LIFETIME Expansion pass, and Python Mk2

Between Kickstarter and Horizons, the LEP was available during early alpha/beta days of ED; I bought mine in July 2014 for €40.

In fact I believe that was the first time the name “Lifetime Expansion Pass” was used, and unlike the “unlimited access” Kickstarter pledge, originally the LEP did not confer access to betas — that started with the 1.4 beta in mid-2015, IIRC.
LEP was offered again when Horizons was released or some time before the release. You could choose buy horizons or the LEP and have the Horizons update and all in the future for free. You got the Cobra MK4 also as every player that bought horizons at a limited time frame.
The price was 170€ or more. The LEP was also offered sooner at the point Where Kickstarter was running maybe later too and did not cost that much.

As LEP owner i had access to all betas that came after Horizons release ( maybe i could also parcipate in horizons beta if there was some. I cant remember it anymore ).

There seem to be a few of us fessing up that we aren't giving Frontier money any more for various reasons.
I have no problem with what FD are doing re. early access to ships and selling ships. But I also committed to not spending anything on E: D until they fix Iridescent Gleam. :D So that's since Odyssey was launched and still counting...

Mind you, I do still like to buy the odd bit of merchandise in the sales.

What is a real slap in the face, is the fact that LEP holders got told to stuff it and buy it, or wait till aug 7th, But content partners aka streamers got it for free to SHOW others.

Quite a REAL slap in the face to lep holders.
But did the LEP holders want it on a testing server rather than in the game?

The Lifetime Expansion Pass also includes access to all Elite: Dangerous Beta builds to gain an early glimpse at upcoming game content before release plus exclusive content.
I would say access to the test server is the most legitimate complaint that could be made. I draw a clear line between early access in the live game and beta access, but pretending a test server and a beta server are two different things is too much for even me. That would put LEP holders in a position of getting it briefly then having to pay for it once live (edit: if they didn't want to wait 3 months), which is odd.

What is a real slap in the face, is the fact that LEP holders got told to stuff it and buy it, or wait till aug 7th, But content partners aka streamers got it for free to SHOW others.

Quite a REAL slap in the face to lep holders.
I'm an LEP holder, having played Elite since July 2014, and received the ships for free through the partner program for my French-language Youtube channel (99% dedicated to Elite since 2014). I'm grateful to Frontier for these opportunities.

I don't see why content creators are being singled out in this discussion?
Also, I would find it really cool if LEPs could have access, but I respect FD's decision.

The Lifetime Expansion Pass also includes access to all Elite: Dangerous Beta builds to gain an early glimpse at upcoming game content before release plus exclusive content.
I would say access to the test server is the most legitimate complaint that could be made. I draw a clear line between early access in the live game and beta access, but pretending a test server and a beta server are two different things is too much for even me. That would put LEP holders in a position of getting it briefly then having to pay for it once live (edit: if they didn't want to wait 3 months), which is odd.

LEP get the thing (in this case the ship) "for free" in 3 months so you're not really missing out. LEP appears to exclude the microtransactions. Otherwise you'd get all the paintjobs, bobbleheads for free.

Last edited:
P2 isn't a microtransaction - advanced access to it is. The P2 is being added as part of Odyssey in August so LEP could have been given access now as it would have been in the spirit of the LEP.

ah well - this week it doesn't seem fdev are trying to keep anyone happy :)

stll, it's a bit far fetched to assimilate the early access to a PDLC or a beta release

edit: but yea, they seem to manage to miff off everyone - which is quite a rare feat

Top Bottom