Live Forum Q&A - Audio!

Zac Antonaci

Head of Communications
Frontier
The Q & A Session for this event has ended, no further questions will be actively answered in this thread! Thanks. ~Brett C

Hey guys,

I hope you all enjoyed the livestream and are looking forward to some of the cool new toys coming in alpha two!

As promised on our schedule of activities we have a second Planet Coaster Live Forum Q&A. This week with the wonderful audio team!

This week we are joined by the very lovely Mat Florianz, Lead Audio Designer and Jon Ashby, Graduate programmer to answer all your questions.

Please remember: These sessions are all about getting closer to the development teams involved in making Planet Coaster. While I'm sure they have a lot of cool information to share with you, it is important to understand that they'll be focusing on audio specific questions and ones that relate to the work their currently working on. For game design questions, rides and coaster those will all be taken next week.

So try and keep the questions Audio based. The team will do what they can to answer questions but they might not be able to answer all and they will try and take a fair number from each page to ensure everyone gets a fiar chance to have their questions answered.

With that all covered, get your questions in now for the Q&A which will be going live at 18:00-20:00 BST 12/05/16

First off, thank you for answering our questions! I would like to know if you guys are planning for ambient sounds? It would be nice to have wind and nature sounds for our rides and gardens. Also will there be place-able speakers for paths and rides in the future?

Could you give confirmation on Custom Music and rides of which the cars have build in speakers?

Also are there possibly going to be placeable sound effects?

Last edited:
Alot of the music in Planet Coaster is great so far, loving that the Rocktopus sounds like music from Splatoon!

Will we have radio stations and / or perhaps DJ mixes, for example, one of my favourite things on GTA4 (TBOGT) was the ElectroChoc mix by The Crookers.
Also, what genre's of music would you like to see in game, or artists / producers would you like to have in game?

There are so many things i love about the audio in the game, but i want to talk about one thing.
The sound going through the day.

What was the moment like when you heard and saw it in combination with animation for the first time?
What was your inspiration for choosing the sounds of sunrise, sundown, etc.

Hey guys!

Nice to meet you! First of all, it's a pleasure to have you here, in our community. I'm a sound engineer so I'm very intrigued about your audio work. I have a big and very interesting triple question! I hope you like it.

How do you recorded the sounds? (equipment, microphones...). Do you spent some time on different theme parks searching the rides to capture their sounds effects? How are you synchronized with the rides in game?

Let me tell you that you've done an incredible work with audio set. There is a lot of different sound effects in the park and one of my favourite detail is the specific sound that you can hear when you put some scenary element in the park (that's incredible and lovely).

Last edited:
As the question for custom music and onboard coaster music (and I hope also we can put speakers around the park) has already been done, let me ask this.

I heard some time ago some of the audio team were let alone inside alton towers to record the sounds of coaster and rides. Is that true? If it was, what was the experience? How fo you retrouch real life audio so it then sounds good when mixed in the game for the games needs (I know that can be pretty hard, and thats why sometimes audio teams prefer to create their audios instead of recording the real things)?

Other than that, I have to say that the audio of the game is top notch and some of the best ive ever seen in any game, and im seriously not kidding or exaggerating. When you are in the agme it really seems you are surrounded in a real theme park. And thats not even counting details like putting scenery creating a feedback sound. Totally marvelous.
Also big thumbs up at the soundtrack right now, and I can't even begin to describe how MUCH I love how you made the loading screen music flow with the loading so the music finishes in different points depending of how many time it takes to load. And I LOVE the chorus part.

Last edited:

Vampiro

Volunteer Moderator
As much as i love the sounds and theme's that are in the game... i still would like to know if we will have custom music and loudspeakers as it must be one of the most requested features.

Hi noise maker people,

I loved what you guys did with the drop tower ride with the music creating tension prior to the drop. That bass note right before the plunge really taps into that feeling of excitement/terror you'd expect to feel at that moment. Which leads me to a question.

Have you any plans to incorporate on-ride announcing? You know, simple repeatable things heard when zoomed in to the rides, stuff like "5,4,3,2,1" or "Here we go" or even a simple "please do not stand up" on lift hills?

I think this would be a simple touch that would add so much authenticity and atmosphere to the game.

I do believe it is these little touches that matter, and that audio is one of the biggest factors in propelling this game into the stratosphere!!

Anyway guys, loved what you've done so far, and have every faith you're going to pull off a masterclass in sound design.

What music do you all at Frontier like to listen to? And which genre/type of music do you like to make?

hi audio team !
my question is : could we have audio announcement in ride and queues, like security messages and so on, it would add so much realism in the game !
and like everyone i want speakers and custom music !

Hi noise maker people,I loved what you guys did with the drop tower ride with the music creating tension prior to the drop. That bass note right before the plunge really taps into that feeling of excitement/terror you'd expect to feel at that moment. Which leads me to a question.

Reminded me alot of The Detonator, both different though, The Detonator has a countdown and a "Boom boom" sort of sound, and The Screaminator had its heartbeat type ending, hoping the screaminator will let us adjust its height, and maybe I can add The Detonator's music hehe

1. I want to know if we will have speakers in the game that can play custom music?
  2. Will we be able to cut down that music into small repeatable or ride triggered part?
  3. Can we assign a music to a building so it can be heard through all the buildings? ( would be extremely useful with the option above to do dark ride)
  4. Are we going to be able to sync music with rides? ( both flat ride and coaster.)

Last edited:
Hi sound people. Just want to say the sound design is magnificent. It gives such atmosphere to our parks.

I'd like to ask: Will different coaster types make different sounds, just like in real life?

Here are some ideas / questions:

1. Will we be able to upload our own MP3 files to the game directory and assign them to certain rides?

2. Will we be able to upload audio files of our own voices to make park announcements on a "PA" system?

3. Will the songs assigned to each ride fade lower or louder depending on the first person / camera proximity to the ride?

4. Will there be audio event triggers? Like when you get to a certain point on a rollercoaster, can an audio trigger be placed to play at an exact point in the ride? LIke sound FX?

5. Maybe the crowd can understand and react to certain words.... speech recognition......... ok maybe that's going too advanced and too far? Ok i'll stop here. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom