Little things that break immersion and world integrity.

You may be underestimating the sheer size of a star system by a bit, if you believe a few dozen fleet carriers would create some kind of congestion in space... Anyway, great post!

Oh no, it has nothing to do with congestion. Although, it could be argued they would create congestion via added traffic load on the system's space stations from visiting ships.

Anyways...

No, no, I meant it would be a logical liability the same way parking many warships off a neighboring nation's coast might make them a little worried. FCs are capable of ferrying about an enormous amount of mobile destruction. With little to no restriction on their payload for that matter. In a system with a population of only a few million, I'd be rightly terrified if fifteen or more FCs arrived packing four or more large combat ships on them.

This thread has been running for nearly three years now and while its a great thread to list ideas and frustrations, ultimately it seems like none of these issues will ever be addressed by the ED devs. I think we all love playing ED but these little things just gnaw away at you each session you play and make you wonder why they don't at least address some of the low hanging fruit that would require minimal dev work and could be fixed relatively quickly. I wondering if the reason lies in the fact that the developers and the ED team more generally probably just don't get to play or enjoy the game the way we do. We get to just log in and enjoy the end product. Kind of like cooking dinner for a group of people or being cooked for! We know overall its great and appreciate the effort, but fixing the little things would make it exceptional. I'm wondering if what we really need is a user ideas voting type forum, something like UseResponse, Fider, UserVoice etc. We could list out and focus on only those ideas that we think would require the least amount of development time. The community could then vote on these ideas and the dev team would be able to see clearly what small changes users want. Admittedly it would be hard for us non-devs to determine what would require minimal coding but surely something like stopping the search zones from moving around or popping into existence when you get there would classify as a small thing. Id even be happy to pay for a cloud hosting tool if it meant we could finally get some of these small things fixed that have been breaking immersion for years on end. Sure, the big things like space legs, landing on atmospheric worlds etc are great, but its the little things that are experienced every session that endear players to the game and make them advocates for it. In many respects these small things are more important than the big features.

We had focused feedback some years ago. Even started a Powerplay portion for a brief time...not sure why it was suddenly nixed.

Probably because it showcased how little effort was being put into polish.

A case in point: an asset that is sold frequently - ship kits - has a terribly high chance of clipping on the existing ship model in a way that makes no sense. An example is how many ship kit pieces partially - not completely - cover heat vents, such that heat vents look very strange when activating. Another example is how some ship kit pieces actually cover the external lamps.

Given how the issue tracker is implemented...I dunno a voter forum for ideas would fare any better. I support the notion, mind you, but my faith in FDev has been pretty low since FCs were first announced - as squadron assets - years before they were ever implemented, and horribly at that (in my opinion, of course).

Previous Elite games let you pick a star to lock on to via the FSD. What counts as part of a system and what isn't seems to be purely arbitrary, like you can't lock onto Proxima Centauri despite being 0.21ly away from Alpha Centauri, but there are many systems in and out the bubble less than 0.1ly away from each other that the FSD considers to be separate systems (allowing you to pick a star to drop at). Realistically, if a player has system data and knows what masses there are to lock on to, they should be able to pick any celestial body to drop out near, just like a capital ship - including FCs. So far I've not found a reason why the FSD needs to put you at the dead center of a system.

Previous Elite games let you pick a star to lock on to via the FSD. What counts as part of a system and what isn't seems to be purely arbitrary, like you can't lock onto Proxima Centauri despite being 0.21ly away from Alpha Centauri, but there are many systems in and out the bubble less than 0.1ly away from each other that the FSD considers to be separate systems (allowing you to pick a star to drop at). Realistically, if a player has system data and knows what masses there are to lock on to, they should be able to pick any celestial body to drop out near, just like a capital ship - including FCs. So far I've not found a reason why the FSD needs to put you at the dead center of a system.

Since this is the 'immersion' thread, I'll talk about that and ignore gameplay.

This makes sense in-game. Capital ships and FCs use a completely different drive. Your FSD targets the body with the highest mass. It's not hard to believe their are technical difficulties that prevent you from selecting other bodies. The equipment simply isn't good enough to let you lock on to a candle right in front of a star, metaphorically speaking.

Since this is the 'immersion' thread, I'll talk about that and ignore gameplay.

This makes sense in-game. Capital ships and FCs use a completely different drive. Your FSD targets the body with the highest mass. It's not hard to believe their are technical difficulties that prevent you from selecting other bodies. The equipment simply isn't good enough to let you lock on to a candle right in front of a star, metaphorically speaking.
Sorry, it does make sense. If you jump to the primary, you should be able to jump to a secondary after doing a system scan or if you have the system data. This would be much better and save a ton of time in the game. But then it would be immediately apparent that the inch deep content would be much more visible without the mile wide jaunt...

Last edited:

In general, I agree, but the consistency of this mechanism is all over the place.

There are systems where secondaries of similar mass are further out than the distance between some discrete systems. NAV beacons could explain some of this, but there are also systems that have NAV beacons at their secondaries as well, that still cannot be jumped to.

The only things I feel strongly needed in Elite for authenticity reasons are:

Interiors with animated entry and exit
Realistic refuelling/repair/restock times and animations (or at least a toggle switch to allow it)
Multicrew NPC presence in cockpit

Everything else I'm not that bothered. Hopefully the more we whinge the more FDEV will take note? Right?! ...

Your FSD targets the body with the highest mass. It's not hard to believe their are technical difficulties that prevent you from selecting other bodies.
Er, what technical difficulties? I've seen stars closer and heavier than the Centauri system and I've been able to target either. There's nothing I can think of that would prevent the FSD from locking onto any mass in the system - I can jump to a tiny brown dwarf in the middle of nowhere but I can't lock onto the distant, smaller supergiant in a system of 2 behemoths.
The equipment simply isn't good enough to let you lock on to a candle right in front of a star, metaphorically speaking.
The ship has a good enough aim to hit a golf ball from thousands of kilometres, metaphorically speaking, so why can't it aim for any mass in a system? As Morbad said, it's rather arbitrary what defines a discrete system.

Er, what technical difficulties? I've seen stars closer and heavier than the Centauri system and I've been able to target either. There's nothing I can think of that would prevent the FSD from locking onto any mass in the system - I can jump to a tiny brown dwarf in the middle of nowhere but I can't lock onto the distant, smaller supergiant in a system of 2 behemoths.

The ship has a good enough aim to hit a golf ball from thousands of kilometres, metaphorically speaking, so why can't it aim for any mass in a system? As Morbad said, it's rather arbitrary what defines a discrete system.

It's not just size and distance that's important, but the proximity of other big bodies that might interfere with your instruments.

Of course it's not perfect and there will be inconsistencies, it's still a game. I think the explanation is good enough. Otherwise we'd have to start arguing about how hyper jumps aren't possible and neither are the spaceships we have.

It's not just size and distance that's important, but the proximity of other big bodies that might interfere with your instruments.

Of course it's not perfect and there will be inconsistencies, it's still a game. I think the explanation is good enough. Otherwise we'd have to start arguing about how hyper jumps aren't possible and neither are the spaceships we have.
Why aren't instruments interfered with in closer discrete systems?

Why aren't instruments interfered with in closer discrete systems?

[...]
Of course it's not perfect and there will be inconsistencies, it's still a game. [...]

Also, you may have noticed that mass lock doesn't always work the same way. Surely even a tiny planet has quite a bit more mass than a space station but the distances you have to get away from them are in no meaningful relation. That's not because Frontier can't implement it like that, but probably because most players wouldn't want to have to fly in real space for hours whenever they are leaving a planet.

Oh no, it has nothing to do with congestion. Although, it could be argued they would create congestion via added traffic load on the system's space stations from visiting ships.

Anyways...

No, no, I meant it would be a logical liability the same way parking many warships off a neighboring nation's coast might make them a little worried. FCs are capable of ferrying about an enormous amount of mobile destruction. With little to no restriction on their payload for that matter. In a system with a population of only a few million, I'd be rightly terrified if fifteen or more FCs arrived packing four or more large combat ships on them.
I think some things should be ignored for gameplay reasons. ED would be a lot more fun if it wasn't trying to be ultra-realistic with silly travel times and a boring grind. I don't think anyone would be happy if their FCs could only visit less populated systems for the sake of a population that only exists as some numbers on the system info.

Reminds me, why can't I inject my whole fuel tank into the FSD and just do a jump across the bubble?

Without knowing how the FSD actually works, and what the heck the fictional interstellar jumping actually involves, who knows? I can dream-up a host of explanations why the FSD operates as it does. It is a fictional piece of hardware. The author of the game has designed the various aspects of the fictional universe. Trying to arm-wave issues with how highly sophisticated fictional equipment operates is silly.

Edit:
Related to the OP and the overall topic of the thread I don't see how the FSD and interstallar jumping causes immersion issues. Sure its fictional, but it doesn't cause me any immersion issues.

Last edited:
A little gripe I've got is when a wannabe NPC pirate illegally pulls and scans you and you have nothing they need and then they proceed to fly away. You can attack them and they do nothing to retaliate and just carry on flying away while you attack them as if nothing is happening.

NPCs should be harder to fight in interdictions. In a T9, I end up spending the first half of the interdiction almost 90 degrees to my escape vector and somehow not dropping out, then I spend the latter half pointing at the escape vector whilst it barely moves.

Top Bottom