particular rush although I would like to play CP2077 with all the bells and whistles. I will sit tight, see how "CapacitorGate" plays out and make a decision once I see what the AMD offering is like.

Same here.

Remember, you never need more than what your monitor is capable of displaying. I'm probably going to look for the best option that will drive a 38" 3880X1600 G-Synch monitor, and there's also one that will use the AMD spec as well. So whatever I need to get a card that will hit 120 - 144 Hz refresh at native resolution is going to get my $$. Power efficiency will also be a factor. I thought about a 49" but i"m now back to leaning towards a 38" for the extra vertical pixels.

Good time to wait a bit and see how it all sorts out.

Remember, you never need more than what your monitor is capable of displaying.

Quite right. My use cases are 1440p RTX on (and probably with DLSS) and Valve Index. I have a 1440p 144Hz G-Sync monitor and don't feel any urge to go bigger, but the Valve Index will defintely benefit from the upgrade.

There are some advantages to higher frame rates, even if they are well in excess of display refresh rate; total display chain/input latency, for example.

Regardless, most people looking at these GPUs have uses in mind where keeping minimum frame rates above the refresh rate of their monitor will be hard enough.

At this rate I think the earliest real opportunity to buy a 3080 will be next year. At this point the supply is nowhere near the demand and I don't think it will change ahead of the holiday season.

I don't think stock levels will be good for a while, but I've seen some come back in stock intermittently, so there are opportunities for the lucky or persistent. I'm not in that huge of a rush and cannot really be bothered to stare at and refresh etailer tabs a hundred times a day. I do check times I think pages/inventory will be updated on the off chance I'll can snag one, but I'm content to wait if I don't.

I don't think stock levels will be good for a while, but I've seen some come back in stock intermittently, so there are opportunities for the lucky or persistent. I'm not in that huge of a rush and cannot really be bothered to stare at and refresh etailer tabs a hundred times a day. I do check times I think pages/inventory will be updated on the off chance I'll can snag one, but I'm content to wait if I don't.

Same here. I actually have a friend as proxy to buy the FE card in Germany, so even if I discover it being available, I need to reach out to him to actually order it - for that it has to be in store for at least 30 mins, and not from 6:00 AM.
I have shunned scalper retailers that raise the price every couple of day, and I want an FE anyway.

3070 is slightly faster, overall, than the 2080 Ti, in the selection of games tested.

It's release has been pushed back slightly, to Oct 29th.

So will it run crisis at maxed settings?

Yes, but you'll be CPU limited with anything out there as it's a DX10 game with a single threaded renderer.

Top Bottom