News Let's talk about Gnosis and the Cone Sector

To clarify: the issue isn't that the information was leaked early. The issue is that the news that it failed to make it to the Cone Sector was so thoroughly disappointing, and instead only moved one inconsequential jump.

You have to realize that people planned for this event for weeks spending dozens of hours unlocking modules via nauseating SRV/Guadian site collision mesh navigating and tens of millions of CRs shipping over various sets of gear with the anticipation of being locked off from the bubble.

All of that work was for nothing, because the ship only went ONE SYSTEM over, still well within reach of the bubble. It feels like a horrible and even cruel bait and switch. Doubtless, this was unintended, but we are left with 2 options: that Frontier was either a) thoughtlessly cruel about wasting 11000 players' time or b) Elite is such a low priority that there was woefully insufficient planning of this event and the impact the inconsequence of traveling to the Gnosis early would have on players' time. Neither is particularly encouraging.

Last edited:
To be fair on frontier I think they've explained this or at least provided insight into the decision making process. The community needs to stop defaulting to this child like toys out the pram approach and consider what happens behind the scenes. This was a player group initiative that frontier worked with the best they could which in my eyes was better than just saying "no you can't do that".

Deleted member 140600

D
I don't have any hatred. I am sad. Very sad. The biggest event since Salomé for: news published too early, a bug, and an impossible dream (jump to Cone)
I have been playing since 2014, have recorded more than 120 videos to help beginner pilots and have 15000 followers on my channel exclusively dedicated to Elite. I created several websites for the community, discord servers etc. this community talks to me: At the moment many players do not understand.

No, it's not hate or bashing. This is a disappointment that will have very serious consequences in the future, I think.

This is my worst moment on the game ever for me.

You can try to explain to them what means the "Dangerous" of the game title.

I know you are very experienced player because i've seen many of your videos and decided to join the Gnosis after the video you've made of it.

You serously expected to jump in the unknown without any problem ???

Wait a minute. :eek:

I have several friends who docked at the Gnosis for the sole reason to go to an uncharted part of the galaxy. They wanted to see never before seen systems. They waited for this day. And now, you say, if I understand correctly, that the Gnosis will not go there at all? So all this preparation was for basically nothing? Those Commanders can just come home from the Outotz sector because the megaship will not go anywhere, not the Cone Sector, not the Rift? Do I understand this correctly?

Get over it man, we were all told the risks before jumping our way out there, they said they had no idea what would happen. And not to break lore FDEV was cool with it, while I thought we’d get a sneak peek in to some lore, this is cool too, our station busted in transit, the thargoids ripping it out of space, it’s awesome!

Well played FDev, I'm enjoying the unfolding story. Also looking forward to seeing whether my unarmed Asp Explorer can escape later today. :)

You serously expected to jump in the unknown without any problem ???

No, we thought there would be actual effort for enjoyable gameplay. Didn't matter what it was made up of, just ANYTHING new. Now Gnosis isn't even going to the "unknown".
See the issue now?

I'd like to mention to some of you that the Gnosis is still intact and semi-operational. Struggle and strike lead to great journeys. When knocked down, get back up. Frodo did not take a taxi to Mordor and the book would've sucked it he did.
She may have not made it their today, but the mission remains clear.

Only I don't care any more. If it explodes with my ship still on board, I'm not bothered now.....totally disappointed with todays events.....in fact it's not been my week in terms of what FD has done or aren't doing!

I appreciate the explanation and that you're working on the bugs with the event as it currently is. I have mixed feelings about it though.

Working with Canonns’ event in mind, we decided to weave the event into the large game narrative, and the arrival of a threatening new Thargoid variant – the terrifying Hydra that some commanders woefully encountered recently.
The Canonn called for Commanders to join them on the expedition to the Cone Sector to make history in the name of both exploration and science!

With this growing uncertainty, the Pilots’ Federation reported that the jump to the Cone Sector was not safe, not advised and urged Commanders to steer clear of any journeys there, permit-locking the systems.
Despite these warnings, Canonn would still make the jump into the unknown. And, with them, approximately 11,000 Commanders, from all walks of life, allegiances and states, pledged to this legendary expedition. Whether driven by a pursuit of knowledge, fearlessness or even perhaps… madness, they pledged their ship and soul to the future of the Gnosis.

Logically, I understand why this is the outcome you (Frontier Developments) had to choose. You have plans for the Cone Sector and you couldn't allow players to go there, even those who cleverly thought to use the Gnosis' range to bypass other permit locked sectors. Trying to weave this into the narrative by itself was well-intentioned, but what went wrong here is that you sent mixed signals as the Dungeon Master of this story.

On one hand, allowing the Gnosis' jump schedule to remain as planned and on the other hand the pilots federation discouraging commanders from going with the Gnosis. Although that may have been a genuine warning to players to not get invested in this, it instead sparked enthusiasm for being able to go to a place that could not be visited otherwise, while the warning of thargoids attracted players who wanted to take on the new thargoid variant while potentially being stuck there and having to make do with what they could bring on the Gnosis. As a result, a lot of hype and expectations for some kind of big reveal or find in the Cone Sector built up during the lead-up to this jump, and many players dedicated their time to preparing for such an event.

With so many players involved, the event got a life of its own so the disappointment when the Gnosis ended up not really going anywhere was inevitable.

There are several ways that could have been handled better and avoid disappointing many players. A little out of character communication ("sorry guys, we have plans for the area and we can't actually let your megaship go there so expect something to go wrong") before the hype got too far out of hand or creating an in-universe reason for the Gnosis to not be allowed to jump there. Such as the Federation deciding the Gnosis can't be allowed to stir the hornet's nest and boarding the ship to steer it back to the Bubble.

I hope in the future you'll be more alert when player expectations for the ingame events you're creating become dangerously unrealistic and improve your responses (in-character and/or out of character if necessary) to avoid disappointment like that. :)

Now excuse me, my COVAS is warning me about more Thargoid scout attacks on the Gnosis... o7

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.
However, I don't thank FDev for this poor narrative event.
11000 commanders joined a "blaze your own trail" adventure with Canonn. There was explorers, scientists, AX soldiers, anti-PK/griefer warriors, medics, well, a lot of people.
Gnosis attack was expected (and many people wanted the Gnosis to be attacked, how about having AX weapons to discover 3 systems somewhere ?). However, instead of having a ultra-hype scenario with players, replaying a '33 minutes' battlestar Galactica episode, discovering the truth about Thargoids (are they controlled by some entity or do they play on their own ?), having a specific CG to find materials on newly discovered planets in the stranded Gnosis system, we had .... we had a Galnet Ellipse !!!
Do you roleplay ? do you have narrative designer ? 11000 players didn't sign to be stopped at the start of a crazy journey. You won half this people leaving or wanting to leave the game, you won the other half to go back to their homebase, you let the Gnosis abandoned by most of community. Ow, and by the way : tons of AX players were in he Gnosis, when it was attacked, they weren't be able to react (during in the update, ok), so they go out now and they've been fired at by flak Gnosis weapons, because they use weapons in the neutral zone !!! , do you know army base firing at their defenders while it's under enemy fire ???
I'm member of Aymerix community, let me tell you a big part of french community is disappointed, and we don't him leaving the game, because he's a roleplay mentor of your game, unfortunately, you're not FDev...

Here are my thoughts:

1) Due to time difference, the "surprise" was not spoiled for me. I purposefully avoided the forums and social media this morning before logging into the game to experience the event myself.

2) The Thargoid attack really wasn't that much of a surprise because of various hints. However, the way it's being executed is brutal. I'm in a fairly tough Keelback, and I can't even get clear of the landing pad before I'm sent to the rebuy screen. I didn't come all the way out here to fight Thargoids, I came out here to explore, and that's how my ship is configured. Now I'm stuck in a hangar bay for who knows how long, which is the very opposite experience of exploring.

3) If the Gnosis was never able to jump into the Cone Sector, then it should have been just as obvious as it is that I cannot personally jump into the Cone Sector. Using Thargoids to punish eager explorers who were led to believe this expedition was a viable venture is just cruel IMO. It quite frankly feels like a big middle finger directed at your explorer community, many of whom have no interest in combat in general, let alone combat with end-game "boss" ships like the Thargoids attacking Gnosis.

4) I do appreciate what I think you were attempting to do, but it was executed all wrong IMO. Had we actually been able to make it into the Cone Sector, and had we been given a chance to clear the Gnosis before being attacked (instead of being destroyed on the pad), then this would have been the exciting adventure I was expecting. You didn't have to unlock the entire Cone Sector. Surely the Gnosis entering one system wouldn't have spoiled your "future narrative". But if it truly would have, then Canonn should never have been able to set a course there to begin with. Hundreds of eager explorers being slaughtered on the landing pads of the Gnosis after weeks of preparation is NOT the narrative you should be pushing right now...

Last edited:
I don't have any hatred. I am sad. Very sad. The biggest event since Salomé for: news published too early, a bug, and an impossible dream (jump to Cone)
I have been playing since 2014, have recorded more than 120 videos to help beginner pilots and have 15000 followers on my channel exclusively dedicated to Elite. I created several websites for the community, discord servers etc. this community talks to me: At the moment many players do not understand.

No, it's not hate or bashing. This is a disappointment that will have very serious consequences in the future, I think.

This is my worst moment on the game ever for me.

It seems you and I have very similar viewer bases and subscriber numbers - and this is exactly 100% my reaction. The issue isn't that it was leaked early, as it trying to be spun here - it's that the community was lead along for a farce - it's even worse to know now that they never had any intention of allowing us to jump into Cone and that thousands of commanders spend thousands of hours working to plan for the "event".

This really is Elite at the lowest point I've seen in my 2 years, 3800 hours and 15,000 subscribers.

It's very, very sad.

Stealthie

Banned
There comes a point when the decent thing to do is set aside the "corporate speak" and act as if you're speaking directly to another person.

FDev, you screwed up.
You misled a heap of people and then you botched the "prank" you decided to enact.
You did this just after cancelling content for Q4.

I'd suggest the following:-

1) Apologise.
2) Explain how you are going to do things differently, moving forward, in order to avoid a repeat of this shambles.
3) Consider whether it's wise to keep listening to whoever comes up with the ideas for these "pranks".

With this info now coming out that the jump was never going to happen anyway, I wonder why Frontier just didn't say "No" to the proposed flight plan.
I mean the Gnosis' flight plan is always subject to review by FDev anyway so they could have reviewed it, noticed it was jumping to a non locked system in an otherwise locked zone, corrected the error and THEN said no.
There would have been no drama, no horrible fallout and we would have been none the wiser that the Cone Sector is in fact reserved for future content which was now confirmed here.

All that would have been needed was for FDev to ask Canonn to keep quiet that their proposed flight plan was rejected.

Likely didn't notice in time, due to the system itself not being locked. With their talk of god-modding, it seems that Frontier didn't want this jump to occur, but they missed their normal opportunity to veto it. They could either backtrack and admit a mistake, or try and work it into an event. Unfortunately, lack of preparation time meant the event itself doesn't appear to have been tested, and the premise of the "event" itself was doomed to disappoint from the beginning. Frontier shouldn't have advertised it like there were discoveries to be made in the Cone if they never intended for us to go there.

Top Bottom