Hardware & Technical Latest Nvidia Ampere Rumours

I have a large fan at the front bottom behind a removable filter, a smaller exhaust fan at the back (plus the CPU cooler vent that pushes air tiwrds the exhaust fan), I have another removable filter at the bottom where the PSU pulls the air and that's where I just put a 140mm fan.

I feel like the case is pulling less air from other, non-filtered openings, and now that this fan blows cool air towards the GPU, mining temps dropped from 55C to 52C.

Any system with intake filters will usually need more intake than exhaust fans to have balanced or positive pressure, due to the restriction from the filter itself.

What case is this?

Any system with intake filters will usually need more intake than exhaust fans to have balanced or positive pressure, due to the restriction from the filter itself.

What case is this?

It's a Cooler Master CM690 III, wasn't a the most expensive case and by today's standards it is decisively oldschool, but it has good airflow with plenty of openings - and I like the simple design of it too. My only gripe is that with this giant GPU inside it feels a bit cramped. Also with the SATA rack gone my drives are laying around in the lower rack somewhat disorderly. :)

Now two bigger fans pull air with a single smaller one pushing it out right behind the CPU cooler. The PSU's fan is also pulling air via a filter.
I am considering tweaking fan speeds, mainly increasing rpm of the front big one to improve the airflow.

It's a Cooler Master CM690 III, wasn't a the most expensive case and by today's standards it is decisively oldschool, but it has good airflow with plenty of openings - and I like the simple design of it too. My only gripe is that with this giant GPU inside it feels a bit cramped. Also with the SATA rack gone my drives are laying around in the lower rack somewhat disorderly. :)

Now two bigger fans pull air with a single smaller one pushing it out right behind the CPU cooler. The PSU's fan is also pulling air via a filter.
I am considering tweaking fan speeds, mainly increasing rpm of the front big one to improve the airflow.

That case should be able to accept a pair of 120 or 140mm front fans, which may be a more viable option. 200mm fans can potentially move more air with less noise, but not while having to overcome the resistance of a filter.

If your drives are SSDs, you should be able to tuck them behind the motherboard tray.

That case should be able to accept a pair of 120 or 140mm front fans, which may be a more viable option. 200mm fans can potentially move more air with less noise, but not while having to overcome the resistance of a filter.

If your drives are SSDs, you should be able to tuck them behind the motherboard tray.

At the front bottom I already have a large fan (that is mounted as standard), at the top I could only push more air towards the CPU. The idea was that at the bottom I can directly push cool air onto the GPU fans and it did decrease temperatures by 3-4 degress,
BTW I checked the temps via HWiNFO and memory junction is running at 96 degrees - do you think it is of any concern and I should address it?

I do have one SATA HDD that is actually a fugitive from my fat PS3 (!) temporarily (I will remove it soon), the two other SSDs I try to put behind the mobo as suggested leaving one standard HDD at the front - and even that I may try to move out of the way of the front fan to the upper, empty CD drive racks, freeing up the airflow behind the large fan... thanks for the idea! :)

At the front bottom I already have a large fan (that is mounted as standard)

Yes, that's the 200mm fan I was suggesting might be better replaced by a pair of 140s, as there are more options for good fans with higher pressure ratings that may provide more airflow through a filter, without becoming too loud.

BTW I checked the temps via HWiNFO and memory junction is running at 96 degrees - do you think it is of any concern and I should address it?

That is too hot, and is either going to cause some sort of performance throttling, or could damage the memory in the long term.

This is the datasheet for the Micron GDDR6X that's on every RTX 3080: https://media-www.micron.com/-/medi...rief.pdf?rev=b65e2075b1f2437ab5fa0d4c06e6aa6f

Operating temperature limit is 95C.

Yes, that's the 200mm fan I was suggesting might be better replaced by a pair of 140s, as there are more options for good fans with higher pressure ratings that may provide more airflow through a filter, without becoming too loud.

That is too hot, and is either going to cause some sort of performance throttling, or could damage the memory in the long term.

This is the datasheet for the Micron GDDR6X that's on every RTX 3080: https://media-www.micron.com/-/medi...rief.pdf?rev=b65e2075b1f2437ab5fa0d4c06e6aa6f

Thank you, I thought so - I dialled back the memory OC and basically everything, now it rests at 92C.

So, played around with the settings, and now via Nicehash daggerhashimoto/excavator, the output is 86 MH/s @ 202W or 424 kH/J. Memory temps are at 90C, GPU at 47C, fans at 50%. Sort of tried a staged fan curve that ramps up the fan speed above 40C, then flat, and another jump if it goes above 60C (it isn't needed as 60C is really the hottest the GPU gets while gaming)
Approved? :)

So, played around with the settings, and now via Nicehash daggerhashimoto/excavator, the output is 86 MH/s @ 202W or 424 kH/J. Memory temps are at 90C, GPU at 47C, fans at 50%. Sort of tried a staged fan curve that ramps up the fan speed above 40C, then flat, and another jump if it goes above 60C (it isn't needed as 60C is really the hottest the GPU gets while gaming)
Approved? :)

Looks pretty good.

Regarding the GDDR6X temperature limit in the white paper, that's the case (center of the outside of the IC package) temp, not the junction temp HWiNFO is reporting.

You probably have a little more headroom than I initially thought. I've heard 110C is the throttle point, but lower is better, of course.

Thanks, I will try to tweak it a bit further, though I like the current efficiency.
Also, I decided not to cash out but keep the money in BTC.

Over here, GPU prices absolutely went berserk, 3070 costs as much (or rather more) now than a 3080 three weeks ago. Works wonders on my confirmation bias that I made a sound decision. :)

Supply is still tight, and even the MSRPs are likely to get a bump again to rising BoM costs.

My last hope is probably the EVGA queue that I'm in and a late Q1 supply injection from NVIDIA.

Saw a PowerColor Red Dragon 6800 XT in stock on Newegg for some outlandish price, but since my ETH has been hitting all time highs for the last four days running I said screw it and placed an order.

Unless demand is way higher than it should be for 1100 dollar 6800 XTs I should finally have a video card for my now 13th month old system. Edit: Looks like it shipped.

Will still try to get a 3080 or (3080 Ti if it turns out to be non-mythical at this point), but I'm under less pressure to snag less than ideal models of it now.

Last edited:
Saw a PowerColor Red Dragon 6800 XT in stock on Newegg for some outlandish price, but since my ETH has been hitting all time highs for the last four days running I said screw it and placed an order.

Unless demand is way higher than it should be for 1100 dollar 6800 XTs I should finally have a video card for my now 13th month old system. Edit: Looks like it shipped.

Will still try to get a 3080 or (3080 Ti if it turns out to be non-mythical at this point), but I'm under less pressure to snag less than ideal models of it now.

Insane. I was toying with the thought of buying a 10900k/3090 pre-built for $4k from Germany (free shipping) simply because 3090s go for $4k here, so I could offload the GPU while keeping the system for free.

3070s for higher price than what I paid for the 3080 Suprim X are gone too.

Of all this the most ridoculous is that a brand new 1050ti costs $320.

Yeah, no signs of the demand letting up or any major supply side relief for a while. New batches of cards should go through the end of Q1, but I doubt it will even dent demand or prices. So many industries and component sources are affected simultaneously, rare earth metals are up, essentially all IC prices are up--hell, some of the PWM controler IC on a few of the dead motherboards I've got are worth their weight in gold right now (which still isn't much, but it's over triple what they were a year ago)--capacitors, substrates, PCBs...all harder to get.

As far as GPUs are concerned anything that's new that can game or mine are all gone. Have to go back 3-4 generations to even get used hardware that isn't insanely overpriced.

Obviously a rumor, but I find it credible for a few reasons:

• It's significantly cheaper to use a dozen of the same low-density 19Gbps GDDR6X ICs that are on the current 3080 than it would be to use ten higher-density ones or twenty low-density ones of any speed.
  • GA102 parts with defective SMs are possibly more common than ones with defective memory controllers/PHYs.
  • It would be closer in performance to the 3080 than the 3090 than previously rumored specs, which would make it less likely to cannibalize the 3090 market.
  • 12GiB is plenty enough VRAM and the marketing value of more has been strongly diminished by the now widely demonstrated inferiority of competing products at higher-resolutions or when utilizing ray tracing; they just don't need the 20GiB selling point vs. 16GiB cards.

I think the MSRP will be $999, but supplies will still probably be tight, and I'd expect significant markups.

Last edited:

Obviously a rumor, but I find it credible for a few reasons:

• It's significantly cheaper to use a dozen of the same low-density 19Gbps GDDR6X ICs that are on the current 3080 than it would be to use ten higher-density ones or twenty low-density ones of any speed.
  • GA102 parts with defective SMs are possibly more common than ones with defective memory controllers/PHYs.
  • It would be closer in performance to the 3080 than the 3090 than previously rumored specs, which would make it less likely to cannibalize the 3090 market.
  • 12GiB is plenty enough VRAM and the marketing value of more has been strongly diminished by the now widely demonstrated inferiority of competing products at higher-resolutions or when utilizing ray tracing; they just don't need the 20GiB selling point vs. 16GiB cards.

I think the MSRP will be $999, but supplies will still probably be tight, and I'd expect significant markups.

So what, 3%ish performance difference? A better 3080 may outperform a lesser 3080ti.
It feels like a way to charge more for virtually the same card.

So what, 3%ish performance difference? A better 3080 may outperform a lesser 3080ti.
It feels like a way to charge more for virtually the same card.

It's certainly a way to increase their margins and preserve market segmentation. GDDR6X is also in tight supply, so opting for eight less ICs per unit should make it easier to produce in volume.

It's possible that a very good 3080 sample could match or best an average sample of this proposed 3080 Ti, but it would be difficult, especially at higher resolutions. The gap in memory bandwidth and ROP count is significant.

The previously floated specs, where it had the same functional units as the 3090, but with two of the memory channels unpopulated, would be more inconsistent in performance comparisons...matching the 3090 in some areas, but falling well short in others. These newer rumored specs are more reliably in the middle of the two parts.

Top Bottom